IGNORED

Srong Gas Smell

bugsquawsher

bugsquawsher

Everytime I stop I get this Strong Smell of Gas

What should I check first?

I have all the plastic off

But I haven't seen anything obvious yet.

TIA Tom

You are leaking gasoline out of something... I wouldn't ride the bike until it is fixed. You may have to get the tank off to find the leak... look for both obvious signs of wet gas and not-so-obvious signs such as marks from dried gas on the engine or frame. Things to check are any quick-disconnect fittings, worn fuel lines, and the fuel regulator/distribution manifold under the battery. Also might be some kind of failure of the evaporative emissions cannister if it is still in place. I'm sure others will have some additional suggestions...

bugsquawsher

Oh Its Parked.

The smell is too strong to not park it.

Of course I got called into work today for some stupid emergency.

I hope the clutch holds out in my car.

Assuming you have a R bike, the fuel lines run from the tank, to a fuel pressure regulator in front of the air box. From there the lines go to the individual fuel injectors. Somewhere along there, you have a leak. Hopefully, the leak is up near the tank. If the leak is beyond that point, in front of the air box, it's a major pain to access. When you look it up in the factory service manual, it says "See transmission--removal". No, you don't need to take out the tranny, but you do need to lift the rear subframe to remove the airbox.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

There was some issue with the fuel quick connectors. Be sure to check that. You should be able to find some info here using the search facility.

Well it just takes a lot of looking. With all the tupperware off, when you first turn on the key and the fuel pump pressurizes if it is in the high pressure part of the system you should see, smell something. Most common causes are leaking fuel tank quick disconnects and leaky pressure regulator. The first being a relatively easy fix, the second a real PITA. There were some issues on '02s with the bottom of the presure regulator wearing through due to improper placement and it's hard to find/see because of it's location below the battery box and in front of the air box.

If it's on the overflow or vapor recovery side look at the hoses, the charcoal canister, those type of things.

Easy thing first - - make sure your gas cap is tightly closed. Once in a while it takes a little extra pressure to get mine to click fully closed. FWIW.

Tom, I was about to post this very thing. I had just completed my valve adj/TBS tune up and had gone for a long ride. Stopped off to fill up before putting her in the garage. I'm on the way home and came up to a stop and could smell fuel very stongly. What?! "If I have to take the plastic off one more time...." Had to stop to wait for a car to pull into my driveway. Stong odor again. Stopped in front of the house feeling that if she was going to catch fire and burn to the ground rather have it there than in the garage. Nosed around and could smell it at the cap. Cap looked closed. Hmmm......punched around on it and "click" cap seated. Whew! Could have sworn I got it closed well at the fillup. Sure glad it was nothing else to tear into at this point. I need some time to recover! smile.gif Hope you find your leak and it is as simple as mine was. Good luck.

Mark

Easy thing first - - make sure your gas cap is tightly closed. Once in a while it takes a little extra pressure to get mine to click fully closed. FWIW.

I was going to suggest that but Tom beat me to it.

I once spent two hours looking for a gas leak that turned out to be the filler cap cracked a hair open. It sure threw out a lot fumes ,even from under the tankbag.

Now I double-push the cap down every time. smile.gif

bugsquawsher

HAHAH

I typed Srong instead of strong.

Well ya'll knew what I ment.

Anyhow

I found the problem

One of them cheap ass Disconnect just snapped off.

I replaced it with a piece of Pipe.

All better now , except for the smell of Gas on my hands now.

Thank everyone.

Tom

baggerchris

Two years ago when Bonbon first came to live with me, I had occasion to take the right side tupperware off and there were plain gas signs on the engine. Loose hose clamps. Just starting recently when the temperature is a little cold in the morning, I get a quite strong sense of gas smell when starting. I took off the plastic again, but the hose clamps were tight. Now you guys have given me additional areas to check. Thanks (I guess) I sure hope it is one of the easy places, as I am not too good with the wrenches.

Chris, I have always figured that if something doesn't work right it is worth investigating. And, maybe this is one of those irrepresible male things, but if it doesn't work right the worst that can happen is that it still doesn't work right after I have checked it out. Go slow, use logic, and good luck. Remember, these bikes are not rocket science, and no one is likely to die because of anything you may do to the bike. BUT, you must recognize your limitations and when you are getting in over your head. There are lots of extremely knowledgeable people on this board to help you, so, WRENCH AWAY!

Archived