IGNORED

1150RT vs 1150RTP purchase

dharnie

I am considering on buying the police 1150RT. I found one with lows miles at below or at ave price.

Was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it would be to remove the radio box and put in a passenger seat? I would be riding it solo for about 95% of the time - but ocassionally would want the little lady in my life to ride with me.

Or is it too much trouble? Whatcha thinks?

Add +/- 1500 dollars to your purchase of a RTP.

If you can locate all the components on the secondary market knock off approximately 1/3 from above total.

RTP'S are solo bikes. Always factor that into a purchase of one.

+1 on Tony's comments. Personally I would not buy a police bike unless they were going to practically give it to me. Most of them have a lot of miles and have been thrashed and put away wet. My advice would be to find a good used '04 1150 RT. It is already setup for two up riding and chances are it will have not been ridden to death. NADA average retail is $8.8K. I have seen 04 RT's for sale in the $8K-9K range.

P.S. Welcome to the board and good luck with your search.

The argument makes sense on the surface. But also consider the RT-P is probably $1500 cheaper than a comparable RT in the used retail market. The RT-P's don't hold their value due to the solo seat disadvantage and the stigma of abuse by a ticket hungry officer.

That $1500 initial savings can be used towards the conversion of a passenger seat.

Why did I buy a RT-P? It's had maintenance by the book, the riders are professionals and it was real cheap to buy.

My 2001 1100RTP is in great shape and had 60,000 miles which is the average turnover point for most police bikes. So far I have put on lots of miles and only some rear brake pads. The bike has two minor scratches and most cops treat them with pride and keep them in good shape. If I was riding a bike daily for work like that I would take care of it too since my life depends on it.

I bought mine for $4,400 which is probably $1,500 cheaper than a comparable RT. Though prices are dropping right now and maybe you can find a deal. I would do it again.

I also want a back seat and from what I have learned the price is closer to $1,000 or a little less. There are a lot of parts involved. Here is a list:

http://www.bmwmc.net/uploads/tm7/DualSeatPts.pdf

and here is a write up on the procedure:

http://web.mac.com/djstephens/iWeb/Site/Seat%20Conversion.html

I would do it again. I love my bike and like the colors and added visibility.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

consider if the '5%' is a reality.

i worked hard and hit my goal of 10000 km (6000mi) this year.

5% of that is only 500 km / 300 miles. one or two days out (my riding is mostly recreational - use pedal bike to to work on nice days. on weekend the dogs and the things we buy means we need the cage)

take the 1500$. put in bank. buy wife 2 100$ spa treatments per year for next 7 years... she will like this more.

you get the cool RTP - save the money - and everyone is happy. so to answer your question i would say 'too much trouble'.

i walked away myself this spring from great deal on a brand new honda st1300 police model - but when the math is done and the bike is converted to 2 up the deal aint such a deal.

if you really mean "10%" then buy the RT - life will be simpler.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

sorry. I am for the RTP but opposed to conversion.

my post all about deciding if you really need two up riding or not.

A) if you dont need 2 up riding -(if you are going to be by yourself) - get the RTP.

B) if you do need 2 up riding don't get the RTP.

my point is 5% is pretty close to zero. one should not purchase for the 5% but rather for the 95%.

if the number is really only 5% - thats like one ride a year - why bother getting 2 seater? assuming that for this one ride the wife will also need: boots, helmet, gloves, jacket....

The argument makes sense on the surface. But also consider the RT-P is probably $1500 cheaper than a comparable RT in the used retail market. The RT-P's don't hold their value due to the solo seat disadvantage and the stigma of abuse by a ticket hungry officer.

That $1500 initial savings can be used towards the conversion of a passenger seat.

Why did I buy a RT-P? It's had maintenance by the book, the riders are professionals and it was real cheap to buy.

Yep same here. Had most maintenance records and that was enough. But that FD repair before I got it wasn't quite by the book :eek::cry: I also had a girlfriend at the time and a solo seat was very appealing (that and I plan to add a Yaseu ham radio to it). RTP is good for stuff like that :clap:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the semi-linked braking system of the RTP. You get both front and rear brakes with the hand lever but only the rear brake with the foot lever. The 6 speed transmission is also geared lower than the RT.

I still like the RTP due to price and visibility. :thumbsup:

Archived