IGNORED

Checking Da oil?

motorman587

motorman587

One of our motor-boys over filled the Sgt.'s scoot at work. Needless to say the good'ol Sgt was not happy when his motor was 1 quart too much.

Anybody sent me to link or have picture of what the glass window looks like with the right amount of oil in it, so I can send it to my motor boys.

Thanks in advance. dopeslap.gif

John,

This topic has been beat to death a number of times on this site. Check some of the past threads for guidance. Some folks talk about the oil check dance while others assume that as long as you can see some in the sight glass you are good to GO!.

Good Luck and Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

motorman587

BigDog,

I did a search and did not find anything that I was looking for. I am looking for a picture of the window that I could e-mail folks and say "SEE" this is what it is suppose to look like.

Les is more

Here's a pic for you. There are varying opinions to the exact thing you should see. Some say at the dot, some say between the dot and the top of the glass, some say anything in the glass, and many would find what you see here perfectly fine. The top of the circle is cited in the manual as "Max." and the bottom of the circle is labeled "Min." which should make somewhere in the vicinity of the dot "Just right." Thanks to valley rider for the pic

oil.JPG

ShovelStrokeEd

John,

Leslie has the picture. Here is the procedure.

Drain oil

Remove filter.

Start with 4 quarts of oil

Prefill new filter with oil and install.

Pour exactly 8 oz of oil into some approved container for later use.

Add the rest of the oil to the motor. End result 3.75 quarts in the motor which will bring the level in the site glass to the center dot when you have done the proper dance and appeased whatever Gods determine how much oil your bike decides to show you.

That spare 8 oz works really well. When you can't see oil on a hot motor with the bike on the side stand, dump in the 8 oz and you should be back to where you can see oil.

Go riding.

Leslie sent you a pretty good picture. My owner's manual says to check the oil at "operating" temperature with the bike on the CENTER stand. You are also supposed to wait 5 minutes after shutting the engine off to allow the oild to drain back into the sump. Anywhere in the red doughnut is acceptable after the 5 minute drain time.

Leslie sent you a pretty good picture. My owner's manual says to check the oil at "operating" temperature with the bike on the CENTER stand. You are also supposed to wait 5 minutes after shutting the engine off to allow the oild to drain back into the sump. Anywhere in the red doughnut is acceptable after the 5 minute drain time.
I have found using this procedure I sometimes have a site glass that is absolutely empty showing no oil. However, using Ed's process sited above about the side stand: that's what works from me. I've read Ed say this over and over and I agree that in my experience the side stand with a site glass filled 1/2 with oil (as in Leslie's picture) is the way to go.

I know this topic has been hashed out many times here, but for a new Owner it is not easy to just check the oil as I was confused when I first got my RT(my first BMW) The first time I changed my oil in my driveway, I put the recommended four quarts in. Of course, the glass was totally full and with clean oil could not tell where the level was. Ended up opening the plug and dropped some of the oil out. Did the same thing when I recently brought the bike back from a 12K(37K) service and the glass was full. Now when I do my own oil change I follow Ed's procedure and leave it less that four quarts. When I check oil level I leave it on the side stand for a bit to allow oil to settle out of the cooler, then put it on the centerstand and check. Haven't blown the engine yet. clap.gif BTW, I had oil leaking from the trans drain plug after the mentioned service( I had changed the oil to Valvoline 85-140 2K previous and forgot to tell them to skip it). I removed the plug and found the crush washer was deformed and leaking. I guess it was from improper torque at the dealership. Of course, I had to drive 80 miles round trip because I didn't have a spare washer handy in the garage. crazy.gif

D

motorman587

I haved showed, talked, drew circles with picture, just wanted a picture like leslie sent. Remember people just want to hear what they want and the rest is blank. Thanks.

Archived