IGNORED

Buffing out cyl head covers

SK_in_AB

Finally dropped my RT this weekend frown.gifat 0 mph on a gravel dead end uturn. Small scuff on the mirror should fix with touch up paint. But the cyl head has some gouging from rocks.

Can I buff this out somehow with progressively finer sanpaper and then polish to something resembling factory finish? I assume its aluminum which is pretty soft and I'm thinking if I take is slow and easy it can't look worse than now. Any tips?

... But the cyl head has some gouging from rocks.

Can I buff this out somehow with progressively finer sanpaper and then polish to something resembling factory finish? I assume its aluminum which is pretty soft and I'm thinking if I take is slow and easy it can't look worse than now. Any tips?

Actually, its magnesium. And I personally didn't have any luck polishing it out. It just got progressively darker. The valve covers are painted IIRC. Check out this thread on painting discussion.

Regards,

Mike O

Stephen,

I would remove the valve cover and check for any hairline fractures on the inside. Mag is good stuff but brittle and cracks easily. It will be easier to file and sand the scuff marks out on the bench rather than on your hands and knees.

Mag will polish with the correct compounds but I don't recommend doing so. Mag doesn't do well unprotected from the elements, even air will create a scale within a few days.

After filing and sanding the damaged areas, paint or better yet powder coat the valve cover. Paint doesn't stick well to aluminum or mag without the proper prep work. Your local paint shop can help you out.

Stephen,

Quite frankly, after you went to all the trouble to disassemble this, inspect it, buff it out and have it prep'ed and then painted, you might be better off just replacing it and being done with the scratched part.

BMW of Chicago has a new valve cover for $84. Off with the old one and on with the new in less than 10mins.

Regards,

Mike O

BucksTherapy

You might want to think about a set of the little plastic engine guards. They work very well for these kinds if spills. Believe me!

BMW of Chicago has a new valve cover for $84. Off with the old one and on with the new in less than 10mins

That's a damn good idea...I didn't know they where that cheap.

But then again... anyone can do that. grin.gif

Might be kinda fun to see how good you are with a file and emery cloth. thumbsup.gif

Some of us also just live with the knicks and dings...

"knicks and dings" = "Character" thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I've actually enjoyed talking about how I took that turn to fast and how that sand just up and pushed my front wheel towards the guard rail. Without that "character" those sorts of conversation starters would never have started.

Regards,

Mike O

Archived