IGNORED

BMR Co Pilot Shelf for R1200RT

jtb

The BMR co pilot shelf for the new RT is out. I have not seen it yet but I ordered one today. I had one on my LT that I was very happy with. I will post my impressions of the shelf once I get and install it. clap.gif

John Bentall

Please post pictures once you have it mounted - I'll be interested in the pick up points they have used. I certainly liked the BMR shelf on my old 1100RT.

Thanks.

When someone finally gets one mounted... please post some pictures from various angles... the pictures on the link above are almost worthless for details.

Joe

Just purchased the Copilot for the R12RT last week from Ventura County BMW. What a great work of art!! The owner of the shop, Pete MacLachlan, is also part owner of BMR. His partner, Brett, was in the shop last month with the prototype on his R12, and I fell in love with it. He had all kinds of doodads & gadgets hung on it: 2610, XM, GMRS, IPod, Valentine, TV/VCR (well, not yet anyway). Very clean set-up!!

You can view some picutures of Bretts rig at my smugmug site: http://gotzenbergs.smugmug.com/Motorcycles(click on the opening photo to see the rest). (I haven't figured out how to attach photos to my posts yet tongue.gif). Will add photos of my setup when I get a chance.

The copilot is made from heavy gauge "water-cut" aluminum, and powder-coated flat black to blend with the rest of the cockpit. It attaches to the bike with two screws through the top, and one at the bottom of each of the vertical supports. You may have to look very hard at the photos to even tell that it's there--it's that well designed! It is VERY STURDY; no vibration at all. The whole unit kind of "floats" over the fairing cockpit via spacers under the top mounts. It is perfectly contoured to the lines of the bike, and looks like it belongs there. There is a flat shelf on top to mount your GPS, with predrilled and threaded inserts to screw your goodies into. It is designed for the Garmin motorcycle mount, but I use the RAM plastic-type holder, so had to drill some new holes & make an angle-iron adaptor. No big deal. I like to be able to quick-remove my GPS: just slide the power cable off, and push down on the lower lip of the RAM mount, and it's off. I plan to add some of the goodies that Brett had on his unit. He had set up a power block under the passenger seat that taps off the rear power outlet, and ran power to his shelf.

All the wiring is routed under the shelf, which makes a very clean looking setup. You bring in the power & cables via the slit by the right windscreen support, then under the shelf. Tie off with cable supports and you'll never see the wires unless you're looking for them.

You only have to remove plastic fairing pieces to get the power cables routed (no big deal), but once that is done, you don't have to remove anything to install the co-pilot shelf.

Of course, no afiliation with BMR, just greatful for a quality product like this.

Woodstock400

I have a BMR shelf on my 1150RT and love it. Excellent quality and very sturdy. I have a 276C mounted on a crossbar at the front of the shelf, using the locking Touratech bracket that also has rubber shock absorbers on it. Works great.

I just talked to Pete (who in turn called Brett) and learned that they do not have (at least yet) the crossbar option for the R12RT, and the one for the 1150RT will not fit. The issue is the angle of the windsheld on the R12.

So for the moment I am going to stay with using the Touratech locking bracket on a Touratech crossbar at the top of the fork. Don't like it as much as the BMR set-up I have on the 1150, but it works and is apparently the only locking option for now.

If the situation changes, I will let you know. And if anyone else has any good ideas, I'm all ears.

Dan

Peter Collins

Can anyone describe the difference in the BMR shelf (at $165) and the RCU shelf (at $75)? Thats quite a cost variance?

I had the BMR shelf and RCU shelf on previous bikes. The BMR shelf is much better thought out. It mounts more solid and doesn't seem so out of place on the bike. Also the ability to add side shelves is nice. JMO. I no longer run a shelf at all. I don't like to have to reach that far to get to the gadgets.

I probably won't get an accessory shelf for my '05 RT, however I used to have an RCU shelf on my '96 RT. When I looked at it while riding, I would frequently get a queasy feeling because it was at approximately the correct height for decapitation should an accidental getoff occur. eek.gif

I got my shelf today and did a quick install tonight. Here are the pictures you asked for. I am very happy with the unit so far. I seems much more stable than the BMR unit I had on my LT.

Archived