IGNORED

A bike ain't just a bike.....at least not to me

Laura

I don't know where this belongs (if anywhere) so I put my thoughts down here.

I almost did it, actually it was almost done. I put the RT on several classifieds and had a nice fellow come from South Carolina to take a look. In less than 24 hours the bike was sold for asking price. It was worth it.....my RT is gorgeous.

It was Saturday and the buyer had to get to the bank on Monday and I had to get the title from the safe box on Monday also so we offered to ride the bike to South Carolina for the buyer tomorrow. He hasn't ridden in a while and I thought it was the right thing to do.

I'm not an impulsive person, I think things through (and through and through and beat it to death). I was sure I was going to take a break from riding for a while, sell the RT and replace it with something lighter somewhere down the road if I decided to ride again.

Today was an emotional day. I saw a lot of bikes out and my heart was with each one of them even though I was in the car. By the time I got home I was in tears, I just couldn't part with riding nor my beautiful RT. Then I got a PM from Sharon asking about the sale and in typing my response and crying at the same time realizing the reality of being without the RT I knew, absolutely, I couldn't do it. I bought her brandy new and put 44,000 memory packed miles on her. She's quirky, expensive to maintain and a heavy beast sometimes but I feel proud and comfortable riding it.

So, I'm keeping her.......I think I still may take a little time off but she'll be there for me when I decide to take her out for a spin. We've been riding a lot since we got down to Georgia, it's so beautiful down here. I think a little break won't hurt.

The buyer was very understanding. He said he slightly suspected this might happen. He realized how much riding was a part of our lives and the condition of the RT showed how much I cared for it. He's a nice fellow. I hope he finds a nice RT soon. He wants me to call him if I change my mind again. He's been married a long time, he knows women. :/

My husband was supportive....when I said I wanted to sell the RT and quit riding, at least for a while, he said he'd never force me to ride if I felt I wasn't up to it so I should do what I feel is best for me. You should have seen the relief and smile he didn't realize he had on his face when I called off the sale.

Sometimes, you don't know what you have until you almost don't have it anymore. That just happened to both of us.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I feel your pain Laura. I never should have sold my GS...the KTM was a necessary mistake, and now I'm looking for another beemer.

All I can say is, WOW! A woman that gets what Men feel.

Motorcycles are emotional & visceral, all at the same time.

I'm glad you figured it out before it was too late. :thumbsup:

I am so happy you decided to keep the bike, riding is an emotional thing - we can't use our brains and logic to make these decisions. If you had been ready to let go, you would have known in your heart. Take care.

A bike ain't just a bike.....at least not to me

Wow! Yeah, ain't that the truth.

Seems like a lot of people sell their bikes and then buy them back. We have two board members here in Utah that have bought one of their old bikes back, or one just like it, and one of them might be about to do it again.

I guess we get a lot invested in them: miles, memories, elbow grease, customization, pride, pain and comfort. Each of them is a bit unique.

Jan

I sold my bike in June for the same reason. I was going to get out of riding. I really didn't miss it too much until after labor Day. When the weather started to cool off, and the color started to change I really wished I still had a bike. I'm out looking for a new bike now. I would have sold my bike next spring when the warranty expired anyway. I didn't want the ESA or servo assisted brakes that were on my '05 RT. I hope to buy something in the next week or two so I can still get a month or so of riding in before the snow starts.

Much cheaper than replacing it, which you would have done w/in a year.

Six years from now, w/80,000 miles, it will still provide you everything you could want from a motorcycle.

Best wishes.

I posted my RT for sale last year with the idea that I was ready for a new(er) 1200. I priced it a bit high which was my first clue. The low offers were easy to refuse, but when I turned down the reasonable ones, I knew it just wasn't time to part with my 1150.

What it was time for....MORE FARKLES!!! :thumbsup:

Show me the money and Red is gone in a heartbeat.

I have had my RED 04RT for one year, and though I am over the Harley, I didn't think I had fallen for the Beemer yet. In fact, I had sort of been thinking of getting an ST1300, where I would not have tranny, spline or rear drive problems, ever! I took my brother's new ST1300 for a ride on Saturday, and as nice as it was, I wouldn't trade the RT for it at all!!! My Beemer just "fits" me better (I'm a guy, so can't say I "love it")

So, I understand, and am glad you kept your RT. Leave it for a while, but not for too long. It'll get lonely!

