IGNORED

Giving out Vin number of bike for potential buyer?

BULLman

Are there any potential risks to giving out my VIN number of the bike I'm selling to a private buyer?

A little worried about potential identity theft, but not sure if I'm just being a worry-wart. :/

John Ranalletta

The VIN on my GS can be seen by any passerby. Conscientious buyers will want to do a title search and need the VIN. I wouldn't consider a bike if the seller wouldn't give me the VIN.

Are there any potential risks to giving out my VIN number of the bike I'm selling to a private buyer?

A little worried about potential identity theft, but not sure if I'm just being a worry-wart. :/

Forgive the hi-jack, but what's the thought process in greying out the Tag numbers in pics? Aren't they MORE visable to passer-bye?

No worry, a VIN is a vehicle's fingerprint or birth record. No two are alike. LEO and DMV databases are the only access as to who it belongs to. Crimes of VIN switching involve taking a total loss vehicle and attaching the VIN from it on a stolen vehicle.

Speaking of VIN's (small hijack) I noticed while replacing the rotors/brake pads on my 4Runner this weekend that the VIN is in two places on my vehicle- in the lower left corner of the windshield and also on the frame behind the right front wheel. Never noticed it before. I'm just saying.

Speaking of VIN's (small hijack) I noticed while replacing the rotors/brake pads on my 4Runner this weekend that the VIN is in two places on my vehicle- in the lower left corner of the windshield and also on the frame behind the right front wheel. Never noticed it before. I'm just saying.

All vehicles have secondary means of identification in the event the "public" VIN is removed or missing. You found one of the secondary VIN locations on the frame. All are in different places depending on make, model and year.

LEO and DMV databases are the only access as to who it belongs to.

And BMW has my info as well?

BMW's only going to have it if you gave it to them, such as if you bought from them or have had it serviced and they listed it as an owner.

Unless, of course...

They, or anyone else with the proper credentials, such as they are, has bought the information from one of the data aggregation companies (e.g., ChoicePoint or Axciom), who may have purchased the information from the DMV or BMW or your insurance company or anyone else who has ever collected it.

LEO and DMV databases are the only access as to who it belongs to.

And BMW has my info as well?

MB>

The vehicle manufacturer keeps a record of build, ship and sales dates. The dealer adds new ownership info to the manufacturers proprietary data.

The dealer reports the sale of a vehicle to the DMV.

The manufacturer's share their information with a database known as the National Insurance Crime Bureau.

LEO's access DMV records through NCIC and state records known as CLETS in Calif..

Insurance companies pay fees to DMV to allow them access to driving records.

Each VIN can be decoded by insurance companies when they rate policies.

DaveTheAffable

I wouldn't be too worried about it. There are a lot easier ways to get your identity than through department of motor vehicle records. And, as others have said here, buyers want to be able to have the vin number to check for your manufacturer, color, and to be able to do things like car-fax checks for accident history, etc.

On a side note, Florida is quite liberal with this information. Visit their website at,

Florida Motor Vehicles

Good luck.

Archived