IGNORED

Vintage Guitar Appraisal

Rinkydink

After too much procrastination, I have decided to go ahead and insure my babies. I have found Gruhn appraisals via search engine. Does anyone have any experience on getting appraisals for the insurance company?

I've found guitar appraisals to be all over the map, and rarely reflecting the marketplace. More than a few were low (some very low), I think hoping that I was going to sell the guitar and maybe they could purchase it at a discount.

Photos and comps help a lot. I sold 90% of my music equipment this past year, but until then I was a classifieds junkie, so it was very easy to find comps except on those few very rare guitars/basses. I also had numerous digital photos of all my equipment in case of loss/damage. Take pics that show the serial numbers as well. I take at least one photo that includes a current newspaper so that the date is verified. (I'm sure there's a way to date stamp a digital photo, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to manipulate.)

Best bet would be to call your insurance company and see what they would require in the case of theft/loss. I'm guessing that the photos plus good supporting comp documentation would be enough.

I find ....if you have a Gibson or old Epiphone.... Gruhn is your best source...

They apprasied my old 1946 Epiphone Blackstone for me....

Precision Bass and Goldtop Les Paul. I contacted Gruhn today and they seem to be the spot on favorite. Thanks guys.

I got my appraisals from Gruhn back and wow, I should've insured these babies long ago!!! The goldtop is worth $$$ but the '63 precision shocked me.

What's really funny about instruments is the "worth" and the actuality of things. My friend, Jerry has a room full of top end guitars tuned for slack key and both he and another friend with a pricey Martin swear my Ibanez sounds better than most of theirs. Whether you play well enough to have expensive stuff or luck out and get the Student Prince is just Karma.

If Student Prince confuses you, refer to Leo Kotke..... :wave:

What's really funny about instruments is the "worth" and the actuality of things. My friend, Jerry has a room full of top end guitars tuned for slack key and both he and another friend with a pricey Martin swear my Ibanez sounds better than most of theirs. Whether you play well enough to have expensive stuff or luck out and get the Student Prince is just Karma.

If Student Prince confuses you, refer to Leo Kotke..... :wave:

No surprise the Ibanez sounds better. They are the 'Honda' of the guitar lines, while a Gibson/Fender is the 'Harley Davidson' if you catch my drift :/

I agree, my working bass is a handmade unit built by a local luthier the late Tim Quetermous. The guy was an amazing craftsman as he made every piece by hand except of course, the electronics, tuning keys and bridge. It is priceless in my mind especially since I just attended his funeral last Friday morning.

Archived