IGNORED

Twin Max carb sync tool

waylap

Go on ukgser and look up morgan carb tune. Far superior and the same or less cost.
+1 on the carb tune,,,Ted Porter BMW has them to,,I have had 3 bike in the last month that were set up with a twin max that were way off,,Set them up with the carb tune,,All 3 people said the bike ran a lot better,,,,,,

Alright, everyone seems to lean to the Morgan carb tune rather than the Twin Max. The Morgan looks complicated and the Twin Max looks moron proof. So keep in mind this wrenching stuff is just now starting to catch on in my cluttered mind. Is the Morgan tool and the procedure easy enough for a dim-wit?

Remember the days when you could sync the dual carbs on your Triumph or MG by sticking a rubber hose in each ear and listening to the hiss? I take it that these new engines are too sensitive for that method?

Remember the days when you could sync the dual carbs on your Triumph or MG by sticking a rubber hose in each ear and listening to the hiss? I take it that these new engines are too sensitive for that method?

No, not really......its just that they now make mass produced tools for the general anal retentive public that allows them to be that picky. :grin:

This will end up as one of those X is best, no, Y is better as it always does. I like the TM and get good results with it. I made the manometer set up which did not give me good results. If you can borrow a TM and a Carb tune from someone it would be good to try them and see which works best for you. JMO.

Alright, everyone seems to lean to the Morgan carb tune rather than the Twin Max. The Morgan looks complicated and the Twin Max looks moron proof. So keep in mind this wrenching stuff is just now starting to catch on in my cluttered mind. Is the Morgan tool and the procedure easy enough for a dim-wit?

Yes it is! Hook up two hoses to the bike and nothing else. The twin max is not as easy to use.

+1 for my Morgan Carbtune but you do need to treat it gently and keep it clean. Not exactly as robust as the old mercury meters. If you ever take it apart, do NOT mix the parts as they are matched sets. Depending on how much vacuum your engine pulls you might need to flip it upside down (as I had to tuning my /5).

Yes it is! Hook up two hoses to the bike and nothing else. The twin max is not as easy to use.

+ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've gone behind twin max w/the Morgan and the Morgan kicks butt.

Easier to "read" IMO>

You'll find it easy to use.

+ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've gone behind twin max w/the Morgan and the Morgan kicks butt.

Easier to "read" IMO>

You'll find it easy to use.

And for the coup de grace, Motion Pro Synchromate II. No finer synch tool exists....

synchromate.jpg

http://www.synchromate.com/

Nothing wrong with the other tools, just this is better. Unit includes an accurate tach for setting idle speed.

So, there we are with "what I use is far superior to whatshisname's suggestion". And so it goes.........

Tom, it is still just a tool.. Only as good as the person using it..

In reading the SynchroMate literature it’s accuracy is only within about 2-1/2” of water so isn’t even as accurate as a simple homemade U tube manometer..

Twisty

Thank you.

Hence my support of the Morgan tool.

More accurate, no fluids, no batteries or jumping dials, easy to use.

But hey, these bikes don't need accuracy when it comes to maintenance. :/

The OP asked for opinion, which many of have voiced on numerous threads on TB balance tools. The results always seem to be the same, what you use is far superior to what X uses. Comical. I like my TM and get good results as do many others. You get acceptable results in your opinion, which is great. Many of us use TM and like it. That is all I was posting. Chill my brothers!

:wave:

Load....what about Load...??

Small hijack....

I have a TM, and built a manometer. I prefer the manometer, but a lot of TM enthusiasts say '....strap it to the tank and synch under load..'

I used to do that, but found it to be a PITA, and I honestly could not feel any difference. I'm just not 'sensitive' enough, right??

I'm missing all sorts of TBSynch karma, right...?

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

must be nice to be a rich dude.

i love tools and collect them compulsively :dopeslap: <=nice mallet! - but i love 'value' more. my toy budget in tatters (ripped asunder more like :cry: ),i tried the home made manometer. 25' of tube from canadian tire -about 8$. Leftover ATF for a car i no longer own.leftover 42"x1"x2". left over tie-wraps. fun to make and worked really well. no issues with it. tricky to balance the carbs (my first try) but the meter was very obvious and easy to read.

8$ versus 120-140$. hmmmmm .... (not really hmmmm! more like DUH! :D )

the only thing better would be to have a friend with a meter - that would be awesome - but i dont have any friends ... i wonder why? :grin:

If want to use a Morgan, come over to Cocoa one weekend and we can see what we can do, I need to do my valves anyway.

Tech Daze at Randy's place!!!!

When?

On a serious note though...

I have done my bikes on Huzband's twin max and then gone behind it with a manometer and further refined that balance, down from 2+ inches to about 1/2"

It's repeatable, it's simple and it is nearly free it's so cheap. The manometer gets my vote and I built one myself to use. Sounds like we need a giant "tech daze TBS Shootout...."

Morgan vs. TwinMax vs. Utube...

