IGNORED

BMW vs Harley

Softtail

I am involved in a strugle between two radically different motorcycles, a 1991 Softtail Custom, FXSTC and a 2002 R1150RT. I have owned BSAs, Cushman, Harleys, Hondas, Norton , Yahama, but nothing has left me so torn as the vast gulf between my 1991 FXSTC and my Beamer. I have ridden the Softtail from OR to Sturgis and back three times and the Beamer from OR to Texas and back in seven days. Before I got the RT, I felt totally committed to the Harley, but something has changed!! Now, when I ride the Harley, I hear sounds that I never really noticed before, valve sounds, rocker sounds, lifter sounds and god only knows what those other sounds are. When the RT and I are together, the engine sounds are so much more reasuring, a purr or humm!! My Stayintune echos out a tune you could dance to. The Harley putts down the road with a deep throaty rumble and engine noises like a coffee can full of rocks. Am I just imagining things or is my RT motor just that much smoother and pleasent to be around? I love them both but am torn between the incredible power and smoothness of the BMW and the raw power of the Hog. I have about $5000.00 in the Harley motor and the RT, out of the box will run circles around the Softtail, what am I to do?? I quess I will just have to face down my demons!!! Ride them and love them for what they are!!!! dopeslap.gif

John Bentall

A guy 10 doors up from my house started his H-D Fatboy with stage 1 pipes and 1550 bored-out motor. I went to have a look, twist the throttle a bit and was really excited by the noise, pulsating motor, polished chrome etc. I returned to my garage, looked at my sombre black/silver RT and we agreed (that's the RT and I) that such trivial tricks are not what life is about.

ShovelStrokeEd

Ir shouldn't be that much of a struggle. Neither bike has the same role. Relegate the HD to its true purpose, cruising around on a nice Friday or Sunday night. That you endured long distance rides on it gives you some wonderful memories to hold on to. When it comes to covering ground though, the BMW is so far superior as to be no contest. Much higher average speeds with much less fatigue at the end of the day.

The technology difference between a '91 HD and an '02 BMW is so large as to render the poor soft tail into the stone age. Its funny though, the RT will spank the HD in terms of shear performance but the HD manages to give the impression of being a far more powerful machine. Actually, with another 5K or so in the motor, you could probably beat the RT on a straight road. Love 'em for what de is.

I rode my 94'Springer Softail FXSTS to Americade in 2001, test rode the 02R1150RT, rode the Springer home, bought the RT and started crossing state lines on a whim. After riding the RT the Softail did not interest me because it couldn't impress me over the RT. Everytime I walked into the garage I got on the BMW. Now I've switched to urban riding and a little Suzuki SV650. Each bike had it's time and purpose, for me. If I had the room I'd probably have them all, but it's a shame to leave a bike sit.

Who knows what is next? My guess is a Honda or a Ducati. Ultimately, it's the two wheels that interest me and how they fit my habit. By the time I'm 90 I might be back on Harley's grin.gif

I loved my 2003 RT. If I could have ever gotten comfortable with the ergonomics and would have had more options for mechanical service (dealer support) I would still be on it..Not sure I agree with you about the smoothness of the engine though..I guess I was just used to the Harley but my RT had a very annoying "buzz" to me..Good luck..Ain't life great when this is your biggest problem! thumbsup.gif

I began riding about a year and a half ago at age 58 on a 2004 Kawaskaki Vulcan 1600 Classic. I have put nearly 7000 miles on the Vulcan during that time. It has floorboards and a heel shifter. I have upgraded the seat and my longest ride to date on the Vulcan was 460 miles in a day. While I was tired at the end of the day, I did not suffer a sore butt and found the bike to be very comfortable.

I have been a Porsche club member since 1978 and have owned a number of Porsches, BMWs, Audi's and Mercedes's during that time. Because of my favoring German vehicles, I began looking at BMW bikes and decided on the 1150Rt. I recently bought a 2002 1150RT with 8700 miles.

It is so radically different from the cruiser that I am still adjusting to it. I have suffered from some sore butt on the bike, purchased a used Bill Mayer seat with little advantage and am considering barbacks. To be fair, I have only ridden the RT around 400 miles so far so I am still learning the bike and tailoring it to me. I love the way it feels in the corners which was one of the characteristics that I was looking forward to the most.

If I get on it hard and go through the gears, all is well and the shifts are no issue. Shifting at somewhat moderate RPM's has been challenging as I am having a difficult time being smooth. My wife's Yamaha V Star 1100 Classice has a toe shifter and I do not have a problem being smooth with the shifter. Any suggestions?

riding4work

The only thing in common is they are twins.

It's best to own only one bike at a a time.

The other day I was riding my Harley with my Goldwing jacket and my BMW helmet on and waved to a Ducati rider.

I was so confussed.

ShovelStrokeEd

Yeah,

Engage your Throttlemeister part way so that you have a good deal of drag on the throttle. That will smooth you shifting quite a bit.

My guess is that you won't settle this dilemma. Once Harley's get into your system they are hard to shake off.

I have gone back and forth several times (HD FLHT, Roadking, Wideglide, BMW 96 RT, 04 RT) For real riding, though, I'm always been happier with an RT. I'm a sucker for the look and sound of a Harley. I also like the way they ride and feel--up to 60 miles an hour. From that speed upward, I'll take my RT any day. You have the best of both worlds since you have both, even though odds are you will put more miles on your bmw. If you get rid of one, you'll always miss what you don't have.

Meads

Love my RT...but...it is kind of hard to dress up in biker clothes and ride into Chuys on bike night with the same coolness factor as the Harley guys.

Wish there was a switch on the RT that would change its sound from Europurr to Harley Roar once a week.

But,Hey ...if you're out there on two wheels it's all good!!!

My $.02

My guess is that you won't settle this dilemma. Once Harley's get into your system they are hard to shake off.

I have gone back and forth several times (HD FLHT, Roadking, Wideglide, BMW 96 RT, 04 RT) For real riding, though, I'm always been happier with an RT. I'm a sucker for the look and sound of a Harley. I also like the way they ride and feel--up to 60 miles an hour. From that speed upward, I'll take my RT any day. You have the best of both worlds since you have both, even though odds are you will put more miles on your bmw. If you get rid of one, you'll always miss what you don't have.

Meads

What he said. I miss my cruisers every now and again, even though I love riding my RT.

Yeah,

Engage your Throttlemeister part way so that you have a good deal of drag on the throttle. That will smooth you shifting quite a bit.

That did help. Thanks.

Mr. Tail,

I just rented an 05' Wide Glide for the weekend and had a good time. And it is apples to oranges for sure. I did so for fun for an event I'm helping with.

The Harley has it's falts in a comparison stand point.

It doesn't punch the air or handle like an RT. It's not as comfortable as an RT. The Harley shift's like my old 73 Bultaco with a clutch pull to match. The gauges are worthless. The brakes are almost worthless, so give yourself some distance. The fuel mileage/tank capcity is not so good. The riders seat isn't bad, the passenger seat...painfull. But that motor pulls like a John Deer and nothing sounds like a Harley for sure. I honestly couldn't find myself torn between the two because my RT does what I need a motorcycle to do on the road. And that's what puts a smile on my face.

I'm down to three in my stable and maybe some day I may consider building one.

Go rent a Harley and test ride an RT. Only you can determine what blows yer skirt up the most. grin.gif

Did I have a blast on the Harley?...you betcha. thumbsup.gif

Did I hate to give it back?...hell yes bncry.gif

Would I have one as an only bike? hell no. cool.gif

Archived