IGNORED

F650 twin electrical capabilities

sjn7708

Will the new F650 twin run a gerbing jacket and pants liner (120 watts combined) without killing the battery. No other extra farkles. I think it should as the power output is 400w just like the older 650s, but want to be sure. Ive run the jacket liner no problem but never both together on a smaller bike like this.

One tip is to dress warm on top of the electrics so you don't have to have them full on, but turned down a bit with the heat adjuster.

Will the new F650 twin run a gerbing jacket and pants liner (120 watts combined) without killing the battery. No other extra farkles. I think it should as the power output is 400w just like the older 650s, but want to be sure. Ive run the jacket liner no problem but never both together on a smaller bike like this.

You have to factor in that the ECU uses "x" amount of juice, as do lights, heated grips, turn signals, in addition to the heated liner/pants. My F650 will run my heated liner, grips. with no issues. When I turn on my driving lights too (75 watt load), the system is right on the edge as long as motor RPM is not too low in the rpm range.

I run one of THESE on both of my bikes.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping not to add a voltmeter to the bike but may have to. I do lots of layering as well, but ride in some pretty cold weather, down into the teens if there is no snow.

The volt meter is the easy part. Just splice into the tail light wire at the rear light so it will only activate when the key is in the "on" position. I used my driving light switch wire instead because it was close to the handlebars.

The volt meter sells for about $32-$35. It is also watertight.

One guy has already been stranded on side of road with overload, talks about it on the f800riders.com/forum. Has like 400 watts, and probably uses 280 or there abouts to run bike.

Not much better on my Tiger with 456 watts. Volt meter would help to know when too much stuff is on.

Archived