IGNORED

Stock Comm and Radio and GPS - No headset music?

Deek

This is starting to drive me nuts. I have an 06 RT with the OEM GPS, Comm/CB, and AM/FM/CD. When I use the dash speakers I can hear all but the GPS. I was told I can only hear that with helmet speakers, which I have verified when I donned a J&M speaker equipped helmet.

However, using the helmet I cannot hear the FM radio. I assumed to use the helmet speakers I'd just plug the helmet's J&M cable into the lower left fairing connector. But while the GPS comes through fine, there is no FM radio. I even turned off the radios "loud speaker" in hopes that would force the audio to the headset. No Go.

Please don't tell me the only way to hear the radio is the dash speakers? If that is the case why is there a provision to turn the dash/loud speakers off (using the TON button)?

I am SO confused.... :(

This is starting to drive me nuts. I have an 06 RT with the OEM GPS, Comm/CB, and AM/FM/CD. When I use the dash speakers I can hear all but the GPS. I was told I can only hear that with helmet speakers, which I have verified when I donned a J&M speaker equipped helmet.

However, using the helmet I cannot hear the FM radio. I assumed to use the helmet speakers I'd just plug the helmet's J&M cable into the lower left fairing connector. But while the GPS comes through fine, there is no FM radio. I even turned off the radios "loud speaker" in hopes that would force the audio to the headset. No Go.

Please don't tell me the only way to hear the radio is the dash speakers? If that is the case why is there a provision to turn the dash/loud speakers off (using the TON button)?

I am SO confused.... :(

Not as confused as I am. :(

You say that have verified that you can hear music when you don a J&M equipped helmet.

But you cannot hear the FM radio when you put on your helmet?

Can you hear AM radio? Can you hear the CD?

How is this equipemnt wired up?

He's probably hearing the MP3 player in the GPS.

Harry

The OEM GPS for an '06 RT would have been a BMW Nav III. This unit does not have an MP3 player, so he would have to have extraordinary hearing!

No no, I can hear ONLY the GPS audio when I put on the helmet with the CB/Voice/Comm system turned OFF.

When the CB/Voice/Comm system is turned ON, I can hear the CB, and Wx radio in addition to the GPS. Sorry about the confusion.

I can NEVER hear the FM (or AM or CD) audio from the OEM BMW Radio in my headset; only in the dash speakers. Makes no difference if I turn the dash spearkes ON or OFF using the radio's controls. Seems odd to me............I hope I am doing something wrong.

As far as I know the equipment is wired up as BMW originally did it. This is a used motorcycle, but the seller indicated he'd made no changes to the radio, CB or GPS systems but kept them all stock.

Can you hear the FM/AM/CD in your headset, and do you have an RT with the same equipment as mine? I'd love to hear how you do it! Thanks!

I have an Autocom on my '06 RT, and I have the BMW radio/CD. Aside from my passenger, I have my GPS and iPod plugged into my Autocom and I hear all of them through in-ear speakers. However, the radio/CD is not wired into the Autocom and I can only hear them via the in-dash speakers. That said, there are instructions on the Autocom website showing how to wire the OEM radio/CD from the R12RT into their intercom. I didn't bother doing that because I don't really use the radio much, especially with an iPod. Obviously the original owner of your bike did not wire the radio into his "system" either.

I have an Autocom on my '06 RT, and I have the BMW radio/CD. Aside from my passenger, I have my GPS and iPod plugged into my Autocom and I hear all of them through in-ear speakers. However, the radio/CD is not wired into the Autocom and I can only hear them via the in-dash speakers. That said, there are instructions on the Autocom website showing how to wire the OEM radio/CD from the R12RT into their intercom. I didn't bother doing that because I don't really use the radio much, especially with an iPod. Obviously the original owner of your bike did not wire the radio into his "system" either.

He should not have had to wire anything to get the FM radio, CD, AM radio audio to the headset. I'm assuming BMWs designed the system so radio audio could come out the dash OR headset. My system is supposed to be totally stock. I can't believe I cannot find someone on this forum who had the same configuration as my bike. I know the BMW radio is expensive, and I'd have NEVER ordered a new bike with it, but I've got it and need to figure out how it works.

You might be correct and the stock system does not allow the radio audio to come through the headsets, but even considering the other German quirks on these bike that's a poor design IMHO. :(

Harry

I can hear my MP3 player in the headset if I connect it with the patch cord that originates in the CD storage area, but since the MP3 player isn't a stock item I didn't want to get into that so as not to confuse. Heck, I'm confused enough for all of us right now!

What I cannot hear in my headset, and think I ought to be able to hear, is the audio from the BMW's stock $2,000 AM/FM/CD radio. It would blow me away to discover BMW designed the system so that AM/FM/CD audio can ONLY go to the dash speakers! That just seems ludicrous to me.

Harry

The OEM GPS for an '06 RT would have been a BMW Nav III. This unit does not have an MP3 player, so he would have to have extraordinary hearing!

That is correct. I have an aftermarket MP3 player which I can connect to the patch cord that allows me to hear it through the headset (but not the dash speakers Argggghhhh...). But my GPS has only Gretchen speaking information about my route's progress......

That is correct. I have an aftermarket MP3 player which I can connect to the patch cord that allows me to hear it through the headset (but not the dash speakers Argggghhhh...). But my GPS has only Gretchen speaking information about my route's progress......

Are you saying that you would like to find a cable that would run from the BMW dash speakers into the patch inlet for your exsiting MP3 player so that you could choose between the FM radio or the player to the helmet or listen through the dash speakers?

If you would, then there is something here.

http://www.topgearaccess.com/store/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=1321&x=6&y=13

Are you saying that you would like to find a cable that would run from the BMW dash speakers into the patch inlet for your exsiting MP3 player so that you could choose between the FM radio or the player to the helmet or listen through the dash speakers?

If you would, then there is something here.

http://www.topgearaccess.com/store/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=1321&x=6&y=13

No, but thanks for the link.

First of all, see this : https://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?p=156051

Try turning the fader to the rear.

How do you know its a factory intercom? I don't even know that one was available, so it likely is aftermarket.

That link was to a Baere unit or something like that? I don't have that one.

I tried using the fader; I thought that was a good idea also but no go. :dopeslap:

Factory intercom. Maybe it is aftermarket but I didn't think it was. I'll have to check it but I thought it had BMW stamped on it somewhere. I've only looked at it once a few days ago. I don't need the intercomm, wx radio or CB, I was just messing around with it to see how it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the AM/FM/Cd on my 08 RT, but I have the BMW/JM CB and a generic Zumo 550 with XM.

After my dealer installed the CB/Intercom, I saw that there were a few leftover cables from the BMW kit. One of those cables ties the headset to the factory radio. You will need to remove the CD unit from its mount and you will need a special tool to plug the connetors into the rear speaker connections on the back of the CD unit.

Once you have everything properly connected, you can use the fader to switch from fairing speakers to headset for the AM/FM/CD. You will probably lose the GPS audio, unless you get a cord that connects the GPS audio to the BMW radio.

I suggest that you call J&M customer service. They should be able to help getting you the proper cables that you will need, and it will probably be faster that going through BMW.

Pat

Archived