IGNORED

07 RT questions

midatlanticcycle

midatlanticcycle

bought 07 1200 RT last november from dealer in litle rock, AR with 3000 miles on it. must say, this is my 3rd BMW and so far, finest bike i've ever owned and that's saying something. changed the oil, filter, FD lube when i trucked it home. now has 7K miles on it and am doing another service along with new F&R tires. questions are 2: #1-is using about 1 pint of oil every 1500 miles at this stage, actually a bit less than my 03 1150RT did. is this close to consumption other owners are experiencing? also, is valve adjustment/check worth doing at this mileage? thanks very much. john lutz/mid atlantic cycle

Here is my take on your questions after owning an '05 for a while:

1) 1 pint in 1500 miles is not out of the ordinary considering the age of the engine. As the engine gets more miles on it, it typically consumes less oil. At least that is my experience.

2) Should you check the valves? Well, the 6k service calls for a check. Did it get a 6K service? If not, I would check them.

I have an '05 also. Agree that the consumption is not out of line and sounds pretty normal. Mine is at 16k and change and the oil usage is slowing down. I keep detailed notes...

Valve adjustment... I vote yes, if for no other reason than the entertainment value, that Look for a Tech Daze in your area for real fun. is assuming you do it yourself. Then do a TBS. You will very likely notice a large improvement.

and by the way- welcome on board.

Oil level does vary depending on type of use and is not all consumption I've found. Some sits in the oil cooler if you don't leave it on the side stand for 5~10 mins then move it to the center for another 5~10 mins. Bike has to be at Normal operating temp.

I run mine around a third on the glass. Only topping up to the center dot, no more than two thirds anyway. Bikes done 19k now and using around a 250ml/1000 miles at sensible riding pace. If I'm at Wide Open Throttle for extended periods, say 80MPH + (private race track ;-) it can use more.

I service the bike myself, valve adjust takes about 1/2hr once you've got the hang of it. Bike runs much smoother if you set them all to min tolerance I've found.

hth

\v/

midatlanticcycle

thanks everyone for the replies and info. question for hopz: what is the TBS you spoke of? anything to improve performance is alwasy worth pursuing i would think. LOL just wondering if that's throttle body synch, or what? thanks much. midatlantic

thanks everyone for the replies and info. question for hopz: what is the TBS you spoke of? anything to improve performance is alwasy worth pursuing i would think. LOL just wondering if that's throttle body synch, or what? thanks much. midatlantic

Yes, throttle body sync. Required only if you adjust the valves.

Edit, and yes, you do need to check the valves and adjust if necessary.

I have an 07 that I bought nerw this year. I broke it in easy for 600 miles and then have rode the hell out of it. It uses almost no oil. I recently did the 6k mile valve check and the exhaust valves on the left cylinder were pretty tight. Check them. I had a little buzz to the moter until I did the valves, it is now gone.

Ron

I also have a 07 that uses almost no oil. The new ones do not appear to need as much breaking in as the old 1100/1150s did and don't seem to use nearly the oil the old ones did till broken in. Maybe the new ones will start burning oil after 100,000?

Steve

Archived