IGNORED

Spray Paint for Valve Covers

Perlova

In the UK the "Holts Silver Wheels" paint is a very good match - I believe that it is sold under a different brand name on your side of the pond but I bet it still has the "silver wheels" part in the name.

Andy

I have used Krylon Silver. The can has a green label and may be a few years old.

For those of you that have a Piedmont Red RT Krylon has a red color that is just about a spot on match for Piedmont Red. I was shocked at how close the color is to the BMW color.

Just did my left one to cover a boo-boo.

I used Dupli-Color Import Auto Spray in 'Artic Silver'. The cap has pn8800910 on the 5oz can.

Sand, prime, spray on and finish w/ the mag wheel polish of your choice (I used Eagle1 NanoPolish)...came out real good....

I had great results with DupliColor #340 Metallic Silver. See this post

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26058&Number=276617#Post276617

Got it at Advanced AutoParts for like $5. My valve covers were scratched pretty bad, so I went one step further and sanded them down, trowled on some epoxy for metal, sanded smooth and painted.

My po-boy fix looks awesome, and despite a warning that the epoxy and/or paint would de-laminate from the valve covers due to heating and cooling of the metal, one year and about 10k miles later it looks just as good as the day after I did it.

I inherited two scratched up covers when I bought my 04 in the spring of 06. After a couple of forest road drops and an 'oops' when I discovered by legs were too short coming out of a steep and canted driveway, I decided to sand and paint my covers black. I like the look - it cost $5.00 - engine enamel is more heat tolerant than powder coat.

I inherited two scratched up covers when I bought my 04 in the spring of 06. After a couple of forest road drops and an 'oops' when I discovered by legs were too short coming out of a steep and canted driveway, I decided to sand and paint my covers black. I like the look - it cost $5.00 - engine enamel is more heat tolerant than powder coat.

How about posting a picture? That sounds like a great idea and might look good on my Black RT.

HRminneapolis

somewhere in this site, I swear I saw a post that said that Krylon Dull Aluminum was very good match for the silver colored engine parts. The author then said that he used some clear polyurethane spray as a light top coat which would eventually heat-discolor exactly to match the rest of the engine.

sure wish I could find that post again...

somewhere in this site, I swear I saw a post that said that Krylon Dull Aluminum was very good match for the silver colored engine parts. The author then said that he used some clear polyurethane spray as a light top coat which would eventually heat-discolor exactly to match the rest of the engine.

sure wish I could find that post again...

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=14&Number=205734

My 2002 1150RT looks like it has a GS top end.

Can anyone confirm this. I have never seen a RT with black heads.

PS this had the dual spark modification.........

Regards,

Brian (PS picture should be attached)

4071.jpg.78b7b4286d4b377b9132547a90e124ef.jpg

I've personally never heard of a 'GS top end'. I'm not aware of any difference between the 'top end' of either an RT or GS model for the 2002 model year. Looking at this picture, it appears that someone has had the 'top end' (valve train) powder coated or painted black. That's it. It looks interesting, but provides no mechanical advantage.

Mike O

Brian,

I think you just have powder-coated valve covers. I did the same thing to my 1999 R1100RT but got tired of the look and went back to silver. I did have the wheels powdercoated black also and that looks really good with the black and white RTP paint job.

Bob

Currently working on "tricking out" the covers (and other stuff) on the R..will post a pic or two when completed. This thread kinda got me motivated :clap:

Hmm,

Powder-coated covers. They do look unusual. Not that I am planning on changing them back to the original silver, but, how does one apply paint over powder-coating?

Thanks....

I had great results with DupliColor #340 Metallic Silver. See this post

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26058&Number=276617#Post276617

Got it at Advanced AutoParts for like $5. My valve covers were scratched pretty bad, so I went one step further and sanded them down, trowled on some epoxy for metal, sanded smooth and painted.

My po-boy fix looks awesome, and despite a warning that the epoxy and/or paint would de-laminate from the valve covers due to heating and cooling of the metal, one year and about 10k miles later it looks just as good as the day after I did it.

I took your advice and did the epoxy/primer/Dupli-Color #340 paint and the results turned out great (in my humble opinion).

Considering that I would rather go to the dentist then do any painting, I'm quite happy.

The result is more silvery and shiny compared to the original (see photos) but maybe with some polish to tone it down, it might be closer.

PA300798.JPG

^^^^The fixed side. Better then it looked after the 30 foot slide.^^^^

PA300799.JPG

^^^^The remaining original side.^^^^

Well since I've tried (read the FAQ) on how to insert images in

a post, and can't get it to work, here's a link:

R1100mods

I'm like'n the Red/Black/Silver scheme more all the time. Notice the "blacked out" dash area, the fork fairings below the the front fender/mud guard, and the wind/screen/shield.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

In photobucket hover over the thumbnail and a dropdown appears. Click on the text next to IMG and it copies the code to the clipboard. Paste this directly into your post without using any links/buttons. Andy

Archived