IGNORED

BMW recall of 02 R1150RT

Breitie

Breitie.

I have an '04 1150 that was called in for a possible fuel line problem, fuel line clamps or something, as Jim mentioned..The previous owner took care of it with the dealer....Curious......Did the notice actually use the word "recall"?...I had heard that BMW was using some politically correct statement rather than the nasty "R" word.....

Phil..........Redbrick

I think there's also a recall out that provides an updated crown bearing for the final drive, and also one for a free check to ensure that your transmission housing is aligned properly so as to avoid a premature spline failure.

smirk.gif

Are these recent recalls? Could I call my dealer to find out if anything needs done to my '02? I bought it used so I hope they wouldn't give me a hard time about it. Maybe the fuel line clamps at the tank are the cause of the weird noise that developed sometimes when I turn the key and the pump kicks on. Guess I'll have to call them. So how many recalls are there now on the '02 and what are they? Thanks, Terry

RussInParis

I don't know, but I just heard that BMW is doing some sort of "verification" of all 260,000 BMWs equipped with assisted brakes (ABS III). I found this on a french site: http://afmb.fr/ but if true it should be coming out on english sites as well.

Maybe that's it?

Russ

You, Sir, are evil.

Yes indeed. And just for the sake of those less, uh, "initiated" on this board, who may be reading this thread, Mr. Seth Miller, "smiller" is yanking your chain.

Go here:

NHTSA

Read this:

Make : BMW Model : R SERIES Year : 2002

Manufacturer : BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V028000 Mfg's. Report Date : JAN 15, 2004

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 39000

Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE O-RING IN FUEL LINE QUICK-DISCONNECT COUPLING COULD BECOME DAMAGED AND LEAD TO A FUEL LEAK. THERE IS ALSO A PROBLEM INVOLVING CRIMP-TYPE HOSE CLAMPS, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A FUEL LEAK.

Consequence:

FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, ADJUST ALL CRIMP-TYPE HOSE CLAMPS. ALSO, ALL FUEL LINE QUICK-DISCONNECT COUPLINGS WILL BE INSPECTED. IF A LEAK IS DETECTED, THE QUICK-DISCONNECT O-RING WILL BE REPLACED. IF DAMAGED, THE COUPLING WILL BE REPLACED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON APRIL 30, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.

Notes:

CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

But this is over a year old. Did you just get this letter?

Stan Walker

And just for the sake of those less, uh, "initiated" on this board, who may be reading this thread, Mr. Seth Miller, "smiller" is yanking your chain.

Surely your pulling my leg....

I was virtually on my way to the dealer to get a new crown wheel bearing and seal, guess not, huh? smile.gif

Stan

And just for the sake of those less, uh, "initiated" on this board, who may be reading this thread, Mr. Seth Miller, "smiller" is yanking your chain.

Hey... now just what do you mean by 'initiated'..? grin.gif

On second thought, nevermind...

Thanks for this accurate, factual and constructive feedback. I only received the recall letter, titled 'BMW Motorcycle - Recall Action' and dated 19th July 05 two weeks ago from BMW Motorrad Australia. I am relived that it is nothing more serious. I have had the fuel tank off many times, as well as the pump unit out to change the fuel filter, and marvelled at those dodgy hose clamps myself, but did not detect a leak. One has to be very careful when 'clicking' the quick connectors together to not dislodge the O rings. I find a little bit of Vaseline helps the things snap together smoothly and securely.

I think there's also a recall out that provides an updated crown bearing...

My dealer said they expect another notice of recall for the RTs within 30 days for installation of the spline autolube device. This has been aftermarket until now, but BMW evidently bought the company making it.

Archived