IGNORED

High Vis Jackets

ThomasJ

I have recently started to wear a HiViz 'H' Belt, never did like wearing big yellow jackets, no real reason just personal choice.

Since wearing the belt I have noticed a tendancy for other road users to give me more room. Plus it stops my autocom lead flapping about.

Thanks Tim, 'short ride'? Hmm, 892kms by Google Maps. So about a 4 day ride...there and back. Maybe next summer :-).

Meantime I checked with the closest dealer from the list you provided and they don't stock it, but could order it for 159.95. Hmmm, maybe not.

Is it worth $22.00 extra? Probably but I already have a 'hi-vis' X-belt, not as neat as the Olympia unit but will do for now. It just annoys me to get hit every time something has to cross the border.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

well, talking about Hi-viz, I got some new gear this week.. very hiviz:

PB070067-1.jpg

and somobody mentioned having a conspicious bike:

PB080077.jpg

Yes, allright. it's all work gear. But bright no?

Daniel

well, talking about Hi-viz, I got some new gear this week.. very hiviz:

PB070067-1.jpg

and somobody mentioned having a conspicious bike:

PB080077.jpg

Yes, allright. it's all work gear. But bright no?

Daniel

:Cool:

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

I think many do not wear them because it goes against their nature to do anything that brings attention to themselves..I also believe that is true for headlight modulators..I wear one...not because I particularly want to bring attention to myself but because my personal opinion is that it makes me more visible..I also wear a white helmet.

Well even though this guy hates to bring attention to himself, he says that the HiViz gear is a real chick magnet!!

384791339_NJWPo-M.jpg

That is a definite benefit!!!

One can argue against it working all they want, but that pic right there proves it! I mean, there couldn't have been more than 5 womenz at the Chuckwagon, and they all were hypnotized by that suit! That, and the incredible magnetic personality of the wearer are just too much to resist.

Are you sure it's the suit they're attracted to?

What's the lady on the far left looking at? :lurk:

I think she is looking at the plate of food he is holding.

I am planning on ordering a Police Roadcrafter jacket in Hi-Viz. Any extra visibility that you can provide yourself, especially when you are "working" on the road is a good idea. I have also added extra LED's to my Motor, so I will see if it makes a difference.

Please ride safely. On Friday, the local HD dealer lost an employee due to a motorcycle crash at low speed. Yes, as you may have guessed, no helmet. Nice fellow, what a waste.

Motors

Where can I find a good deal on this vest?

Any authorized dealer. Price is fixed at 69 dollars and change.

That's how Olympia works. Authorized dealer network only.

Got my Olympia jacket on-line from Moto Gear Outlet. No shipping, no tax, received the jacket in one day. They show the vest at $69.99 no shipping. www.motogearoutlet.com

Thanks for the link Laura!

Hi_Viz Yellow is Soooo last year....

420350572_VmRps-O.jpg

:thumbsup::grin:

Jan

Jan,

The problem with that color of Hi-Viz jacket is that everyone mistakes you for a traffic cone. We all know how often traffic cones get run over....

Jan,

The problem with that color of Hi-Viz jacket is that everyone mistakes you for a traffic cone. We all know how often traffic cones get run over....

It's like this, Michael, I asked Jan, "what do you want for your birthday?" He said, "I want to be a traffic cone." I did the best I could. tpLMAOa.gif

Jan,

Micheal,

That's how the new and improved "Chick Magnet" works on this thing. You know you are at your absolute most irresistible right after you've been run over.

Jan,

Micheal,

That's how the new and improved "Chick Magnet" works on this thing. You know you are at your absolute most irresistible right after you've been run over.

Good luck with that! Just remember the dear wife is a lawyer, polygamy state or not! :grin:

I think that you have to face the reality that there are certain times/conditions/individuals that you'll encounter in which hi-viz, modulators, sirens, etc. won't make a bit of difference. But, that's not to say that you shouldn't try to tip the odds in your favor by being more visible.

