IGNORED

Building a monometer

ltljohn

So I want to build a monometer to sync my TBs. My question is what do you use for the fluid. I have seen some with ATF what other fluids are useable.

oh one more question if I use ATF do I use dino or synthetic, Dexeron II or III or do I use Mercon? :grin:

So I want to build a monometer to sync my TBs. My question is what do you use for the fluid. I have seen some with ATF what other fluids are useable.

oh one more question if I use ATF do I use dino or synthetic, Dexeron II or III or do I use Mercon? :grin:

John, darn near any fluid will work.. Oil & trans fluid is lighter than water so moves farther in relation to a vacuum variation but it is also thicker viscosity so has much more cling to the sides of the tubing used.. On the other hand water is a thin bodied fluid so has less surface cling & is very active in small diameter tubing..

My personal favorite for precision & staying active without clinging to the sides of the tubing is plain old water with a little antifreeze added to give color as well as protecting against freezing..

Twisty

I would definitely stay with something you wouldn't mind in your engine. I strongly recommend avoiding mercury, it would be the worst in just about every way: Cost, toxicity, sensitivity, potential for engine damage.

The ones I've seen with ATF were a bit jumpy, but usable.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

tubing: 1/4

fluid: Jaegermeister schnapps. (es eine bmw after all)

-------------------------

tubing: what i used and was actually the only thing i could find to buy in a long enough piece (25'): 1/4" tubing - good snug fit.

i just measure it and this actually is the OD. the walls are 0.045.

fluid: i used trans fluid because i like the red color and was just going to end up recycled.

due to surface tension the ATF does NOT bounce. i think water would bounce more.

the problem acutally was filling the tube - the ATF flowed slow and took a while for the bubbles to dissipate. i got the right amount from the get-go but if you get it wrong could take an hour to fix it! really slow to move in the tube. doing it again i would likely try water w. colorant -coolant, food color, etc- first - mostly to speed up build time - and 'cause twisty sez so! (twisty knows all)

If you get too much jumpiness with whatever arrangement you try, put a restriction (smaller orifice)in the line.

Penforhire, a cigarette filter (or piece of one anyhow) make a very good dampening media in the vacuum lines if needed..

Twisty

I think I used 3/16".........See post above with pic.......The stuff is cheap so get a long section to make it easier to use and hold straight up..........

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

smoky - must be a candian thing - in addition to having atf in common i also used a jar top to control bend raduis! :thumbsup:

my manometer is longer however :grin:

also i used a sharpie to make lines every 25.4mm for ease of use. also what is up with using black and clear tube? :eek: one long piece of clear tube in all you need.

to ltljohn; i used a big plastic syringe (sans needle) to get fluid into tube. you also could use lung power and suck the other way.

also what is up with using black and clear [/color]tube? :eek: one long piece of clear tube in all you need.

to ltljohn; i used a big plastic syringe (sans needle) to get fluid into tube. you also could use lung power and suck the other way.

If you're referring to the pic of my manometer earlier in this thread, the hose is all clear, the black is the fluid inside........Dark color for easy visibility........

Also a correction: The fluid is hydralic JACK fluid, not brake fluid.....

Cameron,

I have clear tube where the fluid is, and then a restrictor, then black rubber tubing to fit the throttle bodies.

The restrictor minimizes the fluctuations.

I'm going to add a BMW sticker to my jar top, to improve accuracy!!

One note of caution if you decide to use two different tubing sizes. The universal vacuum adaptors found at auto parts stores are not always air tight. 3 out of 4 that I tried had small leaks in them. It makes it impossible to get good results with even the smallest of leaks.

Using two different sizes of tubing will help dampen the fluxuations. I have slightly larger tubing to hold the fluid, and then smaller tubing to fit the TB's.

Archived