IGNORED

'96 RT spline lube pictures

Stan Walker

Stan Walker

As memtioned in another post I'm tearing down Jan's '96 R1100RT for a spline lube / clutch inspection / neutral switch replacement. The bike has 71,000 miles on it and has never had the splines lubed since it left the factory. We have had no symptoms that would indicate any problems should be expected other than the non-functioning neutral switch.

There is no sign of rust but most of the grease that remained was pretty much dried up. There is no sign of any seal leakage from the engine or the tranny. The clutch as previously noted has reached it wear limit and will be replaced.

I'm happy to report that the clutch disc splines show only a tiny amount of wear. See the following two pictures. I probably would have reused it if it had any remaining life.

30327684-S.jpg

30327686-S.jpg

I'm even happier to report the tranny input shaft looks almost new. See these two photos.

30327683-S.jpg

30327679-S.jpg

Now the fun begins, trying to remember where I put all of the parts! smile.gif

In hindsight I could have gone longer, still I have no regrets. This way the bike will be set for the next 70,000 miles I hope.

Bottom tally will be new clutch assembly, new final drive pivots (TBD), and new Moly 60 grease where needed.

Stan

FWIW my experience with a spline lube on my '96 RT with about 60k (at the time) was very similar to yours, except my clutch disk probably could have gone longer (although I did replace it of course). My splines were bone dry but showed no wear and looked pretty much like yours (guess they were still properly aligning the transmission and engine back in those days smirk.gif) Like you I could have gone longer but the peace of mind obtained by doing the service is worth a lot... I now feel quite confident to take the bike well beyond 100k without concern.

Stan,

Do you have the original M94 transmission on your 96 or was yours replaced with an M97 under warranty?

What was your date of manufacture?

Just tallying my odds as I head into the second 10 years smile.gif

Stan Walker

Do you have the original M94 transmission on your 96 or was yours replaced with an M97 under warranty?

This is the original transmission so far as I know. The bike had 600 miles on it when I bought it (dealer demo bike) and has never had any drive train problems unless you count the neutral switch that we never fixed.

'96 BMW R1100RT

Build date is 10/95

Vin ...0440833

Tranny s/n 0004637DAJ

Stan

Archived