IGNORED

Fall Adventure in a Day

David

Had one of those perfect fall weekends, which we slipped in later than we deserved this year. Cold and crisp, but also sunny and clear. The later fall colors were magical, from the views out back...

2008fall019.jpg

2008fall020.jpg

2008fall021.jpg

2008fall022.jpg

...to the views along the way, including these unharvested cotton fields (that's Mark Davis in the second shot):

2008fall024.jpg

2008fall023.jpg

We stopped at Great Falls in Rock Island State Park for a hike (the last three shots are Jim Williams, Mark Davis, and Kenny Haynes):

2008fall026.jpg

2008fall029.jpg

2008fall030.jpg

2008fall025.jpg

2008fall027.jpg

2008fall028.jpg

Mark put together his usual GPS route: lots of u-turns, dead ends, and multiple unpasable muddy rock routes. :/ So toward the end of the day it was no surprise that we ended up on what turned out to be a muddy, yucky clay road with large rocks, not suitable for a GS--confirmed by a combined four clunks of the skid plate on solid rock. Undeterred, we forged ahead (thanks to Mark, Kenny, and Jim for these pictures):

2008fall037.jpg

2008fall038.jpg

2008fall039.jpg

2008fall040.jpg

Some of these were inevitable. Jim's had enough practice that he's a good sport for the camera. Unfortunately, the second one didn't agree with something torn in his very large thumb/hand.

2008fall041.jpg

Eventually we came to what was barely passable by the two KLRs, but definitely not by the two GS beasts. From above, and then from below:

2008fall031.jpg

2008fall042.jpg

So we sent the KLRs to scout. They called 20 minutes and 1.8 miles later saying it wasn't a good idea. When they say that about someone ELSE'S bike, you know it's true. So we turned around and headed out as the light disappeared. Here's a shot with the HID lights on...and then off. We were obviously grateful to have them.

2008fall032.jpg

2008fall033.jpg

This is not going to be fun to clean up:

2008fall034.jpg

2008fall035.jpg

Bit at least Kenny had fun:

2008fall043.jpg

Great weekend, guys, and fun adventure. :thumbsup:

You guys are nuts! I'm sure you enjoy being nuts... :thumbsup:

Well, it's really a fairly simple two-step plan, typically.

1. Three riders keep making fun of one rider, including some name-calling, until one rider decides he must take the challenge.

2. Three riders shake their heads, chuckle, and get their cameras ready. :grin:

You guys are nuts! I'm sure you enjoy being nuts... :thumbsup:

Well, it's really a fairly simple two-step plan, typically.

1. Three riders keep making fun of one rider, including some name-calling, until one rider decides he must take the challenge.

2. Three riders shake their heads, chuckle, and get their cameras ready. :grin:

I hope you take turns :grin:

What a wonderful trip we had!! Here's David doing his "astronaut in a cotton field" thing:

IMG_3014.JPG

Mark survives the first mud hole:

IMG_3901.JPG

The snorasauras at work:

IMG_3008.JPG

Thanks, guys. This one will be hard to beat.

Mark put together his usual GPS route: lots of u-turns, dead ends, and multiple unpasable muddy rock routes. So toward the end of the day it was no surprise that we ended up on what turned out to be a muddy, yucky clay road with large rocks, not suitable for a GS--confirmed by a combined four clunks of the skid plate on solid rock.

I think Garmin must have changed their definition of "Minor Road :eek:

This was the first of many u-turns for the day, we saw the sign but could never see the actual road:

412960055_xegqA-M.jpg

The obligatory stich reflection shot (hopefully smugmug will eventually rotate these):

412962179_6MRJV-M.jpg

Most of the day was on farm roads like this:

412955661_CFAfw-M.jpg

Unfortunately, David and I had to do this road twice:

412962334_eRAcN-M.jpg

That red clay was so slick, you could hardly walk on it. When the tire caked up like this, it was like riding on ice:

412962879_vD2Mc-M.jpg

When backtracking on the one trail, David made the unfortunate mistake of listening to me when I said, "Yep, this is definitely the way we came in." Unfortunately we went through the gates of a private hunt camp. We got chased down and nearly run over by some extremely pissed off hunters in a pickup truck and on ATVs. After explaining that we were beyond lost and just trying to follow the GPS, they settled down and told us how to get back to the main road. Scary stuff.

