IGNORED

Is there a law that...

rob1100r

A law that states something to the effect of an automotive part (or bike as well) must be available from a dealer for ten years? I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier and I need a 'pigtail' for the license plate light. I was informed from the dealer that they don't offer that part anymore for the 2005 and early 2006, and that they would have to sell me a new bumper assembly(!) WOW, if I somehow damage or lose the oil filler cap, do I need to buy an engine? Before I rant to Nissan directly I would like to know if anyone has heard of this 'ten year law' that someone mentioned to me. This is a dealer only item, and while I haven't searched extensively for this part used, I don't think I should have to! The old part is the same as new at $23.00. The part number is different by one digit, so it must be different.

Seems to me that from your description, the part is still available. Nothing says that the part needs to be economical to buy, and the type of pricing pressure on older items you are describing is very common.

In that aspect, yes it is available. Just seems crazy to have to purchase a bumper assembly to replace a license plate bulb! Mind you the truck is 3 years old, not 20

Initially thats how I felt. The dealer (Courtesy Nissan) has a very extensive online catlog, and it also shows it 'Not Available'. This morning I found somebody with the same problem on a Nissan forum, but no solution to it yet....

I think the rumor that manufacturers must make "parts" available is just that, a rumor.

Many parts are not available individually, even when new. With the large amount of new models and changes, the manufacturers have to minimize the number of parts that they inventory.

From owning an auto parts warehouse, I can tell you that I have found many parts discontinued in cars less than two years old and most parts discontinued by 10 years. It may not seem like most since many aren't items that you would commonly buy. A Water Pump is going to be available for a long time. A piece of trim in the trunk is likely to be history very fast UNLESS the items on hand from the original production sell so slowly that they original inventory still has some available for a long time. I've seen right door handles still available new 30 years after the left (driver's) was discontinued. The right ones are simply 40 years old.

It is simply supply and demand - if it isn't worth stocking, they may phase it out. The problem seems to be far worse lately as we move toward disposable cars. Drive it for a few years and replace it.

Greg's educated viewpoint is excellent and spot on for this event.

It's too bad that modern cars are ephemeral. I guess that's why the newest auto I have is 37 years old.

Archived