IGNORED

Auto Industry M&A instead of bailout or bankruptcy

R80RTKen

The Companies: Ford. GM(Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, Saturn), Chrysler(Dodge)

These are brand names with high value (like Marlboro and Budweiser and Kleenex etc.)

These are lines of products with a few winners and a lot of losers in a saturated market.

It would make sense to me that the brands should get sold to other US Based Car makers.

Get rid of all 3 of the big 3 "corporations", while continuing their brands and good-products lives under the management of companies that haven't been failing for decades already.

These 3 companies have been in the news in a negative way my entire life. (I'm 35).

Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai etc came here against strong headwinds, planted roots,and have been successful. Whatever it is thats kept the Big 3 in biz eludes me..

I can only imagine that like Benelli to China, MV Agusta to Harley, Ducati to a bunch of investors.. someone wants to own the Chevy brand and give it a new lease on life..

Anyone want to pitch in and make an offer :-)

-Ken

-----

Note: [i don't want to commingle this thought with the "Should they get bailed out thread" so I created this one. The other thread has a lot going on. This is the "Why should any of them live on" thread, not the should they get a bailout thread.]

Ken, I would argue that the foreign companies had to fight their way into this market, and it is that struggle which has made them more competitive. They're leaner, meaner and hungrier.

Ken, I would argue that the foreign companies had to fight their way into this market, and it is that struggle which has made them more competitive. They're leaner, meaner and hungrier.

True. They got their foot in the door despite steep tariffs of around 25% on cars and 50% on trucks. Which is why they never focused on trucks. The Detroit lobbyists suceeded there at least. Althouhg the labor costs in Japan in the 70's and 80's I believe were much cheaper than their American counterparts.

Yes.. and if the foreign companies can be successful by fighting hard.. why cant the "Domestic" industry make it without subsidies, protectionist tariffs and bailouts.

If fighting hard and winning is possible for Hyundai and Honda, then darn it Ford and GM needed to start fighting 15 years ago.

I don't think Ford,G.M., or Chrysler have anything anybody wants. Their business model is what others want to avoid..So let's give em enough free money so they can continue with business as usual for a another year.. :dopeslap:

Several Companies including Renault have expressed an interest in Jeep.

I believe Jeeps are pretty popular in Europe. I suspect Renault would primarily want the trade name and design concepts and build the vehicles on existing Renault/Nissan platforms or use their parts bins. Which would be a step up for Jeep. It however, probably wouldn't help any Americans that work for Jeep or Chrysler since those existing plants would most likely be liquidated.

Archived