IGNORED

Trapped in Austin, TX

John_Bennett

I was riding down I-35 Sunday afternoon when my clutch cable snapped. I'm stuck here in Austin, three hours from home.

Lone Star BMW is closed on Monday!

Does anyone know where I could buy a clutch cable for a 1997 BMW R1100RT in Austin on Monday?

Even a used cable would be great. I have to get home tomorrow so as to avoid getting fired.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you Paul. I may try your method of getting the bike rolling at stop lights by using the starter.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somebody in Austin will have a clutch cable I can buy.

The cable is about 46" from stop to stop. Does anyone know of a different brand clutch cable that will fit a 97 RT? Some of the Honda/Yamaha/Kawazuki shops are open on Mondays.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thank you Paul. I may try your method of getting the bike rolling at stop lights by using the starter.

If you're only three hours from home, yeah, go for it. If you're mostly on highways without much shifting, and don't hit any stop-and-go stuff, this shouldn't be too bad.

As an alternative, do you have a copy of the BMWMOA Anonymous handbook? You might find someone in town there who has a spare.

I'm 225 miles from home. I would have to work my way out of Austin, then through 7 or 8 small towns with redlights, and Bryan/College Station.

I estimate 25-30 red light stops. It's mostly two-lane rural highway with a small town about ever 30 miles.

How much harm would that do to my starter and transmission, if any?

You will probably hit half of them green. If you slip it into "N" just prior to the stop light, it will be a smooth stop so only the start will be on the starter. You can probably "time" many by getting way over on the right shoulder going very slow until it changes to green.

But then you added a whole new perspective to it. YOU'RE AN AGGIE!

No clutch cable here. Where are you in Austin? You could leave your bike with me in the north end of town catch a bus home and I will take it into the LSBMW to get fixed tomorrow. If this works for you call me @ 512-632-9950 cell.

John, if you take I-35 up to the Bruceville / Eddie exit and intercept Hwy 7, it avoids some of those small towns.

Any luck on a cable yet?

Ed

You could leave your bike with me in the north end of town catch a bus home and I will take it into the LSBMW to get fixed tomorrow.

That is a very generous offer and I do appreciate it. I am giving up on getting home today. I am 99% sure I can get a cable tomorrow from LoneStar BMW. I will just wait. If by some offhand chance they don't have one. I will try to ride home without it.

Thank you very much for you offer.

I sent ya a PM at 8am.....you still have not read it?????

Thank you for the information about Rhinewest. I called this morning but they did not have a cable.

That was a very good lead and I appreciate it.

Did you call Woods fun center or a harley shop, these open on Monday's. They realize that this is the 21st century and people are mobile, they are not elitist's like the BMW shops.

Any chance a rear brake cable from a bicycle would have enough strength to actuate a clutch? Might be a good temporary fix if you actuate it very carefully. Some are sold with both ends already attached.

The cable off a another motorcycle might also work, but you'd need the complete assmebbly with the housing.

Any custom shops or classic restoration outfits in the area? I don't buy BMW branded cables, I get my local classic bike restoration shop to re-make the broken ones.

Andy

Archived