IGNORED

Two printers, two computers?

PNWBeemer

Hi All,

I have zero network experience but I would like to be able to print to either one of two printers (inkjet or laser) from two different computers in my house. Both printers are USB and both computers are connected to a wireless router for internet access. I'm not really looking to network the computers, just want to be able to print without switching USB cables around (what a PITA!).

For what it's worth, all of this hardware is in the same room.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Is there a way to use some sort of a router or hub? Neither printer is wireless, BTW.

Yeah, I know I could look elsewhere but there is so much collective wisdom here! Thanks a bunch!

Steve

If you'd network the printers, via your wireless router, it's simply a matter of adding the printer wired to computer A to computer B (when you go to add a new printer, select network printer), and vice versa. The print que will then be through the router. You must enable everything to be shared. No extra wires or swapping necessary.

I do this with four computers, and four printers, but it is through a wired router.

Hi Bryant,

Okay, I think I follow what you are saying. With that setup, would one computer (acting as a server) have to be on in order to print/send from another computer?

Any helpful "how-to" guides out there to walk me through this step with Windows XP Home?

You could also add a wireless printer server. I think they cost ~$40. Then each printer gets it's own IP address. No worries of either computer being powered just to print to the printer.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Hi All,

I have zero network experience but I would like to be able to print to either one of two printers (inkjet or laser) from two different computers in my house. Both printers are USB and both computers are connected to a wireless router for internet access. I'm not really looking to network the computers, just want to be able to print without switching USB cables around (what a PITA!).

What is the best way to accomplish this? Is there a way to use some sort of a router or hub? Neither printer is wireless, BTW.

Yeah, I know I could look elsewhere but there is so much collective wisdom here! Thanks a bunch!

Steve

The easy way... No extra equipment, the only catch is that the computer connected to the printer(s) you want to use must be on.

On the computer the printer(s) are connected to:

(using windows classic mode in XP)

Start Menu>Settings>Printers and Faxes

Rightclick the printer in question>Properties

Click the Sharing tab

Click the "Share this printer" button and name the printer.

Done with this computer.

On the other computer (not connected to the printers but connected to the network)

In the column titled "printer tasks" on left side, click Add a printer

Click Next

Click "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer"

Click "Browse for a printer" then next

In the next window, you should be able to see, and highlight the printer you wish to install. Click next.

Follow the wizard further if you need to install drivers.

As I said, the only catch is that you need to have the computer attached to the printer(s) you're using powered up when you want to print "through" it.

Thanks Boney. That did the trick.

Now, if I could just get my so-called wireless printer to work...wirelessly...

Hi All,

Steve

The easy way... No extra equipment, the only catch is that the computer connected to the printer(s) you want to use must be on.

Click the Sharing tab

Done with this computer.

On the other computer (not connected to the printers but connected to the network)

Click Next

In the next window, you should be able to see, and highlight the printer you wish to install. Click next.

As I said, the only catch is that you need to have the computer attached to the printer(s) you're using powered up when you want to print "through" it.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Click the Sharing tab

Done with this computer.

Click Next

OK, I'm in a situation similar to that of the OP:

-two computers (both running WinXP) jacked into one router.

-printer attached to one computer.

-want to enable the other computer to use that printer, too.

I followed your steps, but no dice. Second computer, when trying to add a network printer, only sees "Microsoft Windows Network."

Clues?

A wireless print server is your best bet. No need to leave the PC on and invite attacks. Besides it gives you the flexibility of placing the printer anywhere. Mine's in the basement since I don't print much. But it can be expensive when dealing with multiple printers.

Archived