IGNORED

R1200GS Display in Hot Weather

Ken H.

My 12GS sits in the sun all day at work. On days when the temp rises on it rises above about 40C (I have an aftermarket temp display on it) the in-dash display panel goes all black.

Anyone else observed this phenomenon?

Bingo! I thought it was just me. Coming back from Wyoming last week, with the temps in the 90's and the sun direct on the panel it went very dark. Looked like someone put a black smudge across the display panel. I could still read the darn thing, but it was annoying.

My GS is at the dealer now for another problem and I intend to ask them about this. Unfortunately it's one of those problems that you can't duplicate in the service bay of a motorcycle dealership.

steve.foote

Ken, that sounds pretty normal for an LCD display. They come back to normal they cool a bit.

Must be hotter in MO than it is in GA. grin.gif

Ken....I ride mine to work every day also. I keep a bike cover in my office so I don't forget dopeslap.gif

The main reason is for UV deteriation of the plastic components. If it's one thing that shows neglect (IMOP) is when all the controls and other various items fade from sun/elements exposure. When I see some of the bikes in our parking lot uncovered in the baking sun, It tells me they either just don't give a shiznet or don't realize how damaging the sun can be.

Ken, that sounds pretty normal for an LCD display.
Well I agree, to a point. But the cheapy $29 LCD digital thermometer sitting right under it that is telling me that it's 40C is unaffected.

Oh well, I guess it's one of those TADT.

Ken, that's similar to the thought I had. A device that is intended to be outside, exposed to the elements, ought not to do that. I guess it's as you describe - TADT.

[hijack]

Somewhere floating around here is a list of all the common acronyms used on this board. If you search back 6 months or so you should be able to find it.

[/hijack]

Archived