IGNORED

Throttle meister sticking when warm

waylap

Hello folks. This is a minor glitch but I kinda want to fix it. The throttle meister on my 04RT tends to actually act like it's engaged when it's very hot out and the rubber grips are warm ( and probably expanded ) and also when the heated grips are on. Is there a way to adjust this? The throttle meister was already installed on every BMW I've owned so I havn't had the benefit of installing them and knowing more about their inner workings.

Q: Will the Throttlemeister work with factory heated grips?

A: The Throttlemeister will work for almost all bikes with "factory" heated grips. We do not recommend that it be installed with Hot Grips. With heated grips, the initial adjustments are more critical. We suggest that when you are installing the Throttlemeister you do so with the grips fully "hot" so you don't get any binding

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/throttlemeister.html

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=200331

Just ran out to the garage and doublechecked. Mine is a 2000, so yours may be somewhat different.

You make the adjustment by moving the grip, NOT the Throttlemeister. That screw on the end of the 'meister should stay just like it is.

Underneath the right turn indicator button there should be a phillips screw. Unscrew it, take it out, and the kill switch will come off, dangling by a wire. Under the plate that the kill switch sits on, you'll see an allen screw (4mm I think). When you loosen this screw, you can move the grip/brake assembly. With the grips hot, adjust the grip so the Throttlemeister engages and disengages when you want it to. When the 'meister is Off, there should be about a credit card's width between it and the grip. Tighten the allen screw, replace the kill switch, and you're done.

You may find that, once adjusted this way, the Throttlemeister won't hold when the grips are cold. You just have to mess with it a little.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

You'll want to set your throttlemeister when your grips are hot.

Remove the unit and see how it operates, it should be obvious. Ensure that the unit is screwed completely in the "on" position, ie fully clockwise.

After heating your grips to max temp, you'll insert the unit and then tighten the throttlemeister bar end unit so it makes full contact with the rubber grip end and your throttle remains engaged in the open position...above idle. If not enough contact, you'll have to engage further so your throttle does not "creep" back. I do the final adjustment when the engine is running so you account for vibration. Watch the tach so that the idle remains stable. When you get it where you like it , tighten it completely.

Just that simple.

You'll need a hex allen wrench for the work.

Good luck.

MB>

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Take it apart and you'll see how to adjust it.

Don't do that. You'll be barking up the wrong tree.

The adjustment is to move the grip assembly.

Take it apart and you'll see how to adjust it.

Don't do that. You'll be barking up the wrong tree.

The adjustment is to move the grip assembly.

You have to take it apart somewhat to see what to move don't you ?

Can't you just unbolt it and put a extra thin washer under it, than bolt it back? I think when new they come with a set of washers to do just that.

Just ran out to the garage and doublechecked. Mine is a 2000, so yours may be somewhat different.

You make the adjustment by moving the grip, NOT the Throttlemeister. That screw on the end of the 'meister should stay just like it is.

Underneath the right turn indicator button there should be a phillips screw. Unscrew it, take it out, and the kill switch will come off, dangling by a wire. Under the plate that the kill switch sits on, you'll see an allen screw (4mm I think). When you loosen this screw, you can move the grip/brake assembly. With the grips hot, adjust the grip so the Throttlemeister engages and disengages when you want it to. When the 'meister is Off, there should be about a credit card's width between it and the grip. Tighten the allen screw, replace the kill switch, and you're done.

You may find that, once adjusted this way, the Throttlemeister won't hold when the grips are cold. You just have to mess with it a little.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

This might sound like some big job, but it takes all of 5 minutes tops to do, and if you read the Throttlemiester instructions, this is what they recommend. Trying to adjust it and shim it at the throttlemiester is just a waste of time. Just remember that you will probably be re-adjusting when the weather turns, but once you've done it the right way, you won't mind the extra couple of minutes it takes.

Can't you just unbolt it and put a extra thin washer under it, than bolt it back? I think when new they come with a set of washers to do just that.

You can use shim washers but the exact right adjustment can be tricky to achieve and it may be difficult using shims. Moving the grip is easy and provides an infinitely variable adjustment.

But ultimately this was my answer to it all. ;-)

You need to remove the front of the left and right switch assemblies. Under them is an allen screw which loosens the grip. After loosening the grip, slide it in or out until the throttlemeister (turned half on) touches the grip with the grips warm. Then tighten the allen screw. Takes about 20 minutes per side.

Leftgrip-1.jpg

Left grip. Remove screws 8 & 9 to remove switch. (two each) The allen screw is #11.

Rightgrip-1.jpg

The right grip. Remove screws at 6 and 4. (two each) The allen screw is #8

All I can say is...Wow.... :eek:

Don't remember having all that much difficulty.

And I even adapted mine from a K12RS..

Lets not steer the poor man the wrong way.

MB>

skinny_tom (aka boney)

The official instructions state that the installer should heat the grips to their hottest, slide the grip assy. away from the installed meister, turn the meister until "a credit card" sized amount of the brass sleeve is visible, then slide the grip assy. against the meister and tighten the assy. It should then work under all conditions, obviously needing a bit more turn when the grips are cold then when they're warm.

Dissasembling the meister or even removing it from the bars goes against every bit of literature that came with the set of meisters I bought for my 03.

+1. Just get the adjustment instructions from Throttlemeister. I think you'll find that the adjustment is simple and doesn't require any new shims, if the thing ever worked.

This adjustment is really simple. No need for shims or to remove all that crap. There are 3 screws you remove and gently pull back the right turn signal module. Truly a piece of cake. Takes 45 seconds at most to get the parts loose, and another 2 minutes to adjust. There is an allen on the bar surrounding a clamp. Turn the Throttlemeister approximately 1/2 of it's full length. Move the clamp that you slightly loosened the allen on towards the TM. Snug the allen. Turn the TM to full engage (counter clockwise). Make sure it holds. Turn it to full dis-engage and make sure it disengages quite a bit before your reach the end. If that works well tighten the allen, put the rest back together. If not adjust the clamp until you get exactly like you want it. The heated grips do swell a lot, expecially on high so as described above, it is better for the TM ( when not heated) to engage late vs.s early).

This will allow plenty of room for the heated grips.

I have put several on now and it is dirt simple. If this doesn't make sense, pm me, we can get on the phone together while you do it and I will coach you through.

The answer to why one would adjust the left grip is quite simple, BECAUSE WE"RE BEEMEROPHILES. Don't forget the obligatory run to the nearest Radio Shack for something (most likely a relay or light pulsating gizmo).

This adjustment is really simple. No need for shims or to remove all that crap. There are 3 screws you remove and gently pull back the right turn signal module. Truly a piece of cake. Takes 45 seconds at most to get the parts loose, and another 2 minutes to adjust. There is an allen on the bar surrounding a clamp. Turn the Throttlemeister approximately 1/2 of it's full length. Move the clamp that you slightly loosened the allen on towards the TM. Snug the allen. Turn the TM to full engage (counter clockwise). Make sure it holds. Turn it to full dis-engage and make sure it disengages quite a bit before your reach the end. If that works well tighten the allen, put the rest back together. If not adjust the clamp until you get exactly like you want it. The heated grips do swell a lot, expecially on high so as described above, it is better for the TM ( when not heated) to engage late vs.s early).

This will allow plenty of room for the heated grips.

I have put several on now and it is dirt simple. If this doesn't make sense, pm me, we can get on the phone together while you do it and I will coach you through.

This is exactly how I adjusted mine.

Archived