On the way home toay, I decided to stop at Russel Cave National Monument. Very cool cave:

413570335_KD7C9-M.jpg

Not so cool fake Indian props in the cave:

413573421_azZjZ-M.jpg

Cool bridge over the Tennessee River:

413575425_TnKe7-M.jpg

413577188_WbjHv-M.jpg

413577035_hvL37-M.jpg

Then after climbing up this little mountain road:

413575540_s4QB4-M.jpg

I was rewarded with a nice view looking back at that bridge (you can barely see the arch):

413570707_i2wJN-M.jpg

I was trying to get back for my daughter's soccer game, so I picked up the pace a bit. Unfortunately I got nailed by Georgia's finest for 30 over while passing some slow-pokes in the fast lane. That one won't be cheap. The first time speeding on a motorcycle and I get caught. Darn the luck :(

Great time guys! David, Hopefully my brand of "physical therapy" helped your back :eek:

Looks like I missed a good one.. :(

Three riders keep making fun of one rider, including some name-calling, until one rider decides he must take the challenge.

"whippin boy" is the term :grin:

Looks like I missed a good one..

Yep, we missed you Todd. We were talking about how much you would have liked some of these roads. Sorry we didn't take any cow pictures for you :grin:

Wish you could have made it Todd. Saturday morning was amazing.

412953730_nBiPn-L.jpg

There is so much incredible scenery in the area my neck was sore from trying to take it all in.

412954703_eYapK-L.jpg

Cold ride home today on the klr, but not bad enough to take the shine off of the weekend. Those horrible pics of me might though. Sorry to hear about the performance award Mark, especially since you've never done anything like that before. It's unfair.

Y'all are crazy. But some of it looks like fun.

It does look like fun, though I could think of a better word than crazy... :grin:

I was doing the same thing about a hundred miles east (as the crow flies) minus the Georgia red clay (it knows no boundaries) and the foliage, weather, and riding were likewise spectacular.

Mark, I found a new way to get to Glen Falls...from the south. :Cool: A whole new (to me) world of excellent trails between Warwoman and 106 and then on to 64/28.

In case I'm ever invited on one of these rides........the answer is "No, I'm busy that weekend" :dopeslap:

Ken, this route actually reminded me of one of your routes, less the 14 miles of mud. You would have liked it!

Mark, I found a new way to get to Glen Falls...from the south. A whole new (to me) world of excellent trails between Warwoman and 106 and then on to 64/28.

Yep, it was a perfect day, Bill!

Did your route to Glen falls include Walkingstick Rd and Bullpen Bridge Rd? My GPS was trying to take me down this trail that starts right at the end of the Glen Falls parking lot:

364039990_Z8NjV-M-1.jpg

Definitely some good stuff back there!

In case I'm ever invited on one of these rides........the answer is "No, I'm busy that weekend" :dopeslap:

Hey, if you ever get the chance to do a photo shoot in rugged terrain, give us a call for the location scouting!

Hey, if you ever get the chance to do a photo shoot in rugged terrain, give us a call for the location scouting!

And be sure to get pictures of Ken riding the Fat Boy through the mud. :grin:

Ken, this route actually reminded me of one of your routes, less the 14 miles of mud. You would have liked it!

Mark, I found a new way to get to Glen Falls...from the south. A whole new (to me) world of excellent trails between Warwoman and 106 and then on to 64/28.

Yep, it was a perfect day, Bill!

Did your route to Glen falls include Walkingstick Rd and Bullpen Bridge Rd? My GPS was trying to take me down this trail that starts right at the end of the Glen Falls parking lot:

364039990_Z8NjV-M-1.jpg

Definitely some good stuff back there!

No, Walkingstick and Bullpen are on the other side of 28 getting down into Banjo Music territory. I was on the west side heading north thru Blue Valley. I thought I heard some but it was well off in the distance. :grin:

That is the trail but it appears mainly for hikers, maybe when the leaves are gone it'd be worth a try.

Archived