IGNORED

2006 RT 'power' brake question

Deek

I'm still getting used to the 'power brakes' on my ABS equipped '06 RT. I love 'em when on the road, but I am still coming to grips with some of its idiosyncrasies when parking or moving it around after starting it. For instance, when I start the engine and back it out of my garage, the brakes don't seem to work very well. And of course I get that "Brake Failure!" warning on the LCD panel. Everthing is fine once I put the mc in gear and move forward, but I wonder if I can do something to improve my braking until then?

Thanks.

Be sure that you are not holding onto the brake when you switch on to start. That stops the servo/abs from initialising and so you get no servo. After a (short) while it re-initialises and the servos come back.

Andy

Be sure that you are not holding onto the brake when you switch on to start. That stops the servo/abs from initialising and so you get no servo.

This does not appear to be true, at least in the case of my '06.

I always start with the brake on, a remnant from my pre-starting safeguard days. The servos are active from the time I turn the ignition on.

Be sure that you are not holding onto the brake when you switch on to start. That stops the servo/abs from initialising and so you get no servo. After a (short) while it re-initialises and the servos come back.

Andy

You know, I bet I do that! Good point, thanks.

Be sure that you are not holding onto the brake when you switch on to start. That stops the servo/abs from initialising and so you get no servo.

This does not appear to be true, at least in the case of my '06.

I always start with the brake on, a remnant from my pre-starting safeguard days. The servos are active from the time I turn the ignition on.

I recall something about the servoes or an ABS test or something during start up. I'll have to retrieve the 1200RT manual and read through it again. With 6k miles put on this bike you'd think I'd know that by now, wouldn't you? :Cool:

When I start I hear what I think are servoes, but the brakes don't have much oomph until I'm in gear. Do you have adequate brakes if you start while activating the brake lever, then back your motorcycle, like out of a garage?

To answer the question above about backing out of the garage after having started the bike with the brakes applied, my owners' manual (2006 R12RT) states quite clearly that: "If you switch on the ignition while the brakes are applied, then start the engine and ride off immediately, the BMW integral ABS remains in residual braking function mode. Self-diagnosis is performed as soon as the brake levers are in their fully released positions for the first time. Until this completes, the ABS function is not available; the same applies to power assistance for the brakes."

I always turn the key to "on", let the ABS complete its self-diagnosis, and only then do I touch the brakes, pull in the clutch and press the starter. This works just fine for starting the bike on hills (just make sure the bike's in gear before turning the key to on to start the ABS self-test sequence).

Huh... my '05 never seems to come back on until I "reboot" the bike by turning the key off then on again. It's pretty easy to tell that it's off as the whole speedometer cluster (including odometer) doesn't work until it's reset. I've ridden upwards of 10 miles and it hasn't "come back."

Of course, I am on an older software rev for the bike...

One way that prevents my tendancy of holding the brake lever when starting, is to crank the engine while still on its side stand before mounting the saddle. I'm probably in the minority in this practice.

I always turn the key to "on", let the ABS complete its self-diagnosis, and only then do I touch the brakes, pull in the clutch and press the starter. This works just fine for starting the bike on hills (just make sure the bike's in gear before turning the key to on to start the ABS self-test sequence).

Thanks. This makes sense and I'll begin following your drill. I knew this at one point but apparently got lazy and forgot. That can happen when you're an old fart. :Cool:

One way that prevents my tendancy of holding the brake lever when starting, is to crank the engine while still on its side stand before mounting the saddle. I'm probably in the minority in this practice.

Nope, I do that too. That way when I back out of the garage, all is up and running and I can ride off normally. By the end of the street, I've got temp indication and all is right with the world.

AD

Archived