IGNORED

Windshield/Faring Protection R1150RT vs R1200RT

Motors

For those of you who have owned both or have extensive experience with riding both, what are your thoughts???

I am happy with the protection that my 1150 provides, however, I may move up to the "new" RT someday so just wondered what the gang thought with the comparison.

Thanks,

Motors

I had both. I put a Cee Bailey on both to raise it up to the same level. This was a +4 for the 1150 and a +2 on the 1200. I consider them about the same in terms of protection. Both outstanding.

I didn't notice any significant change when I went 1150RT to 1200RT either... and I also went with CeeBailys on both bikes. On the 1200RT I went with stock height and +4 width. I'm very happy with it since the redesigned shape pushes the airflow much higher than stock.

We just got our shipment from CeeBaileys today for all the new 1200RTPs at work. The guys liked the one I had on my personal bike so much we convinced the city we needed them on all the bikes. Those are also stock height, +4" width.

Thanks Scott. That is interesting info. I suppose keeping the stock height helps with the air flow with the shield down during warm weather. My have to try that if I get that new 1200.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
BradJohnson23

I like the height and look of the stock windshield. Does the curve of the Cee Bailey allow good visibility looking over the top of the shield while you ride but still provide protection in bad weather? I bought a large Ztech shield and I am not crazy about the line-of-sight while I ride. Maybe if I'd bought the regular size Ztech I would have liked it better. I do like the width of the large Ztech because it does keep the air off the shoulders/helmet better than the stock shield. I could easily be talked into buying the Cee Bailey stock height +4 width..

I havent had an 1150 but have owned an 1100RT and I now own a 1200RT. My feeling is that the upper area from waist up is better by far than my 1100 was but I think my 1100 had better lower protection like around the legs. Just my .02cents. I think the windshield (stock for both) on the 1200 is 10x better than my 1100. again, I am sure the the 1150 is a bit different than my 1100 since they chaged some of the front end bits.

I had an 02 1150 and now an 06 RT. I think the wind protection was better on the '02 bike. Both had +2" tall aftermarket windscreens. Not a huge difference but somewhat more wind along my arms, and the sides of my legs. Protection on the chest and head is great on both.

This is only an issue for riding in <10C weather - may not be an issue depending on where you live.

Paul In Australia
I havent had an 1150 but have owned an 1100RT and I now own a 1200RT. My feeling is that the upper area from waist up is better by far than my 1100 was but I think my 1100 had better lower protection like around the legs. Just my .02cents. I think the windshield (stock for both) on the 1200 is 10x better than my 1100. again, I am sure the the 1150 is a bit different than my 1100 since they chaged some of the front end bits.

I am in the same boat a R1100rt 1999 and now a 2008 R1200RT. both OEM standard secreens ( I am only 5ft 7inch)

The overall protection is better on the r1200 in heavy rain. The r1200 is better wind protection in full down osition than the 1100. Hotter in summer is a cost for this but only slightly.

Both are excellent. Rode home the other night in jeans and my Olympic Voyager jacket in very heavy rain, with no stops ( no traffic lites etc, all freeway) and my legs were pretty dry when I got there. pretty good in my book. Would love to try out cold protection in places like oregon or Vancouver. Must be very comforting.

best regards

I like the height and look of the stock windshield. Does the curve of the Cee Bailey allow good visibility looking over the top of the shield while you ride but still provide protection in bad weather? I bought a large Ztech shield and I am not crazy about the line-of-sight while I ride. Maybe if I'd bought the regular size Ztech I would have liked it better. I do like the width of the large Ztech because it does keep the air off the shoulders/helmet better than the stock shield. I could easily be talked into buying the Cee Bailey stock height +4 width.

