IGNORED

Dunlop Roadsmart update

KingBiscuit

Hi All,

A couple of months back there were a couple of threads on Dunlop Roadsmart tires. Specifically, I mentioned that the center of the tire did not appear to be wearing as quickly as the outside edges. This causes a "high" spot around the center of the tire.

Well, I just had my bike in for the 18K service. The tires have just under 4K miles on them. The mechanic recomended that both tires be replaced! I had a talk with him about it. He said that he is very picky, and pointed out the "high" spot in the center of the tires. He also said that he could feel cupping on the front tire though I could not see it and can't seem to feel it.

I do give it to him, the high spot in the center of the tire is a bit more pronounced, but there is still pleny of tread depth on the tire.

Bottom line, I probably won't replace the tires until the look and feel bad to me.

How are Roadsmarts holding up on other peoples bikes? Has anyone heard of Dunlop addressing this problem?

Thanks,

Dan

Mine have now done just over 4,000 miles and still doing very well, with no problems at all so far. Wear is very good with no sign of the problem you describe.

Your mechanic is either independently wealthy or gets a commission on the tires he pushes on his customers.

I just changed out a rear Roadsmart that had 12,100 miles on it and it was below the wear bars in the center. Of course this is FL and we have 11 curves for every 318 miles. You must live in SE OH where the roads are fantastic.

I just put on my 2nd Roadsmart at the rear after about 14K miles. The replaced rear showed even wear with only minor squaring off in the center. I commute about 120 miles/day and this was an enormous improvement over the Metzeler Z6. I didn't have the same luck with the Roadsmart front, cupping was terrible so I put on a Pilot Road up front instead.

Grinning all the way, about 30 minutes, from SE Ohio and all it's great roads. I don't think I'll pull the roadsmarts just yet, but there is a noticeable "ring" around the middle, especially in the front. My best riding buddy has same problem with roadsmarts on his ST 1300. Not quite so pronounced, but total weight, bike and rider is much less. Don't know if this helps him, but TP for his bike is 42F 42R.

Dan

Archived