IGNORED

Relative seating position for a K1100RS?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

So I finally sold the KTM and for my price range I can get a 78-85 R bike or a later model K bike. My problem is that I have ridden a fairly upright bike for the last 9 years...RT, GS and the KTM.

Before I plunk down cash on a bike not in my local area, I'd like to get a sense of what the reach is...any idea what new bike comes close? Helpful info appreciated - is it more of a reach than a K1200R, but less than a S? I've seen bar backs for the K1100RS but if I can't stand it, then the money is wasted.

Suggestions?

Having ridden a '93 K1100RS for 11 years ('93-'04) the riding position is say, 2 pm on the clock vs. 12 noon. You will notice more weight on your wrists vs. the RT. The K1200RS is essentially the same so more weight on your wrists as well. I have ridden the K12RS only 2 times in the last 8 years or so. To be more upright I put a set of K75C bars on the bike and the riding position made me more upright. New fork springs and a new shock made a world of difference in the handling. No more "dive" so to speak in the front end. Oh, by the way, I loved that bike.

P.S. Do you know someone with a K bike or a dealer that has one? A test ride is what you need. Good luck.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Thanks Keith. I found someone who has a K1100RS in town for at least a sit test. I have found a few K1200Ss in town, but no dealer with a RS. When the K75C bars are added, or some bar backs, does the relative position move to 1-pm?

The bike I'm looking at has a corbin saddle and ohlins, so at least I could get it rebuilt.

I think 1 pm might be a stretch with the K75C bars alone. I guess I could see 1 pm with barbacks added to the mix. My K11 had a Corbin seat on it as well with a Works shock. That damn seat NEVER softened up in 10 years and about 55K miles of riding

Dennis Andress

Hi Steve!!

The K100RS bars where a bit narrower than the K12s, making low speed riding harder. It wasn't an easy bike to lane split because of this. The bars/seat positioning versus the K12 has the seat higher and the bars a bit lower. That can put more weight on your wrists.

Dennis

Archived