IGNORED

Starting Problems

Tom P

Haven't started my '98 RT in about 2 weeks (was away for about a week and family stuff on weekends). Decided to start it up for an evening ride last night and it wouldn't start. Thought it was probably the battery so I plugged in the trickle charger and sure enough the red light came on indicating it was taking a charge. Decided on a 6:00AM ride this morning, checked the charger and the green light was on indicating it was fully charged and it started right up.

After a 45 mile run I stopped for gas. Went to start the bike back up and it wouldn't start. Every time I tried it almost turned over before I heard the click click sound. Also noticed every time I tried the clock would reset to 00:00.

Nice guy stopped by and asked if I wanted a push start. Tried it twice and wouldn't start. On the third try, after another no start he says "try the starter button now". Pushed the button and "yes", it starts right up.

After many thanks, rode the remaining 2 miles home, pull it into the garage and turned it off. Tried starting it again and it starts.

I'm baffled...anyone have any ideas. I'm leery about taking it out again until I correct the problem. Battery? Alternator? Something else?

Thanks

An easy way to check for a bad connection is to feel the connection after trying to start the bike. Sometimes the connection will be hot or warm to the touch. Another way is to put a voltmeter with one lead on one side of the connection and the other lead on the other side of the connection. If you read a high voltage when trying to start the bike that connection is bad.

Archived