IGNORED

Filler neck plug - 09 RT

Checksix

Long time lurker and first post here so be kind. ;-)

I just brought my 09 1200rt home. The gas tank has an orange plastic plug in the filler neck intended to help with using the covered gas nozzle fillers. I thought I read a post here about removing the plug to gain some fuel capacity.

I couldn't find the thread in a search. Is it possible to remove this plastic part?

Thanks in advance!

I am not familiar with an orange plastic plug.

On my '06 there is an black rubber insert which surrounds the metal flange of the gas tank filler and extends into the tank about 2 inches. This insert provides the seal between the cap and the tank. The insert could be removed by hooking a finger through the insert and lifting it out of the tank. Fill the tank, then re-insert. Easy gain of at least a half gallon.

I would not do unless immediately riding a distance of at least 20 to 50 miles to minimize risk to charcoal cannister.

and welcome to the asylum!!!

I took the insert out of my '05 RT when it was new. It provides more gas capacity.It doesn't seal between the cap and tank. The cap does that. I'm told that the insert is there for the European market -- it has something to do with licensing or taxes or whatever.

I took the rubber ?? out of my '07 RT and that wasn't good enough for me. I took the whole filler cap assembly out; drilled 4 X 6mm holes in the ring below where the cap fits tight; reversed the whole mechanism by using a Dremel on the opposing side and can now fill to full capacity without slowing down. The most so far has been 5.62 gallons!

I just brought my 09 1200rt home. The gas tank has an orange plastic plug in the filler neck intended to help with using the covered gas nozzle fillers. I thought I read a post here about removing the plug to gain some fuel capacity.

I couldn't find the thread in a search. Is it possible to remove this plastic part?

Many states require vapor recovery gas pump nozzles so raw gasoline vapors don't spew out into the air while fueling. If the plastic plug is designed to reduce vapors, I'd leave the plug in.

Many states require vapor recovery gas pump nozzles so raw gasoline vapors don't spew out into the air while fueling. If the plastic plug is designed to reduce vapors, I'd leave the plug in.

I removed the gray rubber insert from my bike about a week ago and wish I had done so sooner. I can add 0.5-1.0 gallon more without making a mess.

(Perhaps the government's goal is to capture every stray hydrocarbon [except for the gazillions created by the military, which are GOOD stray hydrocarbons], but I've been pulling up the vapor recovery boot with my free hand for >25 years when filling my scooters and will continue to do so.)

Archived