IGNORED

1200GS Brake issues

namtinker

Hi Guys, my first post...

From other forums, it seems to be that this issue has been beaten to death - to the point where users are flaming each other. I am experiencing the following problems and would like to hear comments from other riders that also experienced similar symptoms.

My BMW is new - less than 2300km. I have this problem: On start-up, the computer checks shows OK. After about 12-20km in normal traffic, I suddenly get a solid triangle combined with a 1HZ flashing ABS signal. This changes quickly to a 4HZ flashing sequence and I am stuck with residual braking only. The servo whines continuously. Then on limping back home, the servo assistance would kick in randomly without any change in lights. The dealer blamed the first instance on my Kisantech modulator - unlikely in my opinion since a manufacturer would be crazy to market a product affecting the brake system. The dealer removed the modulator, cleared the codes, reset the computer and charged me because it was "outside the warranty". Now, 300km later, I have the same problem. I have been told that the problem can be anything from the ABS module, the pressure sensor, the front brake switch, the electricity supply or the ABS sensor routing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. If any person would prefer to contact me off-list, please do so.

FWIW, my previous bikes were the 650 Funduro and the 1150GS on whick I travelled around 60,000km in Southern Africa - mostly on gravel roads - all without problems. I am a staunch BMW supporter and would just like to have the issue resolved.

Welcome, to the forum, Coenraad! Glad to have you hanging out.

I would send a note to the fellow in this thread who had the same problem you describe. Eventually they replaced a bunch of the system, but he's not checked back in with the conclustion to it all.

Meanwhile, don't ride the bike. It's not safe to do so.

You and I are stuck with a stupid braking system that blows the mind in complexity and proneness to failure. Thank God it's such a wonderful bike otherwise. smile.gif

to the point where users are flaming each other

That sadly happens here too. frown.gif There was this guy who went by the name "Ophra" who helped beat this to death. Some assume anyone who has issues is just a pawn of Ophra. Sad. frown.gif

As far as your problem...someone else on the board had a similar issue. Where the brakes would fail and then come back on randomly. Sounds horrible. frown.gif

Here's the thread:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/533629/page/

The brake light modulator should not have caused the problem. But it gives your dealer something to point the finger at.

As far as the real problem. Can you get the dealer to continue to look into it under warranty? Or another dealer?

I can think of things to try, but honestly this issue should be sorted out under warranty.

Thanks Guys

I'll have a look at the threads.

David, I agree whole heartedly - but I just wondered what I would have done in the middle of Botswana... I almost never used the ABS on the other bikes because of the gravel, and although a bit jerky, when used, it worked. Seems to me the new adventure tourers are getting a bit complicated for touring!

I will be trying with the dealer again tomorrow. Also for a credit of the previous service charges (optimistic aren't I!) - hopefully I would not have to go to another dealer. But it helps a lot if I have the facts (and other history) to prove my problems.

Tail light gizmo.

I know it's unrelated, you know it's unrelated, he knows it's unrelated...dealer uses it as a scapegoat. frown.gif

My point exactly but I was told the Kisantech headlight modulator caused it. But that was before I started thinking and then doing the research... Now I am a bit better prepared. But let's see. I have always rated a dealer by the "afer sales service" they supplied.

Kisantech headlight modulator
A head light modulator? Not a brake light modulator? The stealer said a head light modulator cause an ABS failure / fault? Man that's reeeeealy stretching it. What a crock. BTW I have both modulators on my R1200GS (sorry David) with no issues.

Ken

Yeah, but do you know the "running into a brick wall" feeling? Try reasoning with a service technician that is too lazy to do a detail check and too arrogant to admit he might be wrong. And I had no background info to counter, just "common sense". You see, I also made the fundamental mistake of assuming that the BMW brake system could not be at fault. The only thing that changed was the addition of the modulator (which, by the way have saved my butt a few times - especially in Africa - where modulating lights are associated with government convoys...), so it had to be the cause!

This is a REAL long shot, but check the plastic handguard. If it is even just slightly in contact with the brake lever, it will cause problems.

Thanks

I found a symilar thread on the Adventure Rider site - I checked last night. Not touching anywhere. The dealer is currently waiting for a reply from BMW Canada - let's see if BMW stands behind their product. Interesting though, the dealer were not aware of the brake issue at all... confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW- an update from Calgary. The dealer confirmed another six cases today - all with the same problems. Mostly GS's and one RT. Seems there is a problem with the ABS module. One bike is on the fourth module already. Apparently BMW does not know how to solve it yet. And they duplicated the symptoms in the shop.

So... I inquired about the possibility of removing all the ABS/Servo assistance parts and reverting to the standard braking methods - obviously with a refund on the ABS option.

At least I'll be on the road> frown.gif

Archived