It depends on what size Cee Bailey your order. I'm just over 5'7", and started with a +2 Euro Cut, which I found to be way too short. Returned it immediately for a +4 standard cut, which is a tiny bit high at the lowest position. I can see over it, but on hilly terrain, it gets in the way occasionally; a +4 Euro cut would probably have been perfect for me. I'm planning to take it off this winter, and use a friend's table belt sander to take about a half inch off the top, making the top profile roughly halfway between the standard and Euro cut. At highway speeds ~1" up provides a nice quiet zone for my body shape. The compound curve of the Cee Bailey design has some optical distortion about 1/3 down from the top, which doesn't particularly bother me.

I rode my 1150 for 6 months and 9K miles before buying Ruby. IMHO the 1150 gave me a little bit more protection down around my feet vs. the 1200. However, that was a minor thing compared to the bevy of improvements on the 1200 overall. I also have a Euro cut C.B. windscreen (+1H, +2W).

My sense is that the R1200RT probably offers a bit better protection, height-wise. The R1100RT-P came stock with a "BMW Tall" screen. I'm 6'2", and it dumped air directly on top of me. If I hunched down just a bit, everything quieted down quite well. The R1200RT with the stock screen provides about the same protection as the "tall" screen on the R1100.

I replaced the "tall" screen with a Cee Baileys Euro-cut +2 high with a "flip" and standard width (which I think is an inch wider than stock). To my surprise (and disappointment), the +2 blocked nearly ALL windflow in the full down screen position, which sucked during hot weather. The "flip" at the top of the Cee Baily shield is worth, I'm guessing, about 2 additional inches in height, as it pushes air flow upward.

I haven't replaced the windshield yet on the R1200RT (new to me); still thinking it over. I definitely want a bit more coverage on the shoulders and arms (e.g. +1, maybe +2 over stock width - no more). I may go with stock height or +1, but no more, and I like the Euro-cut alot. Can't beat a direct line of sight to the pavement to see all those little critters go squash as you ride over them. :thumbsup:

Oh, and one more thing. I adjusted somewhat on the RT-P by raising or lowering the seat a notch. Each notch was about +1 or -1 on the same height/coverage scale. However, even though I'm pretty tall, I liked the ergonomics of the seat set low - less back and shoulder strain, and the RT-P just seemed much more "planted" when I was an inch or two lower in the center of gravity of the bike-man machine. But if it got hot, I put that seat up to the top notch to get a much air as possible (can always take a bunch of ibuprofen for the pain :) ).

Overall, I'd guess that BMW has designed the wind protection for someone about 5'9" to 6'. If you're taller or shorter, you'll want to compensate with an after-market windscreen. I'm going to run through Cee Bailey's measurement directions (didn't see that posted when I bought the first screen from them) to crosscheck before I make my purchase, but it's probably going to be a +1/+1 Eurocut, tinted very light grey, this time around.

Based on your description of what you like I recommend you buy a Cee Bailey's Euro Cut #2 with +1H,+2W. Even though I am quite a bit shorter (5'7") I have been really happy with the C.B. screen I purchased.

For those of you who have owned both or have extensive experience with riding both, what are your thoughts???

I am happy with the protection that my 1150 provides, however, I may move up to the "new" RT someday so just wondered what the gang thought with the comparison.

Thanks,

Motors

I've owned an 04 1150RT and now own an 05 1200RT. It would be difficult for me to tell much difference; but, if pressed to decide I'd give the nod to the 1200. Maybe a little better to the outside edge of my arms. I do, however, have an aftermarket shield on the 1200 vs a stock on the 1150 so the whole thing might be moot!

I went from a 2002 1150RT to a 2005 1200RT. The upper torso protection is a little better on the 1200. The 1150 had better lower leg protection, though. This comparison is referencing wind/weather protection with stock windscreens on both bikes.

I did eventually put a Cee Bailey's windscreen on the 1200...stock height and +1" width. It has the euro flip at the top and a subtle flip on the sides. This CB windscreen performs like it is twice as big as the stock one and it doesn't look any bigger than stock one.

Archived