IGNORED

HOW MANY MILES

italiano

In a year of weekend use i can only manage to put 10,000 of mexican backroads miles.

I usually go for a spin on sunday morning and come back at 3 pm and i can only manage at most 250 miles(with a good almuerzo,lunch). On long weekend touring i can put 600 miles. When i am using payroll roads i can put as much as 500 of boring miles.

I do not use my motorcycle in mid week(i use a moped).

I see that many people on the forum have many miles on theirs back.

Do they use for commute to the work? is very very rare to see a mexican motorcycle with more than 10,000 year/miles on their odometers.

?usually when you go for a spin on a day of riding how many miles you manage?

Not interestate, only backroads. Last year i went from mexico city to Grand Canyon and Las Vegas and i know that you can make 600 miles in one day, but what about backroads.?

Traveling, away from home, in the beautiful parts like Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, my days are 250 to 400 miles. I don't rush it, I stop, but I'm on the road from 6am to 6pm. Crossing the country through Kansas, Nebraska and so, normal is 600 to 700 mile days, but I have done 1.000 mile days just to get there. I have a 50 mile round trip commute but they are nice roads so on a nice day it can be 80 miles. Sunday rides are 200 to 400.

In an ordinary day of backroads, I'm happy with 100-200 miles. I can double that without much trouble if I go further afield.

My commute is about 60 miles but all freeway and pretty boring.

There is no virtue in riding many miles just to have a higher number on your odometer. Why worry about it?

No commute to my job, but I do plan a few long trips per year (no kids/understanding wife). I used it commute daily by bike and enjoyed it but now a days I rarely even pull the bike out for a short trip to town....just not worth the trouble of gearing up for a 10 mile ride...I still manage 15K or so a year but I would say it isn't the # of miles but the fun you had riding them...I just did a 6 day 1800 mile ride with a friend (camping most evenings) and all but totally avoided the major roads and stuck to the smaller stuff....a great time and still lots of hours in the saddle. If I need to be somewhere far away I don't mind riding the slab and piling on the miles but I do my best to avoid it.

On a week-end day ride we usually do anywhere from 50 to 250 miles of backroads. Our longest mileage days on backroads has been about 485 miles, probably longer than we wanted to ride.

The main thing is to have fun, whether you accumulate a lot of mileage or not.

Francois_Dumas

Making trips with Nina on the pillion mostly we do 200 miles max, especially on mountain roads (it takes us the entire day anyway).

When doing 'evening rides' around my home place I may do as little as 50 miles only.

I don't really care how many miles I do, it is irrelevant for anything but my insurance company (who insists I should do less than 8000 miles/year or pay more!). Just how many hours of pleasure I have is important and I can't brag about that :/

I don't really care how many miles I do, it is irrelevant for anything but my insurance company (who insists I should do less than 8000 miles/year or pay more!). Just how many hours of pleasure I have is important and I can't brag about that :/

Dude that sucks. How do they enforce that? do they come and inspect you bike? I buy an old odemeter and swap it out just for inspection.

"...Do they use for commute to the work? ..."

I understand that "communte" word, but what's that "work" one?

Don't you just hate retired guys sometime? :clap:

MILES?

I don't give it any thought. I just ride and enjoy the scenery and I start and stop my day when I want. All my riding is done on back roads, be it day trips or month long tours.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Dude that sucks. How do they enforce that? do they come and inspect you bike? I buy an old odemeter and swap it out just for inspection.

They want to know how many miles you ride/drive because that determines your exposure to risk, and therefore how high your premium should be.

If you crash and file a claim, they may come and inspect the bike to confirm the damage; certainly there will be quite a bit of latitude regarding mileage, but if your odometer is reading way off of what you've been reporting to them, it's conceivable that they might deny a claim.

in '03 I had some tipover damage. Agent came to my house to amend the claim for some hidden damage I discovered after disassembly. I had told them "9000 miles per year," which should have added up to about 40K at that point, but I was actually somewhere over 70K, and they didn't seem to mind. If it had been over 100K miles I suspect they might have said something...

I've got a good excuse for having to ride so much.

I live in a lousy place to ride. Really. I have to ride at least 300 miles before the roads and terrain get interesting. If I go north west of the Sierra Nevadas, it doesn't start to get interesting until Morro Bay. If I go north east of the Sierra Nevadas, it just starts to get good at Bishop. Going east? I've got to get through Phoenix before I start paying attention.

I'm tellin' ya, Southern California is a lousy place to ride a motorcycle.

:/

Francois_Dumas

They don't enforce it until you are claiming something (mostly because of accidents)... if you are way over they will not honor the claim and you could be in major trouble !

The older the bike, the better, because the 'average' mileage will help you there.

But what sucks even more is the cap on BHP in France...... it is plain ridiculous!

The older the bike, the better, because the 'average' mileage will help you there.

I don't think averaging would help me much.

2002 R1150RT, 135k miles.

:eek:

Averaging only works to your advantage if you spend a few years not riding very much but maintaining a bike in the garage. That's a sad image.

I've put about 25,000 miles on the bike over the last year but the vast majority has been interstate miles commuting to work. Weekend day trips run in the 200-300 mile range. The day trips are not about miles, all about smiles and unlike So Cal The riding in Northern California is fantastic.

Many a rider (myself included) will refute that assertion.

/hijack

I've had some nice rides down south myself, but my map has huge "no ride zones" all over the southern portion of the state.

/hijack

Sorry. I couldn't find the "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon.

:/

Back ridin' two years almost to the day. Have only put a bit over 25K miles on the bike. So, obviously I'm not settin' any records.

Very little of that while making the 30-mi rt commute for work. Over 90% of my mileage is out traveling enjoying the road and/or sights.

When I ride solo or with one other rider, I'll put 250-500 miles on per day. When I ride 2up with my g/f or with a group of riders (like a BMWST event), I'll generally on put in about 150-300 miles as we stop more often, see sights, take pics, eat better, etc. and try to get back earlier to enjoy chatting with folks.

So, in other words, when I'm riding solo it's a bit more about the road/ride, and with others it's more about sharing sights, time, & experience.

I enjoy all these aspects of riding. Do whatever it is you enjoy.

This long weekend (3days) i went to the Sierra Gorda. As an example one day we rode 12 hour less the time to have breakfast and dinner and to take some photo.

We make 150 highway miles and less than 300 backroads on that time.

I think travel time on backroads is the same in Mexico as in the States.

Thanks.

Archived