IGNORED

Home made Air/Fuel Ratio meter?

Matts_12GS

All, I saw this on the web and was thinking it would be a pretty cool thing to have if you were inclined to put a Techlusion on your bike. Interesting in it's simplicity although I don't think I'd keep in on the bike all the time, just use it to test the mix when I do TBS and valve adjust maybe....

Does anyone know if the voltage values he references are applicable to the BMW sensors?

Air/Fuel Ratio meter

ShovelStrokeEd

Short answers, yes and no.

Actually the thing will read the sensor in the BMW motorcycle exhaust but won't give you any useful information in re true air fuel ratio. First cause your sensor's response is so slow as to be geologic compared to what is actually going on in the combustion chamber (the prime reason for surge, BTW). Second, because the sensor essentially toggles between the rich and lean signal, giving almost no gradation.

Even working with the rich/lean toggle signal, since you have no way of knowing what the sensor thinks is stochiometry, the thing is just saying you are richer or leaner than something. Is it 14:1, is it 12:1, is it 17:1. You just don't know.

good points Ed. Like I said I think it would be cool to have an exhaust "sniffer" or EGA around the house for tuning, but I don't really feel that great a need to do that kind of work on my RT. Maybe when I buy that next V-Twin.....

ShovelStrokeEd

Even exhaust sniffers and EGT gauges are slow responders. You need a rolling road type dyno to use them to do any meaningful tuning and adjustment.

Most of the time, an experienced tuner can get things right in remarkably few trials.

Archived