IGNORED

Metzeler Z6 on 2004 RT - my take

wbrissette

Recently I got my 2004 RT ready for a 3800 mile journey, had the bike in for it's 12K service and had new tires put on it.

I've run several different tires on this bike including Maxxis SuperMaxx (not great), Avon Storms (awesome), and Pirelli Diablos (very good). I wanted to run another pair of the Storms on the bike, but the regional warehouse didn't have any in stock, and a lot of people recently have had issues with this tire. My set has been great, and the bike has always felt well planted with the Storms. The Diablos come in a very close second. However, he had the Z6 tires in stock and they were a bit cheaper. So, I decided to try them.

After 3800 miles on these tires, I can say this, they took a while to really get broken in, in heavy crosswinds/truck winds, they seem to wander, and overall just don't feel like the bike is always as firmly planted to the tarmac as I would like. Now it's possible that because of the makeup of the rubber, and that they are accounting for some longevity of touring bike tires (miles put on the tires), they will grow more on me as time moves forward. But as it stands now, this tire, like the SuperMaxx won't ever see it's way back on my RT. Hopefully by the time I get ready to put another set of tires on my RT, the Storms will have better reports from other users, and I can put those back on my bike.

I just can't recommend this tire on this bike. Maybe Pirelli will make the Scorpion Sync in the right size at some point. What an awesome tire that is on my Buell, both the Sync and Storm seem to grip the pavement like nobody's business and make me feel 100% comfortable attacking the corners.

I don't know what others feel about the Z6, but I don't like them on the RT.

Wayne

[edit: I should also state that I typically run the air pressure at 40 front, 42 rear]

i've had z-6's on my 2004 RT since day one. i get approx 8k miles out of a set. never experienced any of the issues you mentioned. as a caveat i don't get much twisty riding but lots of serious wind. since that's all i've ever used you're insight based on different tires is interesting.

Hopefully by the time I get ready to put another set of tires on my RT, the Storms will have better reports from other users, and I can put those back on my bike.
Run 'em (the Storms) because you like 'em, not because somebody else does. If your experience has been good, that's all that matters.

I've tried other tires but the Z 6's are the best I've found on my 04 RT also. Flat or twistie roads , rain , windy or dry, I love them.

I'm baffled. This bike has 12 k miles on it and you have had 4 sets of tires? As for the wandering on the highway in wind, I think all RT's do that. The bike is like a sail.

Recently I got my 2004 RT ready for a 3800 mile journey, had the bike in for it's 12K service and had new tires put on it.

I've run several different tires on this bike including ...Avon Storms (awesome),...I wanted to run another pair of the Storms on the bike, but the regional warehouse didn't have any in stock, and a lot of people recently have had issues with this tire. My set has been great... Hopefully by the time I get ready to put another set of tires on my RT, the Storms will have better reports from other users, and I can put those back on my bike.

... both the Sync and Storm seem to grip the pavement like nobody's business and make me feel 100% comfortable attacking the corners.

I don't know what others feel about the Z6, but I don't like them on the RT.

Wayne

I have just finished with a set of Metzeler Z6's they lasted no longer than any other tire (but I used them VERY gently, so I was expecting much more mileage from them). I didn't get on with them at all. They weren't bad, but just didn't inspire confidence.

My favourite so far were (the now unavailable) Bridgestone 020's.

But these Avon Storms are superb (admitedly early days - only 1000 miles).

So if they carry on like this, I might be one of the Avon supporters. It would be nice to have a good British tyre on my bike - I'd feel a tad more patriotic!

Andy

I'm baffled. This bike has 12 k miles on it and you have had 4 sets of tires? As for the wandering on the highway in wind, I think all RT's do that. The bike is like a sail.

John: sorry, this was the 12K service done at 60K. The Storms lasted about 8K miles and didn't wander in the high winds. They really stick.

To answer one other person in this thread, the only reason I want to see what others are seeing with the Storms is because the dealer here mentioned he is seeing a lot of warranty issues where the tires are unexpectedly coming apart. Usually, according to the dealer, this seems to happen more on the fronts rather than the rears.

Wayne

... As for the wandering on the highway in wind, I think all RT's do that. ....

Sorry John, but unless we are talking EXTREME cross winds, my bike is rock steady. What it will do on the inside lane of UK motorways, is follow the rut worn into the road by the tire tracks of lorries. However my car does that too. I guess that is why we see so many road users using the middle and outside lanes (much to my anger). causing tailbacks and frustration.

So, nope - its a great bike on windy days. (miles better than my old Pan European, and my lightweights too).

Andy

Do you ride with the top case on all the time? Might be a factor with the wind.

As for me, I get 8000 miles a set and they are good from day 1 until they are gone. And I don't baby them at all. Last time I was on a freeway was 4 months ago.

I do ride with the top case on all the time and that may make a difference. Also, the bike seems much more stable at higher speeds in wind (70 vs 80), but I do get blown around quite a bit on the freeway at 70 or 75. Two lane country roads are fine.

On my '03 RT, ran the Z- 4's for 9000 miles, mostly 2 up, with top case on. Front tire showed ridges after 3000 miles, but was corrected, after changing tire pressure from the reccomended 36-40 to the current 40F-42R 2up, and 38f-40r, solo. Never an issue with crosswinds. or leaning into turns.

I currently have Z6's with over 8000 miles, with over 1000 miles remaining. Not as much on the twisties, normal flat wear from the open roads, and still able to pass the 18 wheelers in all weather without any unusual wind problems.

My experience on the '04 RT with stock tires was unsettling. Didn't track well on the highway. Passing large trucks, and crosswinds were an issue, and the front felt lighter than the '03. I'm happy with the metzlers. Just my 2cents

Would recommend Michellin Pilot Road 2s. Expecting to get 10,000 plus on them. Everything I've researched pointed me toward these tires and they were pretty difficult to locate. Many places sell out of them quickly and have a 2 to 3 month backorder. I've put about 1000 miles on mine and they are a huge improvement over the previous Dunlops.

What tires do you see the CHP using? they ride the the Freeway daily. I'd think they would use the right tire for freeway riding. i have the Metzler tires and also do notice the freeway has lots of air pockets that hit you a lot. Doing 70 on the freeway is not the same as doing 70 on a country road. If there is a better tire for freeway driving i'd like to know as well

I would second the positive comments about the Michelin Road Pilots. I am on my second set on a R1200RT and have zero complaints. I got about 7500 miles out of the back tire on that bike, and changed out the front at that time to just to keep a matched set.

I loved my Z6's. I had about 7500 miles on mine when I put new tires on, prior to heading out on a 4000 mile trip to the West Coast. I probably would have gotten a little over 8K out of the Z6's. That includes a lot of twisties in the Colorado Rockies

I put Metzler 880's on after the Z6's, that is one hard tire. It is giving me good wear, but they are definitely not as confidence inspiring. I'll research other tires when the 880's are done, but I would have no problem going back to Z6's.

Archived