IGNORED

Autocom & flip top cell phone

Rags

I'm getting interested in having cell phone availability while on the bike.

Can someone explain how it can work with a fliptop phone (and autocom)?

Is there a voice activation feature for on/off?

The key thing is whether or not the cell phone has auto-answer and how it works. If the phone will answer on its own without any action on your part, including flipping it open, then it will work with an Autocom.

The other factor is what if any rings does it pass through when on auto-answer? Some phones ring once, twice before they answer. On some you can set the number of rings. That way you hear the ring through the Autocom and know you have an incoming call. Others just 'pick up'. Connect through when a call comes in. These can be a bit less convenient because through the Autocom you don't realize it has answered a call until you hear the calling party going, "Hello, hello? Rags are you there?"

So it really depends on the features of the phone how well it will or will not work.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

My LG phone in "auto-answer" will pick up the phone with the lid closed, but it doesn't ring in the ear first, so you'd better not be singing along to the music... Also, it waits for the connection to go dead before it hangs up, so if an extra minute here or there will be an issue, don't do it.

For longer rides, I have a plastic belt clip thing-y attached to my tank bag so I can open and close it, and dial if need be. It's much more convenient, but I still never hear it ring.

I have a samsung flipper that i can set to "answer on opening" that i use with my autocom.you can clip it to your clutch or choke cable at the handlebar in a belt case and it works fine.i took a piece of plexi and made a plate for my MP3 player and cell phone to mount on over the left hand unused speaker cover. the phone is within easy reach as is the MP3 volume button. my phone tones thru the autocom a few times then answers. its all in how your phone works.

We may have the same unit. I have the Samsung I500. I see in my phone preferences I have a "talk key", that may handle incoming. I have voice activation on many numbers so I can probably voice activate those calls.

Thanks for the info. Now the research on the auto com.....

thumbsup.gif

Autocom will also tell you that it depends on the phone. My older LG would only "auto answer" if the phone was open. My newer one will work closed, as long as a headset (or my Autocom phone cord) is attached.

I have heard of some brands of phone that give you an "incoming call" message through a headset; I just have to listen for confused callers saying, "Hello??" when they hear my silent answer. Hey, maybe they'll quit nagging me while I'm trying to ride my bike!

If you are phone shopping, you may want to try one with voice activation. I like that feature on the bike.

I now keep my phone inside my glove box while riding. Out of the weather and one less thing to distract me while on the bike. If I want to make a call, I have to pull over to open the glove box and press the voice activation button. For each his own.

Archived