IGNORED

Odyssey pc680 modifications to fit a R1200RT?

Husker Red

Last fall I was worried about my battery because cooler temps were causing it to turn over really slowly. I ended up changing to a lighter oil and limping it through the cold weather on the old battery. Now that cooler mornings are back it's turning over really hard again. I changed to the lighter oil, but not so much relief this year. So now I will change the battery.

I had a Odyssey PC680 on my old r1100rt and was very happy with it. I understand that the same battery fits the 12RT, but it may need some modification. What mods are required?

Also, I see that Ken posted a Universal Power Sport AGM battery that is significantly cheaper than the Odyssey. Any experience with that battery? If all is the same and I don't have to modify it I'll probably just get the cheaper one.

Thanks for the advice,

Mike

I replaced my battery over a year ago for the same reasons you state. I used the Odyssey PC680 metal jacket..It's not a perfect fit but I just made it work..So far no problems except it really didn't help..Every time I start the bike, especially in cold weather, I'm slightly surpised when it starts..I've wondered if going to a lighter oil in winter would help ?

I would love to have the kind of cold winter weather you guys have in Georgia and Texas. We usually get the same kind of weather in September. Don't mind me, I am just sad that my riding season will coming to an end soon. Time to dust off the snowmobile.

So far my 05 battery is holding up fine even though I am using heated grips,seat and vest.

Nick

Also, I see that Ken posted a Universal Power Sport AGM battery that is significantly cheaper than the Odyssey. Any experience with that battery? If all is the same and I don't have to modify it I'll probably just get the cheaper one.

Thanks for the advice,

Mike

I had the Universal battery in both my K1200LT and R1150RT and was very pleased. More power than the OEM, spill proof, and as you said, a good price.

Archived