IGNORED

K1200 Mirror on RT is "loose;" how to fiix?

markgoodrich

I've got K1200 mirrors on my R1200RT. One of them is loose...not at the handlebar, the mirror is loose on the adjustment "ball." I can't figure out how to get inside to what I assume is a way to tighten it down. Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?

Sounds like a simple ball adjustment. :/

Dang, Greg, that's helpful, thanks! Stop by, I've got some great boots, can give you a ball adjustment, free!

Can anyone help?

Sounds like a simple ball adjustment. :/

Dang, Greg, that's helpful, thanks! Stop by, I've got some great boots, can give you a ball adjustment, free!

:eek:To funny ,,,Im still laughing :D:D:D
I've got K1200 mirrors on my R1200RT. One of them is loose...not at the handlebar, the mirror is loose on the adjustment "ball." I can't figure out how to get inside to what I assume is a way to tighten it down. Can anyone help?

Mark, I sure don’t know how to tighten the ball joint up.. My K-1200 mirrors are just the opposite & too tight to adjust easily..

There is no obvious outside way to access the internals of that joint SO, first thing I would try is rotating the mirror head in a tightening direction,, if that shows some promise after a couple of turns then it might be the way.. If no progress after a couple of turns my guess is you have to remove the mirror glass itself to access that joint..

I had a similar problem on a like mirror on my old Honda & never could get it to stay tight so set the mirror using a little super glue then once it would stay where I set it I drilled a small hole through the joint & ball then inserted a small screw to permanently hold it there (been about 4 years now & still staying in place)

Twisty

Come on by Saturday morning. I'll be working on the K Bike. We can have a look and see if we can adjust or repair it.

I'll be wearing a cup. :Cool:

Come on by Saturday morning. I'll be working on the K Bike. We can have a look and see if we can adjust or repair it.

I'll be wearing a cup. :Cool:

Lone Star might replace the mirror under warranty; I'll stop by there Friday, but if now, I'll probably take you up on your offer, Greg. I don't see a way to disassemble it with my sledge and torque crowbar, without scratching it up.

Meanwhile, if anyone else comes up with a fix, please post.

How about a ball-peen hammer?

AL

Sure, Al, I have a big one, come on by and I'll use it on you.

Edit: oops, that didn't quite come out right. Sure, Al, I have a big ball peen hammer, come on by and I'll whack you with it.

No, still not quite right, could be taken the wrong way. Sure, Al, a ball peen hammer will work. On your head.

There, that's better.

Ahhhhh! I fixed the mirror!!!! No hammers, no glues, no drilling, no screws. I used the best possible method, the phone call to the dealer, the learning of the warranty period, the begging to please look the receipt up since I'd lost mine, but knew the date on my credit card charge (thank you, Intuit, for making stuff like that so easy to find), the grumping from the parts guy, the almost instant return call saying he'd found the receipt, and then the trip out there today to smile prettily at everyone, and get a nice shiny new mirror! Who knew parts carry a one year warranty?

Archived