turn signal switches,

nobbies,

non-integral brakes,

no ABS,

no heated grips (at least it's got a powerlet for my Gerbing liner),

lubricating cables

and...

...Doohickeys!

Motorcycle No. 12, Kawasaki No. 3 Lifetime (and still counting)

Segregated brakes will teach you how to ride a motorcycle, no insult intended to your abilities.

Knobbies are good. :thumbsup:

Where there are chain, there are sprockets nearby. :grin:

If you don't have the experience, have someone that does show you what to look for with regard to worn sprockets.

Dual sporting is the best! :thumbsup:

Segregated brakes will teach you how to ride a motorcycle, no insult intended to your abilities.

None taken. I've got nearly 200k miles on segregated brakes (plus the 135k on segregated brakes). At first, I thought fully integrated brakes were cool, but I've just gotten lazy and seldom use the rear brake pedal. Now, I totally freak out whenever I hit a bit of dirt because I know I can't touch either brake.

Where there are chain, there are sprockets nearby. :grin:

If you don't have the experience, have someone that does show you what to look for with regard to worn sprockets.

I've been doing some heavy reading. The last bike I owned that had a chain was sold in 1981.

I still like chewing up kilo-miles on a nice two lane back road so I'll disagree with you for now.

Now, I totally freak out whenever I hit a bit of dirt because I know I can't touch either brake.

With some practice, you'll soon see how much you can use BOTH brakes.

I still like chewing up kilo-miles on a nice two lane back road so I'll disagree with you for now.

Just wait till you hang the back end out on a fire road. You'll be singin' a different tune then. :Cool:

No matter what, you've opened up a whole new realm of riding. :thumbsup:

Ya know, Bill, I gots a Bungle Bee in the garage that's just waiting for the right guy to come along and say, I got's to have that. Now you settle for some fine piece of eastern machinery that will do but doesn't stand up to ADVENTURER as does the old BungleBee. So you sell out to the BMW way of going, Enjoy and don't get caught in the soft stuff. Sand makes for a magnificient launch! :dopeslap:

Ya know, Bill, I gots a Bungle Bee in the garage that's just waiting for the right guy to come along and say, I got's to have that. Now you settle for some fine piece of eastern machinery that will do but doesn't stand up to ADVENTURER as does the old BungleBee. So you sell out to the BMW way of going, Enjoy and don't get caught in the soft stuff. Sand makes for a magnificient launch! :dopeslap:

I didn't sell out, Greg. My RT is still in the garage. I still drink the Kool Aid. Don't worry about that. I just got a great deal that I couldn't pass up and one I didn't think you could match unless you were planning a major remodel at Casa de Greg.

:thumbsup:

I got a KLR three years ago, it's a great bike and has opened many roads for me.

I had never ridden backroads, except on my RT.

This dualsport riding is lots of fun, find some good off-road boots, I like Gaerne Explorers.

Carry Ibuprofen!

Go thed the ADV site, they have a list of posts on EVERYTHING KLR related... Doohickeys and such all covered in detail and they have a tool pool that you can join with all the tools needed for the Doohickey and other "needed" mods.. Enjoy the beast and eat some dirt, I just picked up a KTM 400sxc myself for some future dirt stupidity.

Congratulations, the KLR will be a nice complement to your RT. I'm on my second KLR now. Do change the tensioner lever and spring. On my 99 I did it around 8K. I found 1/2 of the spring attached to the lever and never did find the other half. That would have made a mess of the motor if I'd done another adjustment with the spring no longer functioning!

While this looks like fun, I don't think it will be for me. The KLR is intended to be a local bike allowing me to go on some adventures without having to ride 500 miles just to start the adventure.

It really is a great bike!! While I recently added this to the garage:

RT.jpg

I have had this for about 3 years:

KLR_tour.jpg

Previous bikes include a Suzuki GS500, Honda VFR, and Honda GL1800. While I think the RT is an awesome bike - I absolutely love it, and love it more every time I mount it - the KLR is a bike that I know I will never get rid of. Despite the fact that I have more into it in aftermarket parts than it was worth new, the bike is just plain fun. Believe it or not, there are times when I have a hard time deciding which bike to take - the KLR or RT. The bike's simplicity and lack of technology is appealing to me. I love the fact that I can dump the bike off-road, hammer a few things back into place and the bike just keeps on going. I'm sure you have found the board, but if not, check out KLR650.net - it's a great site where you can learn tons about the bike. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions.

I just test rode a KLR today (before it snowed several inches) and think I will buy one soon. I was surprised at how much fun it was. I haven't had a chain drive bike since my 550 Suzuki in college.

Bill

07R1200RT

It really is a great bike!! While I recently added this to the garage:

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions.

The pictures are great with the exception of the Corvette in the background. 20 years ago, I thought a Corvette would be the same as a motorcycle only you didn't have to wear a helmet. That six year period was the only time when there wasn't a motorcycle in my garage since puberty.

I took a better picture than the original two I originally posted:

BillsKLR.jpg

Congrats! You know, our own "eaglemike" here on the DB and living in San Diego is the KLR guru, right? You ought to come down and see him crank out a few doohickey's in his shop. All that computer controlled metal working machinery will give you BIG WOOD . . . and he can give you a head's up on getting that pre-owned bike ready for the road. Not to mention Mike and his SO are absolutely wonderful folks.

Enjoy and don't break anything too soon! :grin:

Yeah, for sure the Vette and bikes are not the same, but Corvettes are a separate addiction unto themselves :dopeslap: Anyway, enjoy the KLR - looks like it already has a few farkles - plenty more left...

Those aren't knobbies, those are street tires. But you'll find that out soon enough... :grin:

Posed next to my RT tires they sure look like knobbies, but I guess technically you are correct, the Dunlop K750s are not knobbies.

You win.

Very cool. When do the test rides begin? :grin:. We need to make sure it is safe for you to ride!! Have a blast on your new scoot.

Too late. I chased Jim Bud over "the hill" Sunday morning.

My first reaction? Boy, the RT sure has some nice wind protection!

I was a little uncomfortable on it on the way to our breakfast stop in Lake Elsinore. I was much better on the way back.

Congrats! You know, our own "eaglemike" here on the DB and living in San Diego is the KLR guru, right? You ought to come down and see him crank out a few doohickey's in his shop. All that computer controlled metal working machinery will give you BIG WOOD . . . and he can give you a head's up on getting that pre-owned bike ready for the road. Not to mention Mike and his SO are absolutely wonderful folks.

Enjoy and don't break anything too soon! :grin:

Thanks, Jamie. Yes, I've got my eye out for the next tech session. It's got 5,151 miles; hasn't even had it's first service. I'll try not to freak out about shim adjust valves. This is me trying.

Holy Smoky! (pun is intended). My KLR is an '06, my C5 a '00 - same colors on both. Only difference is the RT. Nice Z06 wheels, BTW

Screw the wheels, WHAT A GARAGE!

:grin:

Archived