IGNORED

has anyone changed the factory speakers on an RT?

Danny_Archibald

Danny_Archibald

I cant get good audi from the factory speakers on my 03 RT. I put a Sony stereo in and with XM but the sound is poor and really not even there over 60 mph. Has anyone put speakers in that work? If so what type?

ClearwaterBMW

danny,

the speakers on the RT aren't good

many have changed them with some success

your best bet:

go to the best stereo installer in your town

someone how has "pimped" every ride in the world

and let him/her have a look at your RT....

they'll get that speaker out and give you some advice

these are the guys/gals who know what they are doing

you might be able to install those speakers yourself, but quality stuff changes almost on a daily basis in the speaker industry

don't go to some change like best buy

but go to a local car stereo shop

greg

Aluminum_Butt

I haven't replaced the speakers on the RT, but I'd be considering the following things in doing so.

1. Look for speakers for marine applications. Most speakers are not going to be able to stand up to the moisture issues on a motorcycle. At the very least, look for speakers with polyproplyene woofers and rubber surrounds.

2. If the sound "just isn't there" over a certain speed, then the issue may be lack of amplifier power more than bad speakers. New speakers could help improve the quality of the sound, but they are not likely to make things significantly louder. Depending on the efficiency of the speaker, it might not even be as loud. What is the amplifier rating on the Sony you installed (watts/channel)?

3. Going along with #2 - the Sony probably had four speaker outputs, and you are using two. Make sure the fader is set to provide all the system's power to those two.

4. What is causing the sound to be poor? What does it sound like standing still? If the answer is wind noise, you may need to look at a different windscreen.

Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) is a great place to do research, and their prices are reasonable. Usual disclaimers apply.

Can I ask a bigger question? Why?

A motorcycle is never a very good audiophile environment. Why not go the in-helmet speakers or better still, in-ear canal speakers route?

Can I ask a bigger question? Why?

A motorcycle is never a very good audiophile environment. Why not go the in-helmet speakers or better still, in-ear canal speakers route?

I neutered the entire audio system out of my '03 RT in deference to the same audio system that works in the shower, my off-key singing. No buttons to mess with; same reliable sound. grin.gif

Danny. Welcome to the board. I replaced the speakers in my 02 RT with model nos. MXD-100 from http://www.avisound.com/ . They were about $US90. However I think any 4" speaker will do. I have found that this give me better sound and these speakers in particular will handle more volume before the sound distorts. I also like the sound they make which is an individual thing. However, still at speeds over 60 mph wind noise makes it impractical to use unless you are of a height where you can use the screen (raised but preferably lowered due to wind buffeting caused by the raised screen) and the adjustable seat height to sit out of the wind. I am 6'4" so with a standard windscreen in either raised or lowered position I cannot. There are ways around this (different windscreens) but as I like the wind on my face I have not gone down that road. My solution has been to use the radio/cassette with speakers when around town, for lower speed riding or when two up ( I have found that pillions of normal height or less can hear the radio with me acting as a wind block at no matter what speed) and use headphones and a Sony Net Walkman (or any other portable music device will do) when I know speed is going to be over 60pmh

regards

Michael

I stopped in a few weeks ago to Best Buy after reading a post on replacing speakers. The Pioneer TS-G1040 4" 2way 100 watt speakers seemed like a good replacement forthe couple of $$$ they were asking and fit the hole pattern (according to the previous poster) I figured nothing will make a major differance. I put my '02 R1150RT in my shop and cranked on the tunes and I heard a great sounding system with great bass mid and high ends. Even the guys commented on how great it sounded (Pioneer WMA MP3 CD player). But on the road ..... yuk!! I'm agreeing with the other guys hear. If ya want better sound ... get it thru your helmut

Archived