IGNORED

BMW BATTERY CHARGER...

shatzbot10

OK!OK! This topic has been addressed before, umpteen times. Still, the "search" function (on this forum)isn't a help.

Problem: What is the proper sequence to charging battery? Plug in charger 1st; then, insert charger's plug in to adapter (on bike)? OR? Plug in charger in to bike, THEN plug in charger?

The (repurchased..I lost my '05) owner manual is not clear ("see BMW dealer"..or something). The charger's "instruction manual" doesn't mention squat. Nor am I aware of exactly what the "green", "amber" and "red" lights signify. Sometimes, the lights progress from "red" to "green" and remain on "green" almost indefinitely. Sometimes, not (remaining on "red"). Is the battery in need of further charging (when in the "red" mode)? Or is it beyond life; and, require replacement?

Whatever suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

T/Y

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

1 - plug charger into bike powerlet outlet then

2- plug charger into 120v wall outlet.

i.e "Plug in charger in to bike, THEN plug in charger"

there is a sticker on my 9$ HF made in china float charger to this effect. i don't trust it so i am going to use it 2 days a month only. dec 1&2, jan 1&2, etc till spring.

i dont have any lights on my charger but i can say normally green is good!

what is the manuf and model of your charger?

is it a float charger or just a charger?

if the latter i would say that when it is green it is telling your battery is charged and the charge can be removed.

yellow might be you have the polarity reversed.

red might be 'charging'.

if you ride a lot and your battery is good it wont need much charging (see my charging plans above)

Interesting question as I just purchased this weekend the expensive BMW battery charger and the parts guy gave me the complete instructions for my R1200RT, which would apply to all the newer Boxers and K bikes, so here goes:

1. Turn the key into the on position, but don't start the bike. Let the electronics cycle through the normal startup position (red-amber warning light until you see the brake failure text just lit up, usually about a 5-10 second affair.

2. Insert the battery charger's plug into the bike's accessory socket.

3. Insert electrical cord of battery charger's in wall socket.

4. Wait for the battery charger to cycle through it's startup procedure and see the green light for power stay on and either one of the four lights on the other side of the box will light up (red, less than 1/3 charge, 1 amber for 1/3 charge, 1 amber for 2/3 charge, green for full charge). This should take no more than 10 seconds.

5. Turn key to off position.

That is all there is to it.

Chris

Thank you, Chris & Cameron. Why these easy directions weren't apparent in either the Owners Manual or the instruction page (sold with the charger) is a mystery.

Now, if the "red" light remains "on" for, say an overnight period, does that suggest I consider a new battery?

Joe

Thank you, Chris & Cameron. Why these easy directions weren't apparent in either the Owners Manual or the instruction page (sold with the charger) is a mystery.

Now, if the "red" light remains "on" for, say an overnight period, does that suggest I consider a new battery?

Joe

I believe so, which means a more in depth testing of the battery is in order... I just happen to be having my 24K service this Friday at the dealer, so I have them test it. The battery is a least 3 years old and I ride year round. If the light stays red and you used the steps outlined above exactly (what my parts counter guy said that you need to do it in that order and wait for everything to cycle through thoroughly for it to work properly), then my best educated guess is that the battery is going bad. How old is the battery, btw?

Chris

Chris, I acquired the battery (& bike) October 12, 2005. Next question (to anyone reading this post): Is there another brand battery (other than BMW) recommended?

Thanks,

Joe

I think you can find another brand of battery... one thing about the new BMW batteries since 05... I believe that they are using Gel Batteries now (I could be wrong about that, but I think they have switched from the acid batteries now). I got a price of around $170.00 for a Exide BMW replacement battery (ouch!)... you may be able to save some money going with another type of Gel Battery. Another thing that I have read is that battery prices have shot through the roof, Bikes and Cars, etc. Raw materials prices have increased consumer prices.

Also, with your battery probably being original to the bike from 05, I would bet that you are due for a new one.

Chris

Interesting question as I just purchased this weekend the expensive BMW battery charger and the parts guy gave me the complete instructions for my R1200RT, which would apply to all the newer Boxers and K bikes, so here goes:

1. Turn the key into the on position, but don't start the bike. Let the electronics cycle through the normal startup position (red-amber warning light until you see the brake failure text just lit up, usually about a 5-10 second affair.

2. Insert the battery charger's plug into the bike's accessory socket.

3. Insert electrical cord of battery charger's in wall socket.

4. Wait for the battery charger to cycle through it's startup procedure and see the green light for power stay on and either one of the four lights on the other side of the box will light up (red, less than 1/3 charge, 1 amber for 1/3 charge, 1 amber for 2/3 charge, green for full charge). This should take no more than 10 seconds.

5. Turn key to off position.

That is all there is to it.

Chris

A variant which usually works for me is to turn the ignition on, let it go thru the self-check, turn it off, and then (without delay) plug in the charger as you've described. This works as the CANBUS keeps the port live for a set time before shutting it down.

Tom

Chris, I acquired the battery (& bike) October 12, 2005. Next question (to anyone reading this post): Is there another brand battery (other than BMW) recommended?

Thanks,

Joe

Oddysey PC680 for the best quality available. UB12220 Universal 12 volt 22AH for good but cheap. linky

Andy

The saga continues......

Unwilling to risk an unscheduled stoppover, I had a new BMW battery installed this morning. I was informed that I brought the bike in "too early", (not true..as I was told by the "parts" guy that the shelf batteries all had 80% charge) since 5 hrs was required to trickle charge the batery just off the shelf. New bat. installed, bike in garage with trickle charger on (as per Chris's instructions..see above).

Problem: the charger has been trickling for 5 hrs with no advancement passed the 1st(1/3 charge)amber light. Should I be concerned something is amiss?

Thank you,

Joe

Ignore previous post!!! Charger hit the green light in slightly over 5 hrs. Mechanic was right. This is the last comment from me on this topic. Thanks to all that wrote.

Joe

Archived