Who's in?

If want to use a Morgan, come over to Cocoa one weekend and we can see what we can do, I need to do my valves anyway.

Tech Daze at Randy's place!!!!

When?

YEAH YEAH !! Road trip to Randy's! I'll bring the Morgan I just ordered.(NOT Captain)--- and the feeler gauges for the valves.

IN!.........I hear Florida is nice this time of year :grin: . It was 24 degrees this morning and I think I'll take every opportunity to get the hell out of dodge!

IN!.........I hear Florida is nice this time of year :grin: . It was 24 degrees this morning and I think I'll take every opportunity to get the hell out of dodge!

Whatever!

It was a record 29 at the airport this morning, & we're staring down another record at a forecasted 28 for tomorrows A.M.

I'm ridin' to work, temp be damned. :grin:

...it is nearly free it's so cheap.

Yeah, when it's not your TwinMax. :/

Whatever!

It was a record 29 at the airport this morning, & we're staring down another record at a forecasted 28 for tomorrows A.M.

I'm ridin' to work, temp be damned. :grin:

29......WOW.......thats about the temp it was this AFTERNOON when I rode home. I won't start wining till we get into the single digits.

6 this evening my ass....

I know you were home before I got home, and I left at 3:15...

Oh, and Danny, from what we discussed the other night it's not my manometer either! :dopeslap:

The OP asked for opinion, which many of have voiced on numerous threads on TB balance tools. The results always seem to be the same, what you use is far superior to what X uses. Comical. I like my TM and get good results as do many others. You get acceptable results in your opinion, which is great. Many of us use TM and like it. That is all I was posting. Chill my brothers!

:wave:

Opinion would be I use "X" and it is good/better/the best.

What I said was that in direct comparison, on the same machine, same time and place, a manometer device (Carbtune in this case) was better at doing the synch.

I am chilling, it has been in the 20's in the morning. :eek:

Best wishes.

I just had this same dilemma, but after much reading, the Morgan Carbtune won over the Twinmax and the bodgy home made unit.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to measurements, so a home made job (whilst it may do the job well) has that stigma of being bodgy, and the Twinmax only does 2 cyls and I have several machines with the RT being the only 2 cylinder model, so Carbtune being more accurate and capable of 4 throttle body synch was the winner.

Did my very first RT synch today after valve adjust, and it was pretty easy, the carbtune worked well for idle and off idle adjustment, getting both cyls to within 1/4" at 3500rpm repeatable everytime.

home-made job vs TM?? ... I have both and -

Home made job is my favorite. I recommend a couple of small zip ties at the ends of the tube ... snug them on to get a better vacuum seal ... they will stay in place when you remove them. They stretch much less that the tubing.

I have come to believe that accurate and LASTING TBS sync is more a matter of technique than tools. I used to ride around for a couple of hours with the TM velcroed to the tank and a 10mm wrench in my pocket and adjust adjust adjust ... a week or so later, the buss was back.

Then I became aware of how much impact a very small twist in the cable housing had over time.

If you get the slighest twist, it will vibrate out over time and throw the sync off. Now I never turn the adjuster barrel or lock nut without holding the cable sheath motionless. After the bike is at temperature, I read the guage, kill the engine, make a very small adjustment including tightening the lock nut, start the bike and recheck ... repeat, repeat, repeat ... just 'sneaking up' on getting the sync right.

That can't work! There's no dials, zero adjust, cool shiny mystery metal, graduated scale marks or ANYTHING! How am I going to impress the chics!

Looks like it'll work. Hate I bought my TM last month now.

So, I just got in from the garage after synching the throttle bodies with the "two bottle" set up.

Here is the low down.

1. No, I did NOT compare to a differential tool...

2. The levels do not jump around like with a simple manometer. (Yes I made one of those also and used it today too).

3. It is easy to do an assessment of how far out of synch the throttle bodies are because the rate of change of level is proportional to the difference in vacuum between throttle bodies.

4. It is very easy to get an exact synch because you can set the BBS’s and wait to see if any level changes occur over any length of time.

5. The levels quickly change with as little as 1/16 turn of a BBS.

6. It was unbelievable how quickly the levels went from rock steady at idle to very fast changes in level at 3500rpm the first time I brought up the RPM.

So, I did the complete synch process and then hooked up the manometer. It was dead spot on. At both idle and at 3500rpm. Impressed me actually.

And NO, I did not go for a ride with glass bottles in my tank bag in the dark looking for level changes at speed… :eek:I just did 3500rpm and held it and adjusted the cables to zero the difference in vacuum. I did however take it for a ride after buttoning up. Runs great!

So, will I continue to use this method instead of asking for a new tool for Christmas? Yes. I’ll spend my money somewhere else. Like new tires? A No-Mar tire bar? A tire balancer that I don’t have to borrow from my buddy? A new helmet? Better camping equipment?

Wow! The list is endless. :wave:

Archived