IGNORED

BMW Warantee is asking me if I fill my Oil Filter

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Do you fill your filter with Oil before screwing it back on?  

687 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting question. What has warranty to do with filling or not the oil filter? It is not a service requierement. On most cars and some BMW bikes the filter mounts sideways so it can't be filled. I do fill the filter on my R1200GS, simply because it makes sense. The important thing is to put some oil on the filter's rubber gasket before you install the new filter. Also important is that at first start after changing oil/filter just crank the starter and if it starts let it idle until the pressure builds up.

Yeah, I'd also like to know more about the 'warranty' aspect of your question. It's standard practice (or at least a good idea) to fill the filter before installation if you can, but not that big a deal and I'd be surprised if anyone made it a warranty requirement. What are the details?

I read in a car maintenance manual the filling the oil filter was actually bad. I think because air does not move through oil soaked filter material as well as dry and that can cause aerated oil which does not lubricate so well.

Cranking without spark is good to get everyting moving a coat of oil. But I always change my oil warm, ie it was just running. I also don't let it drain for hours. Therefore there should be sufficent film of oil and wear additives coating moving parts for startup. I am more concerned about starting my bike or car after it has sat for a few days than I am after changing oil.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

It all started about 6 months ago when I heard a strange ticking noise when I first started.. Since then I've ridden about 5,000 miles. Recently I notice a loud knocking when I first started and as before, within about 30 seconds the knocking stopped and the bike ran fine. I have 33,000 miles and 3 years 10 months on the bike so I took it in for Warantee repair. The BMW shop pulled off the cylinders and said "One Piston looks like it siezed"--that's all I know, and I don't really know how to interpret that. The shop is now working with BMW technical, and technical had a few questions. (1) Send us the records of the Service that was done--I did it all myself and I recorded everything including tire changes, HID upgrade--everything. Then they asked, "do you fill the oil filter before you installed it", and have you ever run the engine without oil. I told them NO on both counts. ( I would think the Electronic Low Oil Sensor record in the computer would tell them if the bike was ever run without oil--but I don't know this for sure. The computer monitors and records so much stuff.)

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

As an added thought, I wonder if the cylinder walls are lubricated by the Oil pump, or just by Oil Splash from the Crankshaft and rods. If by splash, then Oil pressure would not be an issue and whether the filter was filled would not be an issue. Comments?

Cylinder walls are usually lubed by oil splash, and sometimes assisted by splash from oil jets that spray the underside of the piston (primarily intended for cooling.) Not sure if those exist on the oilheads though.

An empty oil filter will delay the oil pressure coming up for a few seconds after an oil/filter change but I've never heard of this actually causing any damage. If there is any piston scuffing/seizure I'd be very surprised if that was the cause. More likely oil starvation for some other reason, or even poor fitting during assembly.

I just checked the maintenance CD for the 12RT and it does not list filling the oil filter with oil prior to installing as a step in changing the oil. The manual only lists lubricating the o-ring on

Before you answer them, I would call a different dealer, tell them you are about to make your first oil change, and ask them if you should fill the filter.......then I would answer the mail.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

My dealer researched it in their BMW maintenance standards and told me that there is no instruction to fill the filter. The only instruction is to put some oil on the gasket, which I always do, then install the filter. Jim VanBadens DVD also says "it's not required to fill the filter, but he always does it anyway". It's probably a good procedure, but the key is "it's not a required step."

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

My final key question is, why after 33,000 miles and meticulous on-schedule maintenance, using AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, would a problem like this start to occur at about 30,000 miles and be severe 3,000 miles later? I find it hard to understand why an assembly problem would have taken so long to rear its ugly head.

Piston assembly, ring fitment, head alignment...all these things are crucial for a rotating mass. Balance is crucial. So is oiling... One of these items out of whack and you'll have a motor that won't live as long as it should.

Did they check sump, pump, and crankcase?

Let them complete the diagnosis. I'd think they have a bit further to go before the cause appears....

I'd be concerned as to an oil starvation issue. Just my guess.

You have done no wrong. Sh*t happens.

Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

MB>

Never on my RT, but I have to fill some of the filters on the fire truck motors. It can be a real treat to try to get the filter on when it is holding almost 3 quarts of oil!

I don't fill mine, and my RT has a few moments of clatter at start up until the oil pumps up on the high side when coming off the side stand. Nothing to worry about IMHO at least on my bike. Hell you shoulda heard my old panhead at start up, and it ran for over 50k on the last rebuild.

It looks like BMW is trying to find a way out of a warranty repair on their nickel. I mean why else would the ask a question like that?? Good that you have all the records of your work. That is a very important issue. Consumers are protected like that, but need to keep receipts of all items purchased that are needed for maintenance..

Keep us posted and good luck!!

Maybe they are just trying to get a handle of these type of failures. If not filling the filter makes a difference, they will need to change their manuals to reflect that.

Archived