IGNORED

prices

taters

last word on this subject from me...went to the dealership ,,,,needed a new bulb for my high beam....the long and short of it is i was told they only can install a whole assembly..cost $637 i said forget it...on the way out i was told to wait that the tech could drill a few holes etc...final cost fix $85...when i get rid of this rt i am going japanese...these things just cost to much...good thing i had the extended warranty when my drive train went & etc it would have cost me $4000. as it was i was 186 miles from las vegas when it went...after reading the motorcycle consumer news article it sealed it for me....gonna be a triumph tiger or a v strom with abs...just hope i can get another 30,000 miles before i unload it..and to top it off obama won lol

i promise... said they had to replace the whole headlight assembly....promise i won't moan anymore i swear ,,i swear i'll be riding japanese

you guys be nice. i've been to that dealership, and it's no surprise they have to replace the entire assemblies. their tech has a pretty severe uh, handicap (get it? huh? huh? didja you get it?)

tbrn88l.jpg

The bulb is an ordinary H4 and costs a couple bucks.

The headlight assembly is the glass lens, the reflector, the mounting brackets and BMW is gracious enough to throw in a new bulb whether you need it or not. When you see it, you'll understand that it's not a $10 part. Beemberboneyard sold one for $230 recently. Max BMW lists part 63127680471 for $634.22.

And then there's the cost of shop labor. Keep in mind that to change the headlamp assembly (not just the bulb), you need to remove all of the tupperware (both side panels and the front nose which means the windshield too). All that takes time and time is money.

I'm not at all surprised that they quoted you several hundred for the job. It might have been the wrong job, but that's a case of caveat emptor and a fine reason to at least have some passing mechanical knowledge of your bike.

...when i get rid of this rt i am going japanese...these things just cost to much...

...before you go too far down that road...it's not just the Germans...

For a number of years I had a 1993 Mazda 626. A front signal light bulb failed, so I went to the local auto parts store and bought a replacement for a couple of bucks, laboring under the assumption that like with all my previous vehicles to date, it would be a simple thing to change.

After examining the unit at length, and not being able to figure out how to get at that &^%#@ 2 dollar bulb, I resorted to an act of desparation and consulted the manual. I was amazed at the lengthy explanation of how to change the signal bulb, which basically was telling me I had to take the front end of the car apart.

Being a bit skeptical that anyone would design something thus, I stopped in at a handy Mazda dealer on the way to work the next day, and asked them how to change the signal bulb. "that should be pretty simple", the man said, "a 5 minute job"...so after he looked it over, and then asked for the manual, and scratched his head for a while, he called his senior mechanic over. This fellow, who obviously knew Mazda maintenance (very well worn Mazda coveralls), also looked the situation over, consulted the manual, and pronounced that "I've not ever actually changed one of these, but it sure looks like you have to take the front end apart". His suggestion was that both bulbs be changed at the same time, and to use the "extra long life" bulbs which were about $7.

I didn't have time to wait for the car to be overhauled to change a signal bulb, so I passed at the time, and a couple of days later took it in to my regular dealer to ask how much they would charge to change a signal light bulb. Without batting an eye, the service consultant quoted me $25, bulb included. I asked how much to do both, and he said about $30. "SOLD" I said, "and by all means, let's splurge and get the EXTRA SUPER CRAZY LOCO LONG LIFE bulbs, my good man!", and left the car with him and went to work.

When I got back after work, the service manager saw me come in, and was waiting for me....he gave me the bill for about $30 (including taxes)...then laughed about the fact that they should have quoted me about $150 for labour, because, you know, "you pretty much have to take the front end of the car apart to get at those *&^* bulbs!". They honoured their quote though, and changed both bulbs while they were in there, and ate the cost of the labour. I really like the service department at that dealer...

I decided at that point that I would never have another Japanese car.....and traded it in after the alternator failed, and they had to undo engine mounts to raise the engine to get at the alternator to change it....

.....and in other news, Britons shocked to find the 'Cardiff Giant' to be a hoax, while Americans are saddened to miss the rise of the 'Great Pumpkin' this Halloween...

Seriously; I really hate to bust your chops here, seeing as I, myself, am far more gullible than I'd care to admit, but you just 'believed them' when they said $637 without looking into the possibility of some 'self help' wrenching, and walked off pissed, vowing to can a great bike over one puny light bulb, with dreams that a different marque would solve all your problems??....Really??

Do a search using post history and you'll discover an...[couph]..."interesting" decision making matrix.

What bothers me about this is he starts a thread that makes no sense.

Then, he doesn't bother to return to clarify.

With a nOOb, I could give some room. Not here.

dOOfus.

Do a search using post history and you'll discover an...[cough]..."interesting" decision making matrix.

Ahh!,.....I'd always heard that "everyone needs a hobby", and there ya go. :thumbsup:

not just that ..had a final drive failure and had a tough time getting the extended warranty to pay for it.which they finally did. great bike but not worth the maintance and price. in my opinion..will miss it though..fun ride go ahead and put me down..lol keep on paying a company that really just wants your cash...i'm going japanese and some of you who are dismissing this post will in the future be joining me , that's for sure and that's my last word on this subject for sure

For what it's worth, I had a right headlight failure indication in August - two months before warranty expiry and when I asked the dealer to replace it at the scheduled service the next day, they informed me that it wasn't the bulb at fault, but the internal wiring in the headlight assembly - it was replaced under warranty, saving me, it would appear, a considerable fortune!

By golly he's right.

An '08 ST1300 is only $400+

So is an FJR 1300.

Final Drive?

Well, some cost analysis numbers for chains and sprockets over xxxxx miles show comparable costs to FD work.

YMMV.

Zyzogeton, that's my last word. :/

not just that ..had a final drive failure and had a tough time getting the extended warranty to pay for it.which they finally did. great bike but not worth the maintance and price. in my opinion..will miss it though..fun ride go ahead and put me down..lol keep on paying a company that really just wants your cash...i'm going japanese and some of you who are dismissing this post will in the future be joining me , that's for sure and that's my last word on this subject for sure

NO, NO, NO!! I would give up riding all together if I had to ride a "Japanese" bike!!! I'm sorry, I love my "Asian" wife, but that is where my love for anything "Asian" ends!!! Am I makin any sense Vern?????

Archived