IGNORED

swing arm bearings

Rich06FJR1300

Rich06FJR1300

Hi All,

Has anyone every checked the swing arm bearings (not the paralever ones mind you). These are the bearings that are located right by the rear shock on the R1150rt. I was out riding yesterday and felt a "shimmy" and being this was the only thing I didn't check, i immediately thought this was the case (the paralever bearings are tight as i checked the rear wheel and there is no free play). I know to check the swing arm bearings you have to remove the shock, rear tire and muffler and grab the swing arm and try to move it (should have no freeplay as well). But wondering if anyone has had any experience or what symptoms occurs when those bearings fail. Of course, i just had a new rear tire installed (Metzeler Z6) and thought maybe i was just overly sensitive to it as that new tread makes things handle differently.

steve.foote

Rich,

I've never seen those bearings fail before. I'm sure that they can wear out at some point, but the leverage is so light on them they won't wear out like the rear ones.

Even if they were to wear out, the movement at the rear wheel would be very slight, if noticeable at all, and probably not contribute to your shimmy.

Archived