Personally, I'm a little schizo when it comes to this stuff. My two favorite riding outfits are my Hi-Viz Darien and a black-as-midnight leather suit. But, I'm convinced that the hi-viz approach is definitely more likely to permit you to be seen by other motorists. Having ridden motorcycles for many years (make that decades), I think I'm much more attentive to their presence when I'm driving a car. However, I've had the experience on a couple of occasions of considering, but not executing, a pass, only to encounter an oncoming black motorcycle with a dim low-beam (or no) headlight, ridden by a rider dressed in black, a few seconds later. I have absolutely no doubt that some percentage of the motorcycle fatalities that occur every year could have been avoided if the rider had made some effort to make himself more visible.

Frankly, I think that, as a whole, motorcyclists take too little responsibility for their own safety and are overly eager to attribute the ensuing carnage to the negligence of others.

Survived-til-now

+1 from me.

I wear a reflective flourescent yellow H belt (rather than a jacket or vest) on top of a black Streetguard jacket. My biker friends tell me it stands out half-a-mile away and I definitely notice cars behind giving me more space on the commute to work and I can say that for sure because I have not worn it on some days to see what the difference is.

I think yellow on a black background stands out better than all one colour and I have an idea that as black/yellow is nature's warning colour, there might be something subliminal going on that wavelength too.

But the thing no-one has mentioned in the debate about high vis garments is that if you come off the bike and are lying in the road you are dead meat to be run over and that is where that high-vis stuff could just save your life. Especially at night and in the wet it could be the only thing that is going to be visible......

• 2 months later...

Since I got my white helmet and white jacket and painted the lower corners of the windshield blue, people think I'm a cop and they tend to pay attention. It used to be four people a year would pull out in front of me. Since the change, it's been one.

It's funny how I can spot the ones that are going to pull out in front of me.

Pay attention, because they ain't

Paul In Australia
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

I think many do not wear them because it goes against their nature to do anything that brings attention to themselves..I also believe that is true for headlight modulators..I wear one...not because I particularly want to bring attention to myself but because my personal opinion is that it makes me more visible..I also wear a white helmet.

I wear one and a white helmet and use hyperlite brake and running lites. before I did this, someone ran up the back of me at a stop sign.

Anything you do to make yourself more visible is a good thing. Otherwise why do LEO's have flashing lites and sirens. same principle.

Doesn't mean you don't still take exceptional care, just means you lower the risk a bit.

regards

PCH

Here's a photo someone took of us traveling out in CO during 2006.

In bright sun the color will "almost" hurt your eyes, but that's what it's all about.

The folks said they followed behind us for 25-30 miles and were so distracted by our jackets that they were glad we stopped.

100_0156.jpg

Hey Bob, you and Lily look like good. Love the Hi-Viz.

I started wearing an Olympia Hi-Viz last year and I won't swith back to plain old yellow no-way, no-how.

It find it so strange that on a popular riding day where I pass dozens and dozens of bikes that most are in very dark colors, dark jackets, dark helmets. It's rare to even see a bright red, blue or yellow nevermind HI-VIZ in yer face yellow.

I must look like an absolute idiot to most of them but I simply don't care. ;)

personal choice....it's like....boxers or briefs ?....

+1 on.... simply don't care....

I wear a Hi-Vis Darien.....Because i do.....period

HI Laura,

Thanks, we love the HiViz pieces. They help keep us safer and that's what matters.

On this ride we had left Grand Junction heading west on the I-70 interstate. We were headed to Moab and cut off early on 128 to go through Cisco.

It's was about 101 degrees and super bright hot. at that exit 212, a couple had pulled off to change a trailer tire and came over to talk with us.

We'd realized later that our HiViz was reflecting off their white trailer and they had to keep their sunglasses on to stand looking at us.

Is HiViz worth it, you bet it is.

Call us !!!!

Bob

I just tell people that the jacket uses double A batteries.

I think the reason I wear hi-vis is so I can feel that I was doing my part when someone hits me. When they tell the cop that they didn't see me, I want to be able to point to the jacket and ask what else I could have done. If they don't see me, it's 'cause they're not looking.

Archived