IGNORED

Should I respond to this email on CraigsList Ad???

BULLman

Just wondering if the collective thinks that this response to my CraigsList Ad is a possible scam?

To: sale-920975905@craigslist.org

Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:55:37 AM

Subject: '02 Triumph Tiger FOR SALE w/28K - - $3800 (New Port Richey)

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY

** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home

** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping

** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

--

Hi good morning i just want to know if this item is still for sale and

i will happy if you can get back to me intime so that will can arrange

okay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this message was remailed to you via: sale-920975905@craigslist.org

I hate selling stuff myself :(

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I no longer put email addresses in my Craig's list postings. Phone only.

Then you get the people who call and waste your time; "um, I was thinking about getting one and when I have enough money then maybe I'll call you back and see if you still have it..."

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

When I was selling my R bikes I was stringing a scammer along, to the point that he sent me a fake cashier's check. But it was a really good fake. I called the bank, near Milwaukee I think, and we reviewed the check's details...address, account number, routing numbers were all correct. An especially nice touch was the watermark on the back with a statement that the check was fraudulent without that watermark.

The detail that gave it away was the color of the check. That bank's cashier's checks were blue and my check was red. Other than that, it was spot on. I called the Secret Service, guardians of our currency. Their reply was that if I had not been scammed, I should delete emails and shred the check, and cease all communication with the other party. Apparently they get thousands of such calls every day.

I just like that I gave the perp enough hope that he or she sent me a check via FedEx overnight. That cost at least $40. :grin:

I no longer put email addresses in my Craig's list postings. Phone only.

Then you get the people who call and waste your time; "um, I was thinking about getting one and when I have enough money then maybe I'll call you back and see if you still have it..."

Apparently, you don't even need to make your email public.

There is a Reply to: sale-920xxx5905@craigslist.org button :grin:

This is my first time I used CL and also the first time I got an email like this.

I started to reply, but then deleted the email.

The one good result is that someone has already looked at the bike. Bites, but no one else has looked for it.

He lives right up the road, is my age, works for the coast guard, owns an Aprila Futura and a Victory [#75 serial number].

He was aware of the AdvRider site and is interested in the Adventure Bike category. :thumbsup:

He needs to talk to his wife.

I told it was alwayes easier to ask for foregiveness than ask for permission.

He's still gonna ask for permission, but also see how mad she'll get.

Archived