IGNORED

Vegas to Sacramento to Seattle in December??

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Okay, so I'm seriously looking at the K bike in St George Utah. Providing that I can get the details worked out, the plan would be for me to fly and ride. But what's the best route for getting back?

The current owner has offered to meet me in either Vegas or Salt Lake City. From SLC, it's about half the distance as from Vegas. That's attractive to me, but the weather is always a crap shoot this time of year.

Alternately, I could fly into Vegas and take a more southern route home. Sounds good until you get into NoCal or Southern OR and have the Siskiyou to contend with. A coastal route via 101 would be great, but from what I've gathered, it's not particularly speedy.

Yes I have options when I get there, should the weather be cruddy to the north or the fire danger to the south.

Suggestions?

Plan on heading to Bakersfield via Barstow (15 and then 58) to 99 or I-5 but hope for clear roads and the opportunity to ride 395 instead. If the passes are open their are other options but you need to keep current as things change quickly.

Check here http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi and keep the phone # handy, they do update it frequently.

When you coming through? I would be happy to ride with you part of the way and offer a place to sleep for an evening or two if needed.

SLC to this area via 80 is boring but fast....my house to SLC is just over 600 miles so Sac. must be around 650+/-....

I don't think that 395 will be open and even if it is I would not do it myself. I'd try the more costal routes at times and the 5/99 for the rest of the way. I'm thinking about doing that ride as an Ironbutt Butt burner after the new year some time, but it is tempting to do it in Dec also especialy if I get 2 weeks off around Christmas/ New Year agian this year. My brother and sister in law live on Vashon and X-mas there could be great... I'll be up in Seattle for thanksgiving weekend and talk about the trip then, mabey if the timing is right I'll do the whole way with you. As you mentioned the best route is from SLC and away from the coast for speed and distance but the weather looks like it could be a bit tricky going that route, I'll mull this over for a few and look at some routes and get back to you. BTW I'm in Vegas so I may be able to put you up for a night or two if you need it as long as you don't mind dogs and cats...

I have done 395 in every month of the year, you just need to keep an eye on the weather. It was 75+ in Sacramento today and 60 in Lee Vining....you just never know....hell I got snowed on in Shasta City few years ago in May on I-5....

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
but hope for clear roads and the opportunity to ride 395 instead. If the passes are open their are other options but you need to keep current as things change quickly.

395 is nice. I rode it in mid-April 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. What are the roads like on the NV side of things? Take 95 up to Carson City and then head SW?

Maybe I need to borrow a V1 for the trip. :grin:

95 is a little trip through hell in my opinion, but I am sure others will disagree....flat, dry and boring for miles and miles, but then again you would get to visit Tonopah. Think White Center with more burned out trailers and fewer trees.....

However if you go that way and can fit 266 and then 120 west bound to 395 in that would be ok. That section of 120 is a neat stretch of road if it is open....

I am with Deadboy on the 95 being NV's little slice of mind numbing hell. There is nothing about that road worth seeing except a few little stops and some decent roadside food.

And this highway is not immune to bad weather.

Cross this one off yer list Weinersteve...

MB>

PS. If'n ya get in a bind I got a Kendon here to bail ya out!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Rethinking this little routing adventure. That I should probably stick to well traveled roads, in case I should need the help of a passerby. Especially since this will be my first trip on this bike. I can always bail off of the interstate in case of urgency or whatever, but I think that sticking to the major interstate or intrastate highways is probably the most rational approach.

Then we are back to 15 to 58 to 99 or I-5. 58 can get snow but it should be ok, after that clear sailing....395 is well travelled enough that I wouldn't hesitate to take it if the 800 # says all is well, but you need to decide what pass. Highway 50 may well be open but 80 is the best bet as it is the major connector for east west....Monitor, Tioga, and Sonora are all pretty isolated and the most likely to be closed.

Keep me posted, I also have a truck and ramps/tools/tire changing equipment if anything comes up....I will be in Seattle for the bike show but should be around for most of the month....

99 goes through lots of small towns, is older and heavily traveled, so the road surface conditions can be grim.

I-5 also can be slow in spots, but otherwise is pretty open. You can really lay down the miles. Newer road in better shape.

I prefer 99 from Bakersfield to Sacramento, then I-5 after that....

Which sends ya within about 20 miles of Hecksville.....(Madera turn east)....

I wouldnt turn down the idea of heading to the coast and doing HWY 1. The most you would need to be concerned with is rain. Its a complete crapshoot on any of the passes in the winter.

I prefer 99 from Bakersfield to Sacramento, then I-5 after that....

99 over I-5 Nick???? are you kidding me? hahahaha

99 can be faster but the speed limit is higher on 5, less traffic and most of all the road on 5 is alot smooooooother.

If I were in a hurry then I take 99. If I am not then I would go 5.

I don't want to be Nervous Nellie but if you have the least doubt about your bike, I would do the 58-99-5 route. Only for the reason that looking at the dealer list there are a great number of dealers within 0-20 miles of 99-5, at least in Calif.

http://www.bmwmotorcyclesus.com/dealerlocator/dealerlist/dealerlist.pdf

You will have an opportunity to choose as 99 and I-5 are only 20 (+/-) miles apart at a point just north of Bakersfield.

I'd also be willing to bet that I-5 between Yreka and Ashland will have snow at that time of year.

Nonetheless, it sounds like a great ride. Have fun.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Junkman, that is a great pdf you posted! Many thanks! Anybody know where I can get a GPS file of the same thing?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Fortunately Miklos was there to have a look in person.

Unfortunately, the bike isn't up to snuff and I won't be buying it, which also means I won't be taking a fantastic adventure. It seems that the ABS doesn't work, there are fresh oil leaks, something rattles at idle and the current owner doesn't know the history before he purchased it just a year ago. The non-working ABS is a deal killer for me, especially since it wasn't presented with the advert or any subsequent conversations.

When I asked the owner if there was anything needing attention prior to taking a long trip, the answer was "not a thing". Non-working ABS on a bike that has it concerns me a lot more than a bike without ABS all together.

Whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

To bad Steve.

See if you can find a bike down in the Phoenix area by next May. You can stay with me at my parents and we'll ride up to Torrey together.

Fortunately Miklos was there to have a look in person.

Unfortunately, the bike isn't up to snuff and I won't be buying it, which also means I won't be taking a fantastic adventure. It seems that the ABS doesn't work, there are fresh oil leaks, something rattles at idle and the current owner doesn't know the history before he purchased it just a year ago. The non-working ABS is a deal killer for me, especially since it wasn't presented with the advert or any subsequent conversations.

Whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Huh?

I sent you that file of all the dealerships/service so you could make it home.....

Well this a a moot point by now but I am not clear on this fear of 99....I ride it all the time and the road conditions are fine and the speeds are also (85 or so is not going to get you any unwanted attention).....

Better luck next time w/the bike....they are out there!!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/923711012.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/920660908.html

Hey dances -

I bought my bike from the LA area 2 winters ago. I chose to drive down, rent a trailer and tow the bike back. This was in December (I think...) and I'm glad I did it that way. The siskiyous sucked towing the bike, I don't think I would have wanted to ride it. There's also Grants pass and Ashland - if I remember right they can both be nasty.

Take it easy on yourself and drive down to tow it back - the Uhaul wasn't very expensive one way, and you could probably borrow or rent one up here for the round trip!

It'll take most of the guess work out and relieve some stress!

AL

95 is a little trip through hell in my opinion, but I am sure others will disagree.... Think White Center with more burned out trailers and fewer trees.....

My God, someone who's been to Rat City.

Archived