Good for you, Laura. I think some of just go through that. I've had at least one motorcycle all my adult life, since I started in college. Some years I rode more, some years I rode less, but I always had at least one there.

I hope you find the enjoyment again!

My husband was supportive....when I said I wanted to sell the RT and quit riding, at least for a while, he said he'd never force me to ride if I felt I wasn't up to it so I should do what I feel is best for me. You should have seen the relief and smile he didn't realize he had on his face when I called off the sale.

Sometimes, you don't know what you have until you almost don't have it anymore. That just happened to both of us.

You have something very special....thanks for sharing....

tHEN what would you get..?

A GS of course. Every one has to have one at sometime, don't they?

So laura, what made you decide to stop riding, even if only for a while and then nearly selling your RT? I know how you feel about the RT though. I decided that I had to have a K1200GT and sold a beautiful, lowered, blue, 2002 R1150RT to make that happen. Even though I have a new 2008 GT, I miss the RT more than I ever thought I would. <<<<<>>>>>>

Lone_RT_rider

tHEN what would you get..?

A GS of course. Every one has to have one at sometime, don't they?

Nope... But everyone DOES need two RT's in the garage. :grin:

Laura,

I parted with my first RT in '02 so we could purchase a small cabin in northern Mn. I was doing just fine until this spring when a group of beemer guys flew past me on the way to the cabin and my wife asked the question, "Would you get another BMW?" At that point on was on every site to get another '02 RT and almost gave up until the unit I now ride came up for sale. After all the years the feeling that I get from the ride to the cleanup just can't be reproduced. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about your RT and hope your life continues to give you many miles of smiles.

So laura, what made you decide to stop riding, even if only for a while and then nearly selling your RT? I know how you feel about the RT though. I decided that I had to have a K1200GT and sold a beautiful, lowered, blue, 2002 R1150RT to make that happen. Even though I have a new 2008 GT, I miss the RT more than I ever thought I would. <<<<<>>>>>>

That's a good question, one that I asked myself and I wish I had a definitive answer for you. I don't know. I just felt like I was tired of many of the aspects of riding and it seemed to get difficult. When you lose the joy in something it becomes a chore instead of a treat and it seemed like a chore.

We've been in our newly purchased house for a little over 2 1/2 months and I had more interest in the house than gearing up and heading out for a ride. I think that had something to do with it.

My mistake was not realizing the what if until it was almost too late. What if this passes and I want to ride again....I won't have the RT. The RT is the bike I saw in my mind 30+ years ago when I started riding. Everyone has a style they are just drawn to. This is my style. I bought her brand new and that's something I probably wouldn't be able to do again with a replacement; at least not a BMW.

So, no pressure (I keep telling myself). She'll be there when I feel like getting out for a ride. Thank goodness she'll still be there.

There were times when riding wasn't easy while raising the kids, but I knew that the bike was paid for and wasn't costing me any money to keep it garaged. I am so happy that I never sold it and just knowing that if I wanted to ride, I didn't have to go out and buy another bike, old faithful was always there.

And I have an Aquamint '02 RT also.

Thanks for sharing, it must have been hard.

I started riding street bikes in the late 60s and sold my 1985 K100RT, that I bought new in the fall of 1984, in the fall of 1991. I didn't ride again untill 2001 when I bought a used 1999 K1200LT. I didn't miss riding that much in those 10 years but I had other interests in those years. I can tell you though that I am some glad I'm riding again.

I think that this may be somewhat what your going through. New location, new home, other interests in your life right now. At least you realized that riding does mean something and you kept your beautiful Aqua RT. When things settle down you'll find yourself swooping down the road again on that RT and saying to yourself "god this a beautiful feeling".

Just like buyers remorse, people get sellers remorse. Happens on ebay all the time. Ive only regretted parting with two bikes: my heavily modified 1200GS (before they started lowering them at the factory), and a suzuki burgman scooter that I had set up for light touring.Strange how u dont appreciate something until it isnt there.Its not just the bike but the experiences that go along with it.

Archived