IGNORED

Choice of motor oil

SK_in_AB

I know I have read a thread on here debating oil choice but cant find it. confused.gif My April purchased '02 is now down a 1/2 quart and ready to top up. Can anyone point me to the old thread or comment on which synthetic is the best to use. I remember Ed and others talking about some available at Costco or Wallyworld.

I know I have read a thread on here debating oil choice but cant find it.

I'm pretty sure I've read one, too.

Greg

Les is more

Alrighty then. Here we go slip sliding away into the question of oil. Reading this should be more fun than a Fluffo Party!

Here's one of the great oil debates and here's

another.

Have fun and don't forget your sense of humor when Ed chimes in. grin.gif

THanks for the thread link. OFf to WalMart to compare Castrol with Mobil 1 - probably stay with the synthetic since it is only an extra $20 per year!

S.

Well, that was too easy! We gonna let him get away with that? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif
Don't worry, we still have to discuss how often to change it...

Hi guys

I recently purchased r1100rt-p that I imported from Long Beach BMW in California (an ex-chp bike). I asked the dealer what oils had been put in the bike and was told that (of course) the engine has BMW syn 20w/50.

I rang my local BMW dealer here in Auckland (New Zealand) and was told that they don't have BMW branded oils at all. That is a North America phenomenon only. The parts guy said that the service department uses Castrol Activ4T (mineral) or Castrol GPS (semi-syn) only. So this business of dealers in NA saying other oils will void warranties MUST be nonsense.

If I want a bottle for top ups (until I do my first oil change) then the only fully syn he could offer was... Golden Spectro! and down here THAT stuff is ridiculously expensive! Needless to say I'll go for either the 4T or GPS.

Cheers

Tracy

I've been to Texas, but never Abiline - so where did you get that picture of me? grin.gif. It was not one of my better hair days.

S.

I rang my local BMW dealer here in Auckland (New Zealand) and was told that they don't have BMW branded oils at all. That is a North America phenomenon only. The parts guy said that the service department uses Castrol Activ4T (mineral) or Castrol GPS (semi-syn) only. So this business of dealers in NA saying other oils will void warranties MUST be nonsense.

In response to my question on what was a "Special Oil" as mentioned in the Service and Technical Booklet for my 2000 R1100RT, BMW NA responded "All BMW motorcycles imported by the USA come from the factory with petroleum based Castrol oil (20W50) in the crankcases. BMW Motorrad USA recommends any motorcycle-dedicated oil (synthetic or petroleum base) throughout the life of the engine, with Castrol being the preferred brand."

So, there you have it. BMW NA recommends Castrol over their own branded oil.

Spectro makes BMW Branded oils. In the US the magnason Moss Act (Sp?) states as long as you do the scheduled maintenance ( even if you personaly do it and keep receipts) and use industry recognized parts ie Oil the manufacturer must recognize the warranty. The threat by dealers is to get you to use their shop instead of a cheaper competitor or doing it yourself.

I'm pretty sure I've read one, too.

Greg

I starting laughing out loud when I saw this response and nearly fell off my chair. I think there is an entire web site devoted to this subject. thumbsup.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was too easy! We gonna let him get away with that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry, we still have to discuss how often to change it...

Or how to go about checking the level grin.gif

Archived