IGNORED

Brighter Brake Light Bulb

Perlova

Does anyone know of a brighter bulb that will fit the brake light socket? I have an after market flasher but the OEM bulb does not command much attention. is there a halogen bulb that will fit the socket?

R11RT by the way.......

You don't want to switch to a halogen bulb. I tried one and it took noticeably longer for the bulb to fire up to full brightness. You could see the light ramp up. That's what you don't want in a brake light - to slow down the reaction time of the driver behind you.

An LED-based replacement bulb would be better - the "on" time for LEDs is much faster than for incandescent bulbs. LEDs are much more directional than incandescent but that's not as much of a problem with the brake light. There are lots of LED replacement bulbs in 1156 format available (1156 is the bulb you're replacing).

I added a license plate frame with LEDs down both sides. It adds much needed tailights as well as great brake lights.

I can try to find the model if anyone is interested.

Click here for the best brake light

I've had one for several years and it's worth every penny. Extremely bright and attention getting even in the bright Florida sun.

I've seen these in use and they are awesome but $135? Ouchhhhh....

I paid a lot less than that. Check Bobs, Mortons and Hammersely now Crossroads. I got one of mine form Ham and the other from either Bobs or Mortons.

I Highly recomend the BRAKE! LED

The Brake! is now being made and sold by

Road Rocketeer

I've had the Brake! light on my R for 3 years. It is very bright and an attention-getter. I didn't pay $135 for it, though.

and their price is $135. Ouch.

Road Rocketeer

I've had the Brake! light on my R for 3 years. It is very bright and an attention-getter. I didn't pay $135 for it, though.

Ouch is right.... It really amazes me that you can go out and buy an upconverting DVD player for $39.99 at Walmart but a circuit board with 3 LED's on it is $135.00

....or a set of struts for a BMW bike are $1200.00.

A big +1 for the Hyperlites, but to your original question Perlova, You say you have an "aftermarket flasher". Not sure what you mean by this but if it is a Kisan tailblazer, you may have the 10 watt bulb they used to supply with the early units. There is a 20 watt bulb available.

I have both and the hypers are vastly superior - no one is going to not see those babies !

Maybe "no one" was a stretch! There is an amazing number of inattentive drivers out there. I sat an an intersection a while back and took stock of how many had a cell stuck in an ear. Suffice to say it was a revelation to me.

I guess all we can do is make ourselves as visible and obvious as we can.

People give me flack all the time about my Kisan front and rears, my PIAA's and my Hyperlites, my response being "you saw me didn't you!"

Personally, I have all my lites on all the time, high beam all the time (unless directly behind another vehicle), my brake lights displayed for as long as possible before a turn, and i find myself checking the guy behind me as much as my forward intention. I also have the new hyperlite turn signal below my mirrors - these are fantastic!

Perhaps we should start a thread entitled "what do you do to ensure your safety?"

A big +1 for the Hyperlites, but to your original question Perlova, You say you have an "aftermarket flasher". Not sure what you mean by this but if it is a Kisan tailblazer, you may have the 10 watt bulb they used to supply with the early units. There is a 20 watt bulb available.

I have both and the hypers are vastly superior - no one is going to not see those babies !

I have an inline module with the stock bulb. It's not a Kisan.

I could not find a 20 watt bulb so I made my own from a halogen bulb and a burnt out 1156 bulb. Ugly but works and lights up as quickly as an incandescent filament.

HalBMWBulb.jpg

Personally, I have all my lites on all the time, high beam all the time (unless directly behind another vehicle), my brake lights displayed for as long as possible before a turn, and i find myself checking the guy behind me as much as my forward intention. I also have the new hyperlite turn signal below my mirrors - these are fantastic!

I also have my PIAA lights on as well as my high beam during the day, but I run the low beam at night unless I'm on a back road with no traffic. There are some on here that will feel your being rude for running your lights on high, but not me.

Road Rocketeer

Ouch is right.... It really amazes me that you can go out and buy an upconverting DVD player for $39.99 at Walmart but a circuit board with 3 LED's on it is $135.00

....or a set of struts for a BMW bike are $1200.00.

Economy of scale. If the Brake modules were made in the quantities of the $39 DVD player they would probably be $39. Also that DVD player is maded in China or some other second world country. The Brake, last I checked, was made in the USA.

Economy of scale.

Well that's one element but I think the even bigger economic principle at work here is 'what the market is willing to bear.' It is a BMW accessory after all. :grin:

...The Brake, last I checked, was made in the USA.

The last I heard of they were made in North America but not USA.

From their web site...

Road Rocketeer Products Inc.

10-3318 Oak Street

Victoria, BC V8X 1R1 Canada

Just to respond, and not meaning to hijack this thread - both my wife and I used to run our bikes on high beams during daylight as well but realized that (apart from being illegal) oncoming traffic could not see our signal lights for the brightness of our headlights. I'll leave it up to the readers as to whether or not this presents a hazardous situation for the bike rider. Thanks for the leads on brighter tail lights. A spring project for sure.

. A spring project for sure.

Spring? Have you put the bike away already? I'm sure that Indian Summer will still come to Haliburton.

A fellow Canadian

Archived