IGNORED

Zumo 450/550 Question

twilmotte

The Garmin website for the Zumo GPSs indicates the units have a battery and that you can remove them from the motorcycle mount and use them "hand-held." What the website doesn't indicate is how the batteries are charged. Do the batteries charge while the unit is mounted on the motorcycle, hard-wired to the motorcycle's battery? Or do you have to charge the unit batteries with an AC charger plugged into an electrical outlet? TIA :wave:

Just for the record, and for others...

Both units will charge in 3 ways.

Bike mount (while the mount is "Hot"-meaning bike key in "On"position if you used switched power, or if wired directly to the battery)

A/C Charger which comes with the unit, or

Automobile Mount- which comes with the 550, but not with the 450, but it can be purchased separately for the 450.

There is a page on the Garmin site allowing you to compare the features of the 450 and 550 side by side:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=135&compareProduct=414&compareProduct=8582

The main differences are... 450= No Text to Speech Voices, no Bluetooth, and no XM Radio.

No text to speech means the directions are truncated, meaning GPS says "Turn Right" instead of "Turn Right on Elm Street".

This does not sound like a big thing, but for most of us it is. It also means the GPS does not "speak" custom Waypoint names such as "Approaching Nasty Turn" which you have plotted in your planning phase...

The Garmin website for the Zumo GPSs indicates the units have a battery and that you can remove them from the motorcycle mount and use them "hand-held." What the website doesn't indicate is how the batteries are charged. Do the batteries charge while the unit is mounted on the motorcycle, hard-wired to the motorcycle's battery? Or do you have to charge the unit batteries with an AC charger plugged into an electrical outlet? TIA :wave:

As I understand it from talk with Garmin tec support..

_Will re-charge internal battery(s).. There are supposedly 2 internal batteries (only one removable)

_ When hooked to the furnished charger (wall plug in unit) .

_When GPS attached to the UBS on the computer.

_When in the motorcycle mount as long as the GPS is turned on, not if in the motorcycle mount & GPS turned off (supposedly to keep from running down small M/C batteries)..

_When in the car mount either turned on or off (GPS will re-change as long as it is in the car cradle)

Twisty

Just for the record, and for others...

A/C Charger which comes with the unit

I just bought a 450 from Costco and the A/C charger does not come with the unit, just the hard wire for the bike. It's weird because you can't really set it up until you attach it to the bike.

Yes, a friend just bought a 450 from Costco & it too didn’t come with a charger..

Try hooking it to your computer with the USB cord (will take along tome to charge that way though)

Twisty

You can purchase a charger too....

Please understand that I am not critical of anyone buying the 450... but it seems that a (large) number of people who buy the 450 end up wishing they had the 550 and all the tings that come with it.

As one of the moderators over at the Zumo Forums I see it quite frequently. Many new 450 guys asking why it does not do this or that, and where is this accessory part.

So for future buyers...be sure you understand what you are getting when you make your purchase.

If you want the 450, and understand what it is and it is what you want... it is a fine unit and it will serve you well at a very reasonable price.

I like my 450 because I have a Pioneer Inno for XM and I would never use Bluetooth for my phone, plus I never really pay attention when a woman's voice is giving me directions!

Not to be redundant, all over again... but as long as you get what you think you are getting there is no problem.

Regarding voices... I know a guy who sometimes goes for a ride just to hear the saucy Australian Karen's voice. Personally I hate the American girl when she says "Recalculate" she sounds so pissed off.

You can purchase a charger too....

Please understand that I am not critical of anyone buying the 450... but it seems that a (large) number of people who buy the 450 end up wishing they had the 550 and all the tings that come with it.

As one of the moderators over at the Zumo Forums I see it quite frequently. Many new 450 guys asking why it does not do this or that, and where is this accessory part.

So for future buyers...be sure you understand what you are getting when you make your purchase.

If you want the 450, and understand what it is and it is what you want... it is a fine unit and it will serve you well at a very reasonable price.

Learning as I go here....the cigarette lighter type charger will only work if you purchase the automobile mount.

From Garmin's site:

Charge your GPS as you drive with this 12-volt adapter cable. Perfect for 2nd vehicle use, this item is not a replacement cable for the MSN Direct receiver with integrated vehicle power cable that is included in the box with some units.

* Note to zūmo 450 owners: This power cable is only compatible with the zūmo 450 when used with the separately sold automotive mount.

What do you think about me snipping the end off the provided hard mount wire and putting a cigarette charger compatible end on it? The way my bike is set up, my tank bag is electrified, so it would be easy to just plug the charger into my bag.

Archived