IGNORED

O No Battery Question

TDY

I need a new battery for my 2002r1150rt. I have heard about this battery UB12220 Universal 12 volt 22AH. Here is the site http://www.batteriesasap.com/48.html. Can someone tell me if this would work or not, or if there is any modifications on the terminals. I just hate to pay alot of money on a battery this close to Christmas. What do you think?

I just read the specs - that battery will work in your RT just fine. It may not last as long as an Oddysey, but it looks to me like it will be fewer dollars to the mile than the PC680.

From the pictures it has bolt-on terminals, so you should be good to go.

Andy

On recommendation from someone on the board, earlier this year I purchased and installed the exact battery you reference. It is quite a straigh remove and replace. The holes for the bolts in the terminals need to be enlarged ever so slightly. A metal rat tail file worked very nicely in about 5 minutes. Bolt in ready to go. I do use one of the chargers designed for this type of battery, not your 30 year old trickle charger. So far - good to go when I want to every time.

I just read the specs - that battery will work in your RT just fine. It may not last as long as an Oddysey, but it looks to me like it will be fewer dollars to the mile than the PC680.

Don't count on it. CSB is a Far East company and they make fine batteries. Those batteries, like most other standard VRLA Sealed, Maintenance-Free batteries, will last approximately 3-5 years rated at a steady 25 degrees Celius (less in constant high temp, which is exactly where you're placing it in this application). I buy this same battery about $35 wholesale for our UPS (see PS below).

The Enersys Oddysey (or Genesis or any of their other similar batteries) will last 8-12 years in the same environment, in addition to 2 years of shelf life (vs. 3 months for the CSB - meaning no more battery charger if you ride once a year), its superior performance in low temperature applications, and a myriad of other better specs. One of my coworkers has had an Enersys in his Softail since 1998, still going strong. Try that with another brand.

There is a common misconception on this board to compare Enersys with the other brands - there is no comparison - you're getting what you pay for.

-MKL

PS - I work with both of these brands for a living. My company manufactures UPSs for the military, and for harsh environment applications Enersys is the only game in town (translated: overpriced and way long lead times).

No dispute that the Enersys is better, but at what cost? The worst case scenario from your numbers is that the Enersys will last four-times longer than "Brand-x". If you intend keeping the bike 12 years, that may be important. If you intend keeping it say 6 years, then the 12 year life is irrelevant. The Oddysey costs rather more than double what this battery does, so for the average owner the cheap battery makes a lot of sense assuming they are not looking for a 8-year plus ownership

Better long-term value is relative to planned lifetime.

Andy

edit: PS: I too work with these batteries for a living - my bike got the cheapo PowerSonic UPS battery two years ago at 1/4 the price of Odysey in the UK. Still goin' strong.

Don't forget WestCo...they make good batteries!

Don't forget, WestCo markets batteries sourced from other OEM's. I have two WestCo branded batteries (bought several years apart) and have not had a problem but they are definitely from different suppliers. The older one is ( I think) a Japanese Panasonic, the newer one was made in Vietnam.

Yes, you are correct WestCo is a distributor and, if I recollect correctly, a sub of MK Batteries (a manufacturer). They do rebrand other mfrs batteries but they set the specs.

How did CSB get involved? This is a Universal battery. UB12220.

http://www.batteriesasap.com/48.html

I've been testing one of these since March of this year. I keep my bikes for a long time too and I replace these AGM batteries every 4 years. Never had one fail, following that schedule. I've been loyal to Panasonic LC-X12220P batteries until their price went out of sight. So far, I've had great luck with this UB12220.

I keep all my bikes on Deltran Battery Tenders when they are not being ridden.

Mick

Had that exact battery in my R11RT - worked fine. Like bmw_rider said, you have to open up the holes just a little bit, and the factory bolts will work great - I just used a drill - the lead is soft, so it will go right through.

Can't tell you about long-term...I mistakenly thought it failed on me (turned out it was the starter, not the battery) and I replaced it with a WestCo. Knowing that the starter was actually the problem, I wouldn't have any problem trusting the UB.

How did CSB get involved? This is a Universal battery. UB12220.

Sorry, my error. I looked at the wrong picture. Universal is also a good battery, and as Andy said is "good enough" for this application.

-MKL

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the UB12220 Universal 12 volt 22AH battery and it works great just had to drill the holes a little larger but perfect fit other than that. I also put a battery tender acc.and ran it under the seat. thanks for the advice

Archived